Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2015, 18:17   #1

Boat: Pearson 35
Best way to Trinidad Cuba?

In November of this year my wife and I will be going to Trinidad Cuba on our Pearson 35 sailboat, Fleetwind. Our home port is Palm Bay, Florida. Fleetwind draws 3.5 feet with board up and 7 down. It appears that the best way would be to cross from Ft Pierce to West End Grand Bahamas. Then around Nassau down to Turks and Caicos Islands. From there sail between Haiti and Cuba to Cayman Islands. (We want to visit friends there.) Then north to check in at Cayo Largo.

I would appreciate any advice you may have as we are not the most seasoned sailors. Last year we made a trip to the Bahamas and I am sure that if a mistake can be made, we have done it at least once.
Nedrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 19:15   #2

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
Re: Best way to Trinidad Cuba?

Cienfuegos is a designated port of entry and a great place to provision (and visit). The bay is very well protected and many people stop here to leave their boats while they travel over land. Many head to Trinidad via a car as its much easier than trying to sail it against the wind. If you do choose to sail it, then Cienfuegos is much closer than Cayo Largo to Trinidad.

Personally, I would head to Cayman Islands after Trinidad, but it depends on your destination after that.

P.S. November can have some nasty weather around south Cuba.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Cuba