Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2018, 11:48   #1

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 42F
Boat guardianship at Saint Maartin and Puerto Rico

Our boat is nn Grenada now and we want to bring her North in couple of passages. I will be looking for a place to safely leave her for a month or two at Saint Marteen, and later in Puerto Rico (most likely Fajardo). Any advices? recommendation? things to be aware of?
pskudlarski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2018, 12:10   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Boat guardianship at Saint Maartin and Puerto Rico

Drop these guys a line.. they should have some good recommendations as they've been in SMX since Noah..
Shrimpy's Yacht Support

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2018, 14:27   #3

Boat: Vagabond 42
Re: Boat guardianship at Saint Maartin and Puerto Rico

We have kept Callisto in St Martin for almost 20 years (on and off). I am relaunching her next week and we are leaving for Antigua. St Martin just isn't coming back! Right now there are almost no marinas fully operational (with water and power at dockside). Simpson Bay Yacht Club Marina isn't open and Anse Marcel is still completely devastated. Fort St Louis is open but I find the surge in there untenable. I have always been a big St Martin booster but we are finally giving up for at least this season.
callistov42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 06:16   #4

Boat: Little Harbor 46 (1988)
Re: Boat guardianship at Saint Maartin and Puerto Rico

Hello, it's almost a year since the last post on this thread so I'm hoping for an update. I have the same plan as the OP: I'm in Grenada now and considering leaving the boat in St Maartin for ~two months from Nov to Jan. Searching for marinas shows some that look open and fine, but when I look at the satellite view on Google maps it seems there are others that don't show up on searches - or at least there used to be. Nearly all the views seem to be pre-hurricanes so I realize (and I am saddened by) that some probably have not yet recovered.

For example there seems to be a big marina with a travel lift and a big yard just west of Island Water World in Simpson Bay, but I can't figure out what it is.

I'm considering either being on a dock or possibly being hauled out. Security is important but I don't need fancy amenities (although I do like them).

Thanks for fresh advice.

JR
jr_spyder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, Puerto Rico