Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 07:36   #1

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Boston to Annapolis

Folks,

Looking to gut check sailing/motoring time from Boston to Annapolis... anyone here that can comment on the amount of time it would take assuming 4-5 knots and motoring?

I charted it out but before I throw a number out there I thought I would ask to save personal embarrassment and general internet ridicule and just ask experienced folks.

Recommended marinas on the Jersey shore for leaving the boat for a week?

Thanks,

- z
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:53   #2

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: Boston to Annapolis

If you're day hopping coastwise down LI sound and along the Jersey shore but pushing on hard every day with no sightseeing I would say 6-7 days to Cape May, and from there usually three days to Annapolis. I have made it from Newport to Annapolis in four days, but that was going offshore to Cape May, one overnight there, and then one long day up to the head of the Chesapeake and one long day down to Annapolis. However, I usually figure on 5-6 days for Newport to Annapolis, but it can easily take more than a week if the weather doesn't cooperate and you are going along the coast.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:53   #3

Boat: S2, 9.2, 30 ft
Send a message via Skype™ to RW Sailor

planning to do the opposite way End of june, plus a bit further up to Kennebunk Port. My assumption was about 10 days to two weeks... and that seems quite possible if these statements here are right. Anything particular to take care of on the way? And from what I understand going norht is easier with wind mostly from the back. So going down south might take a bit more time...
RW Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:59   #4

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Thanks Kettlewell, I had estimated 9 days... about 50 miles a day.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 16:19   #5

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
Thanks Kettlewell, I had estimated 9 days... about 50 miles a day.
I think that's doable, depending on the weather. The Jersey shore is the worst stretch with the only all-weather inlets being AC and Cape May. Manasquan and Barnegat are usually OK, particularly if the wind is offshore, but I wouldn't recommend unless the weather is calm and/or you have local knowledge. I seem to recall it is something like 85 miles from Sandy Hook to AC so what I usually do is no matter what the hour I am exiting New York harbor I keep going if the weather is good, doing an overnighter and getting into Cape May the next afternoon before dark hopefully. Just keep a close look out for the all the little fishing boats along the coast, day or night. I usually angle offshore a bit after dark, but you can pretty much hug the coast during the day, keeping an eye out for the many charted shoals.

For the boat heading north, you might want to do a run from Cape May to Block Island to make time, though passing through NY harbor is not to be missed if you haven't already done it. Watch your current in Delaware Canal and Bay, Hells Gate, LI Sound, and the CC Canal. I always carry a copy of the Eldridge Tide & Pilot Book onboard, despite any electronics--lets me lie in bed at night and plan out how best to play the various currents. Make sure you check in with the CC Canal harbor control people.

Tags
annapolis