I hope this is not to late...I know of a few good anchorages from accessible from hawk Chanel.
1. Key Largo
- North side of Rodriguez Key
2. Tavernier - South side of Indian Key
3. Long Key - go thru Channel 5 bridge to the inside and anchor
at Jewfish Hole** it is named on the charts
and is a great anchorage with protection and inside/outside access
4. Boot Key Harbor - it is a shock to pay 25cents/gal or more for tap water
and it is crowded and dilapidated but marathon is still a good place to stop. If you don't want to deal with the "issues" of mooring
"in" boot key harbor a lot of people are now anchoring
just outside the entrance of BKH.
5. Newfound Harbor is also a good place to anchor from Hawk Channel.