Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2010, 18:14   #1

Boat: Saving up for my dream girl
Best Sailing Around Puerto Rico

Looking for stories/suggestions about the waters in and around puerto rico and both the U.S. and British Virgin Islands. Also passages between PR and Vi and nearby destinations e.g. Bahamas, St. Kitts, Dominican Republic.
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2010, 23:12   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Close to PR the Spanish Virgins are lovely. Do you mean actually sailing or also spending time at anchor?

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 19:21   #3

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
For Puerto Rico, the main cruising grounds are all along the south coast with many wonderful little bays and beaches, diving and snorkeling opportunities. The same thing for Culebra and Viegues. I always plan to run the line of islands from Fajardo to Culebra whenever I am in the area.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 20:24   #4

Boat: Saving up for my dream girl
I've looked at a few maps of that little cluster of islands between Fajardo and Roosevelt Roads. Has anyone been to Mona? It looks like a nice place but I read somewhere that there are an unusual number of sqalls in the spring and summer off the west coast of PR.
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2010, 21:21   #5
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Ohhh no, you do not want to play in the Mona Passage! Been there, done that, was called Tropical Storm Claudette the next morning. Also, Mona is kinda off-limits, I don't remember if it was military or research or something, but they do allow you in for hiding from the weather.

You really want to go east to the Spanish Virgins with Culebra as the hang-out. If you want to go further, sail all the way up to Virgin Gorda. If you want more, look north of Gorda on your map for that one island most cruisers skip.

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2010, 04:25   #6

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
If for some strange reason you wanted to stop at Mona Island (US possession) off the west coast of Puerto Rico, there is an anchorage and moorings on the western side of the island at Anclaje Sardinero. Mona Island is 35 nm from Punta Cana and 40nm from Boqueron. My friends in power yachts stop there on day passages from Punta Cana to Boqueron. There is a staked channel through the reef into the anchorage. The Mona Passage is not known to be pleasant sailing very often especially during the daylight hours.
- - The little island off the eastern end of P.R. are mobbed by local P.R. boats during the weekends and some have resorts and tourist facilities on them. Until you get to Culebra and/or Viegues the small boat traffic on the eastern side of P.R. is tremendous, seems everybody (sort of) on P.R. has a boat and goes out each weekend and mobs the nearby islands. But they are all very beautiful little islands.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2010, 05:55   #7
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Try using the custom Google search feature in my signature link for "Culebra" and "Vieques". There's been a fair amount of discussion on the Spanish Virgins in past threads.
Old 28-02-2010, 06:37   #8

Boat: 1973 Ericson 27
I lived on Roosevelt Roads for 3 1/2 years (my dad was stationed there). I know a popular thing for those of us living on the base was to take a boat over to Vieques and go snorkling at "Green Beach." It was some amazing coral & tons of colorful fish- years later it still stands out in my mind. We used to gather conch from there as well.

Good luck and have fun!
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 18:31   #9

Boat: Beneteau 456
Some clarifications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
If for some strange reason you wanted to stop at Mona Island (US possession) off the west coast of Puerto Rico, there is an anchorage and moorings on the western side of the island at Anclaje Sardinero. Mona Island is 35 nm from Punta Cana and 40nm from Boqueron. My friends in power yachts stop there on day passages from Punta Cana to Boqueron. There is a staked channel through the reef into the anchorage. The Mona Passage is not known to be pleasant sailing very often especially during the daylight hours.
- - The little island off the eastern end of P.R. are mobbed by local P.R. boats during the weekends and some have resorts and tourist facilities on them. Until you get to Culebra and/or Viegues the small boat traffic on the eastern side of P.R. is tremendous, seems everybody (sort of) on P.R. has a boat and goes out each weekend and mobs the nearby islands. But they are all very beautiful little islands.
1.Mona Island is part of Puerto Rico and it is a natural reserve under the Puerto Rico Natural Resources Department.
2.No not every weekend is loaded with powerboats on the eastern coast of Puerto Rico. Only the summer months are crowded and on long holly day weekends. Get a list of the local holly days and you should be fine.
3. The only little island that is rented by a resort is Palominos. You can still visit it and all the others which are lovely.
avazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2010, 08:07   #10

Boat: St. Francis 43 Brisa
Dont go By Vieques and Cullebra....both awesome places to visit!
sailingaway221 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Puerto Rico