Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2015, 08:07   #1

Best route sailing Grenada to Miami (March)

(Best route sailing Grenada to Miami) Main question is north or south of Cuba ? Done south of Cuba ..... but not sure what lies to the north that time of year.
Thanks
mountholly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 08:16   #2

Boat: Catana 471
Re: Best route sailing Grenada to Miami (March)

Well, I've done Grenada to Palm Beach, but I spent about four months doing it, including March. Cuba doesn't have to figure in whatsoever unless you want to stop there. Delivery or "cruise"?

2 Hulls Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 08:29   #3

Thanks 2 hulls Dave, I mentioned March, and I don't stop ... I guess I'm looking for someone who has done this direct sail, either to the north or the longer, around the SW of Cuba. I always do these longer passages non-stop.
Thanks again .. so it sounds like you went to the north?
Was the wind and or current favorable? Please don't answer if you don't have time or don't know the route I'm talking of .... again, thanks.
mountholly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 08:59   #4

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I've done the Old Bahama Channel route twice in March-April. Once when the wind was light and the current was against me and once when the wind was good and the current was with me. Normally the wind is good and the current is with you.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:17   #5

Boat: Catana 471

Actually, for the latter portion we went from the USVI non-stop north of the Silver Bank to TCI, then cruised through Bahamas.

I gather many folks transit the Old Bahamas Channel on the north side of Cuba going direct to SE US from the Virgins/PR/DR. I have not done that.

As for currents, there's the prevailing NW set along the Antilles, but it's not too much. I can't speak to the Old Bahamas Channel current.

By March the continental cold fronts are starting to get less frequent and less dramatic, but this is a crap shoot and for sure they're not over yet. You'll have to play the hands you're dealt in this regard. Otherwise, trades are prevailing, as you would expect.

If you cut the corner across the Carib basin rather than go along the Windwards and Leewards your choice seems to be cut thru the Mona Passage (east of DR) or Windward Passage (east of Cuba). This can be dictated by weather at the time.

Recommend you subscribe to Chris Parker's services. He'll be a tremendous help.

Good luck,
2 Hulls Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:56   #6

Boat: Sailboat

We did the northern route in Jan/Feb. As stated above, the (winter) cold fronts do influence the weather in the Old Bahamas Channel., but there are bail out options, we stopped in Puerto Rico and in Turks and Caicos to let fronts pass. Current North if Cuba is favorable.
LeaseOnLife is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, Grenada, miami, route, sail, sailing