Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2016, 19:24   #31

Re: Best prices for RIB/OB in Florida?

Sorry I don't buy the power curve thing- run too many 2 strokes between outboards and motorcycles. They are great at 75-100% throttle. Idle to half throttle they suck performance wise, and they are inefficient to boot. And i couldnt care less about the hole shot on a dinghy. Center console with triple 250s running 90% speed out to the fishing grounds, sure 2 stroke works great. 8-12' RIB to get on plane, then throttle back to just above planing speed to cruise through an anchorage or to go exploring a new area- this is where 4 strokes shine.

Yes regarding weight you give up a bit to go 4 stroke. But the Suzuki is super light for a 4 stroke and has efi- I have a hard time arguing against that. Though I will conceed that I'm fairly young, in good shape, and not a small framed human, so the added weight/awkwardness of 4 stroke really isn't an issue for me. Outside of weight, I'm not seeing the appeal.

Thanks again for all the RIB info, will be placing an order this week.
Old 05-01-2016, 05:15   #32

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitebread117 View Post
Sorry I don't buy the power curve thing- run too many 2 strokes between outboards and motorcycles. They are great at 75-100% throttle. Idle to half throttle they suck performance wise, and they are inefficient to boot. And i couldnt care less about the hole shot on a dinghy. Center console with triple 250s running 90% speed out to the fishing grounds, sure 2 stroke works great. 8-12' RIB to get on plane, then throttle back to just above planing speed to cruise through an anchorage or to go exploring a new area- this is where 4 strokes shine.

There are not too many people out there who understand these points.

I just refilled our 3 gallon tank on our 4 stroke. Got 3 weeks out of it. Our friend just refilled his 6 gallon tank on his 5hp less 2 stroke with similar usage in the same time frame.

And he had to replace his plugs due to fouling. Our plugs are 2 years old and look new.

Ours is due for an oil change, though, so I guess there is some downside...

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 05:28   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
There are not too many people out there who understand these points.

I just refilled our 3 gallon tank on our 4 stroke. Got 3 weeks out of it. Our friend just refilled his 6 gallon tank on his 5hp less 2 stroke with similar usage in the same time frame.

And he had to replace his plugs due to fouling. Our plugs are 2 years old and look new.

Ours is due for an oil change, though, so I guess there is some downside...

Mark
Thanks Mark. I've been waiting to point out that the weight difference between the 15hp Yamaha 2-stroke (80 lbs) and the 20hp Suzuki 4-stroke (97 pounds) is less than carrying an extra 3 gallons of gas (18.9 pounds).
JayH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 05:32   #34

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Best prices for RIB/OB in Florida?

Actually, most people have the Yamaha Enduro, which has a dry weight of 89 lbs, so the vaunted weight differential is 7 lbs - switching to being even more in favor of the 4strokes when the extra need for fuel is included.

Yamaha 4strokes are unusually heavy in their class, though, and most people just compare those weights instead of looking further.

And also, when people are comparing weights, they usually aren't concerned with the overall weight of the dinghy, just the weight of lifting the OB on and off.

For those people, any weight difference in this size engine is inconsequential. They need to be considering either a lift, in which a few pounds difference doesn't matter, or a much smaller engine entirely - where the weight differentials don't mean much.

I have spent far too much time in too many threads listing ACTUAL weight specifications of current 2&4 stroke models - showing that there is no practical difference between them - only to have people pile in with the same old, outdated beliefs that there is. Even when faced with the actual data!

It is natural cognitive dissonance, so I have mostly stopped trying.

The same goes for "buy brand A because parts are available everywhere". The reality is that most dealers don't carry large parts inventories anymore and instead rely on shipping as needed from central distribution points - usually out of the country. The same as one can do themselves for any engine. Not to mention that none of the people saying this can point out to me any of these "parts" that need constant replacement, nor can I understand why anyone would buy an engine that needed constant access to "parts".

We have never had one of these "preferred" engines, instead just carrying around typical spares like a carb kit, impeller, zinc and plugs. In the past 12 years we have needed one impeller, and I changed the plugs once just because.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:55   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Leopard 46 catamaran

We just bought a 12 ft Apex from 84 Inflatables in Ft Lauderdale for $4,200.00
We also found a good deal on a Yamaha 20 4 stroke for $2,650.00
The Yamaha 20 is 112 lbs and the combination is working well. We are able to plane out 5 mid size adults.
davecalvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:08   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

To further make the weight point,

Hp to weight ratio
Yamaha 15 Enduro is 5.93 lbs per HP
Suzuki 20 is 4.95 lbs per HP

So I believe an argument can be made that the 4 stroke Suzuki is lighter than the Yamaha 2 stroke

Compared to my old Mariner 25 HP, which was really a Yamaha, fuel consumption of the Suzuki really is about half.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:39   #37

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

The negative issue with av gas is that it has lead in it that tends to get lead deposits on the spark plugs. We clean plugs at every 100 hour inspection on aircraft. The lead cushions the valves closing. My '67 Austin Healey 3000 required leaded fuel until I replaced the valve seats with modern hardened seats. If your engine has an oxygen sensor for engine management the lead will mess up the O2 sensor in short order.

Av fuel is much more stable than car fuel. I've been told by a distributor that a year to av fuel is = to a month to car fuel.

Most of my small equipment (chain saw, weed eater, lawn mower and garden tractor) lists a requirement to use alcohol free gas. There is actually one gas station in town that sells it!
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 22:46   #38

Do not buy a used outboard from Hardcore marine. I have nothing nice to say about Hardcore marine in Fort Lauderdale. Hardcore marine will not stand behind what the sell, please do not be trusting like myself and do not give them a single dollar.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
CaptDAJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, price, rib