Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2006, 07:47   #16

Location: presently gallivanting back across the Pacific... Pago Pago at the moment
Boat: Hylas 49 - GALLIVANTER
It's hard to beat St Thomas as a provisioning port.

Cost-U-Less, PriceSmart, Budget Marine, US Post Office, Ace Hardware, Home Depot, K Mart and more.

The most popular anchorages throughout the US & British Virgin Islands are often crowded during the high season, naturally, but one can always find their own secluded slice of paradise around most any corner - provided they know how to use an anchor.

I find every place in the Caribbean (if not the world) has its good and bad points. The same can be said about people, too.

Personally - I choose to overlook the bad qualities of the places we visit and the people we meet.

I believe the Virgin Islands are among the finest cruising destinations in the world.

And after five years - I still like it here.

Kirk
Gallivanters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2006, 08:47   #17

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)
Ahoy Chuckiebits

We are putting the boat on the hard this weekend, and will continue to work for ~95 more weeks. Then we will start up for a return trip. We expect to pop back out into the Bay of Fundy in October of 2008, and follow the same route down as before.

What are your target dates?
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2006, 17:15   #18

Boat: Morgan 382 "Tropical Wave"
The plan

Sonosailor,

Our target is Sept 2007 for 10 months, then put the boat up in Trinidad or Florida, back to work for a year, then hopefully full-time from Sept 2009.

Depends a bit on how much we really spend the 1st year, and how well the markets do over the next 3 years. Unfortunately the IT industry isn't known for it's lucrative pension plans!

John & Faye in Halifax
chuckiebits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2006, 08:21   #19
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 44' CSY "Walkover" cutter, La Nostra
I can only speak for "my" area (Grenada to St. Lucia), but the Imray-Iolare charts are far superior for these areas, and the guides by Chris Doyle are great. Most of my guests think that the Tobago Keys are wonderful (I like 'em, too), and I'm quite fond of Bequia (some great places to provision). My personal taste, however, is to get away from the crowds ... and if I told you where I go, well ... you get the idea!! ;-)
St. Georges, Grenada is also excellent for provisioning.
Tyrrel Bay on Carriacou is a wonderful place for repairs, upgrades, etc. Excellent little boat yard (it's where I keep La Nostra off season), a Frenchman on a barge for great aluminum and stainless work, a good sail loft which will also do all sorts of canvas work, cushions, etc. and some very good food (especially Pizza!!!)
Hey - come on down, wander around a bit and make your own choices!
Oh, yes - we're below the hurricane belt and 99% miss us, but try telling that to the victims of Ivan in '05!
Located in the Sunny Caribbean
"Life's short ... Eat dessert first!"
harryrezz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean