Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2008, 20:05   #16

Boat: Albemarle, 27 - Largodelight
My wife and I were just wed in the caribbean on a cruise ship. It offered the best service to plan and execute a first class wedding at a very cost effective budget in the tropics.
In exchange for saving a ton of money compared to having it at home, we paid for some friends and family that could not afford the trip. I also paid for ground transportation to the ship. Everyone that attended (45 plus) got a great vacation (four days) and a fun wedding.
All of our family either love cruise ships or they had never been. In both cases this was the wedding to remember.
largodelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 20:53   #17
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
I would highly recomend that you consider the bare boat charter First, before the wedding. Who knows, it could dramaticaly change any future plans... for either of you.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 04:46   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Getting Married in the Caribbean: Legal Requirements for Select Islands
<visailing.com/articles/married-in-caribbean/married-in-caribbean.shtml>
Goto:
Getting Married in the Caribbean: Legal Requirements for Select Islands

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 06:11   #19
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
okay, but?.....I bet nobody pulled the head off of a live chicken on the cruise ship. I married Mel twice. Once in the courthouse of Oakland Ca, and 3 years later on Samal Island, so her father could walk her down the aisle.....aka BEACH
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP4365.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	236.9 KB
ID:	5183   Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0034.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	409.5 KB
ID:	5184  

Name:	WEDDING-MEL&JOHN.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	5185   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP4247.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	238.0 KB
ID:	5186  

imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 06:24   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I married Maggie twice. Once in Toronto, thence again 26 years later, in Staniel Cay, Bahamas, where her father got to “give her away”.
We celebrated the fortieth anniversary of our first wedding, on Sept. 14.

No "live" chickens involved at either ceremony.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 06:29   #21
Eternal Member

Congradulations Gord....that's a heck of a milestone. I saw the pic on Staniel Cay. You 2 make a lovely couple. I am waiting for pics off the cruise ship. Otherwise the wedding is just hearsay........LOLOLOLOLOL
Old 25-09-2008, 09:12   #22

We got married once in Las Vegas and once in Saigon for the family. (my wife is Vietnamese). The all inclusives in Jamaica usually have staff that do nothing but weddings and they really have some beautiful ones.
TexSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2008, 09:27   #23
Back to the game

Boat: Pearson Countess 44 wannabe
i2frolic actually took her wife, a well kept treasure on her country, and flew her to America, I think is about time that you sail back to her country and return her safely sir...why you americans are taking our third word women
Old 25-09-2008, 10:16   #24
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexSail View Post
We got married once in Las Vegas and once in Saigon for the family. (my wife is Vietnamese). The all inclusives in Jamaica usually have staff that do nothing but weddings and they really have some beautiful ones.
I got married in Bangkok. Under £400, including rings (wedding snap in my Avatar ). Main cost saving was her family. Mostly dead or not on speaking terms (or at least "I am not spending money on those b#stards terms". Even I was more polite about it ). Marry an orphan
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2008, 09:31   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I got married in Bangkok. Under £400, including rings (wedding snap in my Avatar ). Main cost saving was her family. Mostly dead or not on speaking terms (or at least "I am not spending money on those b#stards terms". Even I was more polite about it ). Marry an orphan
Nice picture.

We were married in a ballroom on the top floor of the Saigon Hotel. This was in late May, the monsoon season. I was told that the air conditioning would be quite cool, so I packed a lightweight wool suit. As luck would have it, the AC went out and they opened the windows. Saigon was so hot that when our plane landed and they opened the door, I thought the plane must have caught fire with the blast of heat that hit us. I have never sweated so much and I grew up on the Texas-Louisiana border and am accustomed to heat and humidity. That was in 1997 and it was right after Americans were able to travel to Vietnam again. The flight from my small town in Texas was 31.5 hours with layovers in Dallas-Fort Worth, Los Angeles, and Taipei. By the time we landed in Saigon, my butt felt like a sack of concrete.

Saigon was quite primitive then but is a very pleasant place to visit. We also enjoy Thailand. Our good friend lives off of Sukhumvit Road if you know that place. He is an American married to a Thai girl and works as a doctor in such remote locales as Burma and Ethiopia. I really like the Thais and would not mind living in Thailand in the winter when I retire.
Old 26-09-2008, 09:36   #26
Eternal Member

Soft Air,

Because they are willing to go............lololololololol
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMGP4602.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	239.2 KB
ID:	5201  
Old 26-09-2008, 10:08   #27
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
The flight from my small town in Texas was 31.5 hours with layovers in Dallas-Fort Worth, Los Angeles, and Taipei. By the time we landed in Saigon, my butt felt like a sack of concrete.
Ouch!

Quote:
Our good friend lives off of Sukhumvit Road if you know that place. He is an American married to a Thai girl and works as a doctor in such remote locales as Burma and Ethiopia. I really like the Thais and would not mind living in Thailand in the winter when I retire.
Sukhumvit? that's a very longggggggg road. Some parts less well travelled than others
Old 26-09-2008, 10:12   #28

Sukhimvit Soi 12 if that helps. (half a block from Cabbages & Condoms)
Old 26-09-2008, 10:37   #29
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Sukhimvit Soi 12 if that helps. (half a block from Cabbages & Condoms)

Funny you mention "Cabbages and Condoms" meant to go to that restaurant for many years - only went their for the first time last year (and not for the Condoms!).

(In case others are wondering it's a long established - 15/20 years? - "safe sex restaurant" (not "in" I hasten to add! - it's all very respectable, even if the models with dresses made of Condoms and contraceptive pill packets* are kinda weird).

*on left of photo
Old 26-09-2008, 12:37   #30

Everyone familiar with Bangkok seems to know that place. The other landmarks I was going to give you were the Swedish Embassy and the Sheraton.