Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2013, 10:21   #1

Boat: Hunter 49 - FELA
Big Sarasota Pass (Big Pass)

A few weeks ago we called a local towing comp. for local knowlwdge. Fog offshore was very thick. My plan was to enter Sarasota Bay skipping Venice inlet and the company advised us to go further north to Longboat Pass. When I called the bridge tender, he said I will raise the bridge when I see your vessel.......... How is he going to see the vessel if i cant see 50ft in front of the bow? As we turned east there it was a few yards away!!!

After a few days I am wondering if it safe to enter/exit BP. I scouted the inlet from the end of Liido Key and could not see any nav aids west of green 9. Are there nav aids showing the inlet? Controlling depth? I understnad that under some conditions (NW, W or SW with strong wind) its not recommended to use the inlet/pass.

Thanks
Old 14-03-2013, 10:42   #2

Re: Big Sarasota Pass (Big Pass)

It's a dicey pass. The Sarasota Sailing Squadron has some directions at their website, let me see...

here'tis

Big Pass Information - Sarasota Yacht Club
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 10:53   #3

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by velero View Post
A few weeks ago we called a local towing comp. for local knowlwdge. Fog offshore was very thick. My plan was to enter Sarasota Bay skipping Venice inlet and the company advised us to go further north to Longboat Pass. When I called the bridge tender, he said I will raise the bridge when I see your vessel.......... How is he going to see the vessel if i cant see 50ft in front of the bow? As we turned east there it was a few yards away!!!

After a few days I am wondering if it safe to enter/exit BP. I scouted the inlet from the end of Liido Key and could not see any nav aids west of green 9. Are there nav aids showing the inlet? Controlling depth? I understnad that under some conditions (NW, W or SW with strong wind) its not recommended to use the inlet/pass.

Thanks
The "pass" at Big Pass moves around a lot, virtually with every heavy weather event, and shoals up very quickly. It would be very foolish to attempt that pass in anything but a very shaol draft yacht. Either come in at Venice and run the ICW or at Longboat Pass although the channel there has moved around a lot as well and does not match the channel that appears on most charts (see various NTM). Note that Longboat is a narrow channel and is subject to sharp, strong, currents. You'll want to enter there at slack water. If you can't see the bridge from the channel entrace mark due to fog, continue north and come into Tampa Bay through the Southwest Channel.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 11:29   #4

Boat: Hunter 49 - FELA

I draw 5.5ft and air draft of 64.3 ft....... Its 13+/_ nm to either Venice or Tampa Bay and the ICW from LP to Marina Jack was very narrow. Oh well I may have to go back to Annapolis and forget about passes/inlets/bridges...LOL
Old 14-03-2013, 12:43   #5

The joys of sailing on the west coast of Florida.

On the other hand, today's high in Tampa was about 20 degrees warmer than in Annapolis and the difference between the overnight lows was even greater. So it's not all bad.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 14:20   #6

Boat: Pearson 34-II

We kept our boat on the West coast for two years. It draws 4 feet. Sarasota Pass was always a no go because of the shifting shoals. We used Longboat Pass on a regular basis whenever we entered the intercoastal. It does have considerable current and is quite narrow. The bridge tenders seem to think that a sailboat can approach closely and remain steady in the strong current before they open the bridge. We never followed their orders and held at least 100 yards from the bridge and told them we would approach quickly once the bridge began to open. Numerous times, we had powerboats cut in front of us or attempt to negotiate the small channel at the same time. They were completely clueless. We also experienced a very rude catamaran charter captain, who used the pass daily, try to intimidate us into moving closer before the bridge had begun to open. We had a very serious conversation once both of us passed through the cut. If you choose to use Longboat Pass, be your own captain, exercise caution and safety and you'll be fine. Be prepared for other boats also making the transit. Good luck and good sailing.
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 10:02   #7

Boat: Morgan 27
I sail a morgan 28 with a 4.5 draft and have come in and out Big Pass many times. You must check with the Sarasota yacht club, they maintain the bouy markers and are always moving. I have never seen less then 7ft, however it can become very narrow when the monster size boat with his noise high comes barreling through the Chanel with wakes 3-4ft high. As far as being able to moore up a nice spot is just north of the ringling bridge to the east, there is a fishing shop and a nice size cove that will protect from heavey north winds... From Sarasota Bay have fun sailing and hope to see ya around.
Autumns Wind is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sarasota