Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 16:39   #1

Boat: Island Packet 45 - Far Niente
Bimini - Customs Check In

I have done a bit of research and have conflicting reports on Bimini as a good Bahamas customs check in point.

1.) A few cruisers indicate that they could only get a 30 day cursing permit when checking in at Bimini. Once commented that it was one guy there who was the major problem. I'd like to get a 90, 120 or 180 permit. Has anyone had a problem checking in at Bimini and getting only a 30 permit?

2.) There seems to be big differences in opinion on the suitability of the marinas there (as well as the anchorage) for the process of checking in. I'd like to stay there a day or two/three. What do those of you who check in here think with regard to the marinas and anchorage?

Thanks,

Jeff G
s/v Far Niente
IP45 #33
JeffGIP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 16:48   #2

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Re: Bimini - Customs Check In

Jeff, This issue is not just related to Bimini and you could get a 30 day permit any where you check in... or a 120 day permit. I can tell you that if you check in anywhere that an Immigration agent is not present then Customs is only allowed by law to give you 30 days. The fact is that 30 days is the law in the Bahamas, period. However, Immigrations has a lot of flexibility and will often give cruisers 60, 90 or 120 days. It may even come down to the agent that checks you in. So the answer to your question is, there are no guarantees anywhere. Check ahead with boaters that have ACTUALLY checked in there within weeks of your planned check in date. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 17:18   #3

Boat: Leopard catamaran, 43'
Jeff, I don't know when your trip is, but I am on my way to Bimini to check out. We checked in on Long Island, got a cruising permit with no expiration date on it. I knew my stay was going to be less than 30 days so I wasn't concerned. My fishing license does expire on the 21st of February yet was purchased on the 27th of January. I was charged $300 for the boat and 3 crew and an additional $25 for the 4th person. All my research says up to 4 people. However he insisted it was only good for 3. I'll let you know how Bimini goes and try to get info for checking in, I'll need it for my return trip.
Capt'n Bill
s/v Steppin Up
Bill6878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 17:24   #4

Boat: Hans Christian 33

We stayed here (Bimini Sands Resort & Marina in South Bimini Island, Bimini, Bahamas) on S. Bimini for a $1/ft. A cab can take you to the S. Bimini airport for check-in. Had no problems getting a 90 day. If you want to visit N. Bimini, it's a close simple dinghy ride.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 05:14   #5

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Any of the marinas in N. Bimini are a close walk to C&I, but if it's closed, you used to need to walk down to the police station. Any of the marina folks will have the forms you need to fill out (although you might not ever reach them on your VHF!) We never had a problem with getting 90 days, but we know others who have (in many different entry ports). I don't think it's "technically" allowed, but boats anchor and dinghy to shore to check in regularly without issue. The anchorage is pretty messy and the marinas are cheap. DON'T fill up with water at the marina docks unless you test the water! If it's free, it's probably brackish at best.
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:40   #6

Boat: Albin Vega 27' Gemini Dreams

We just got cleared in and received 100 days from immigration and 5 months on the customs form. North Bimini at the office.
w

Tags
Bimini Islands, customs