Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2012, 09:56   #1

Best O/N BVI Anchorage

Looking for your favorite overnight (day or two), secluded, picturesque, good holding anchorage in the BVI. I'm doing 10 days in April & may just want to chill out for a day or two somewhere.
rpoint16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 06:57   #2

Re: Best O/N BVI anchorage

When you say anchor in the BVI,you somewhat limit yourself.Anagoda,parts of North sound and outside of Spanishtown come to mind as the best possible places to drop a hook
jwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 07:49   #3

Boat: Hunter 430

Most picturesque, White Bay, Jost Van Dyke, but not the best holding grounds. Plenty of mooring balls to pick up for around $35 per night.
hogfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 08:01   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfighter View Post
Most picturesque, White Bay, Jost Van Dyke, but not the best holding grounds. Plenty of mooring balls to pick up for around $35 per night.
We definately plan on mooring at JVD. I would just like to get away from the "mooring population" for a day or two.
Old 15-01-2012, 08:04   #5

Boat: Hunter 430

Then Anagoda after North Sound is the place for you.
hogfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 08:38   #6

I would suggest Little Harbour on Jost Van Dyke. Sydneys is located here and the Family is quick to help you with anything you need. Best ribs and lobster anywhere in the BVI.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jost Van Dyke.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	36474  
Branin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 09:21   #7

Boat: 58 Taswell AS

I like Benures Bay on Norman Island. it is around the corner from the Bight to the East. It is very quiet and usually has few to no other biats in it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Norman_Island.jpg
Views:	669
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	36472  
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2012, 09:57   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branin View Post
I would suggest Little Harbour on Jost Van Dyke. Sydneys is located here and the Family is quick to help you with anything you need. Best ribs and lobster anywhere in the BVI.
Last time I was there, we arrived late and there really was no room to anchor. Sydney spotted us getting ready to leave and came out in a dinghy and convinced us to stay, had us anchor near the beach at the north end. So far so good, we had a good time at Sydney's that night.

But a front came through and our boat was soon swinging into other anchored boats so as the last boat anchored, we had to move. It was no fun, steaming around trying to find a better spot in the dark but the anchorage was maxed out. We ended up anchoring in about 50 feet of water. Since our scope was only about 3:1 and it was still blowing pretty good, we had to set an anchor watch so we did not get much sleep.

Not a great way to start our cruise.

Lessons learned:

If you want solitude, Little Harbour ain't the place.. If you do go there, get there early and anchor in the best spot available (not near the beach).
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 07:51   #9

Boat: Jeanneau 57

I've just spent another week in the BVI, and am now in St. Martin for a couple of days prior to returning to the BVI. My favorite location is the North Sound, with several anchoring areas off Prickly Pear which are within easy access to either Saba, The Bitter End or Leverick Bay.

North Sound sunset last week

p.s. The island is called Anegada and is a wonderful place to stay, I've stayed many a night there but my current draft is over 8.5 feet so I'd need to anchor outside the channel and it is a long way to the docks from there.
Old 17-01-2012, 18:00   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
I've just spent another week in the BVI, and am now in St. Martin for a couple of days prior to returning to the BVI. My favorite location is the North Sound, with several anchoring areas off Prickly Pear which are within easy access to either Saba, The Bitter End or Leverick Bay.

p.s. The island is called Anegada and is a wonderful place to stay, I've stayed many a night there but my current draft is over 8.5 feet so I'd need to anchor outside the channel and it is a long way to the docks from there.
Beautiful pick!
Thanks
Old 18-01-2012, 04:39   #11

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461

GOSH if i tell you on an open forum that sorta screws up the seclusion part

Little Harbour Peter Island BUT you have to Med Moor

White Bay Peter Island

Savannah Bay Virgin Gorda

Honeymoon point NSVG BUT they have put down two moorings right where i anchored for years GRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Lee Bay Great Camanoe

Clear out and go over to Cruz Bay AND check in (you dont have to check out if you are going back to the BVI's) and sit in Francis Bay OR Leinster Bay (on a NP mooring only $15pn)

seems like more and more charterers are coming back to the BVI's multiple times and getting away from the beaten track locations anchorages now
Highland Fling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 10:44   #12

Boat: temporarily boatless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by speciald@ocens. View Post
I like Benures Bay on Norman Island. it is around the corner from the Bight to the East. It is very quiet and usually has few to no other biats in it.
I agree. What a spot if you want scenery and tranquility.
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 16:21   #13

Boat: Gulfstar 50 Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to BojanglesIV
Re: Best O/N BVI Anchorage

white bay on the 'back' of Peter Island. Very quiet, but Peter Island resort maintains the beach in pristine condition. We have had the anchorage to ourselves a few times. Also, it's incredibly sheltered.
BojanglesIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 17:23   #14

Re: Best O/N BVI Anchorage

Thanks for all the feedback!

When I develop my itinerary I will research everything mentioned.
Old 25-01-2012, 18:13   #15

Boat: <sold the 140' steel flybridge ketch & Hunter CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post

Only place we liked better than the North Sound was Jack Bay on the North side of Anegada. Since we did a week @ in an Outremer and also a week in a Lagoon. Their shallow draft made getting close to the beach a breeze. Jack Bay was literally a seafood buffet of epic proportions. So much so that we went back again on our 2nd cat charter. We did a mono for 3 days between. Throw in the Paris & London boat shows and we had a pretty good month looking for a new boat.
Wish had seen you Zanshin as we had been in the market for a Jeanneau 57 also and your website was the most informative and helpful that we found. Much more helpful than our/any salesman/agent. We also did the factory tour last month. Thank you for all the hard work and effort that went into your website. Currently we are in the Western Med waiting for daylight to dock and we are having this big mono pulled and surveyed tommorrow.
When our paths finally cross on the waters Zanshin would you prefer Johnnie Walker Blue or Double Black? Least we can do for all the help and answers we gleaned from your website. Thanks again.
John & Carol
Johnny Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, British Virgin Islands