Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 18-03-2012, 10:17   #16

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
Re: Best living & sailing on U.S. East Coast?

The OP wants a nice place to live, summer and winter, but he also wants a job. This precludes travelling north in the summer and south in the winter. Unless he can find seasonal jobs in both places.

We just retired to Oriental, NC after looking at everything from Annapolis to Charleston. Jobs may be a bit easier on the middle Chesapeake, like Solomons or Deltaville. Oriental is kind of clickish and probably pays less than jobs in those places.

But do consider San Diego. There is a new marina down near Chula Vista that has slips and costs about $500/mo for a liveaboard 36'er. You can easily make that up for the difference in wages vs the middle Chesapeake.

The San Diego climate can't be beat.

David

Old 18-03-2012, 12:03   #17

Boat: Looking for that next boat...

Quote:
There is a new marina down near Chula Vista that has slips and costs about $500/mo for a liveaboard 36'er.
If only that were true. Live aboard on a 36' will run you $880/month at Chula Vista and that is the absolute cheapest price for a live aboard slip you'll find anywhere on San Diego bay. I've been there and the marina is very nice and sailing in South bay is a lot of fun, but most of the marine related work will be found up near Shelter Island where a live aboard slip (if you can get one) will cost you well over $1,000 a month.

Old 18-03-2012, 13:46   #18

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Well as far as work is concernd We have boat and ship work out the wazoo down here in Louisiana, and the weather 7 months out of the year is perfect !! the other 5 months ya need AIR Conditioning !! boat docks are so cheap I hate to tell ya ! cost of living LOW LOW LOW!! sailing great ! Mexico is close !!wages for folks like yourself are darn good !and of course the food and parties are know world wide !! But if ya hate heat you might want to sail in the summer months, and work in the winter !(60+temp all winter used heat 1 week this yr LOL) Kinda nice down here, got a dock for up to 60 ft behind the house with an hour to the gulf !! just a thought
Old 18-03-2012, 15:30   #19

Boat: contessa 32

Hi Guys; First a few equations for East coast US:
Easy summer= brutal winter ; softer winter=torrid summer (OK its a generalization and there are fine days in each "off" season ,but they cannot be counted upon).

Next equation that seems to hold world wide: Inexpensive living areas=lower wages;
Expensive places= higher wages (salary),but we all know that.
Therefore,with a given marketable skill thing should work out pretty much the same money-wise wherever you land on the East coast.(or anywhere)
So now all you folks have to decide is where to drop anchor, and there a oodles of good places all along this coast, and as many do ,as already has been suggested: sail north if too hot and sail south if to cold, indeed some folks learn sailing to do just that.
What has not been suggested is to consider S. New England esp. below Cape cod including Eastern Long Island sound.
The book,Fifty Great Places to Sail Before You Die,claims this area is one of the chosen few and I agree. Legendary places,boater friendly, lotsa well paying jobs in the marine industry and you can squeeze in 3 seasons of sailing. Winter you work.
Don't need to work? The Bahamas are relatively nearby and are surely in the top ten.
I'll look for you on the water.
Old 18-03-2012, 15:38   #20

I like Fort Lauderdale winters then heading home to the Pacific NW for summers.
Old 18-03-2012, 16:39   #21

Boat: Westsail 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof_mariner View Post

The area we're in at present (South of Cape Hatteras) would be pretty close to ideal if you didn't need a job. Slip rent is cheap (as low as $100/month),

Would you be willing to share the specific location at which the $100 slips are located? I'm in Deale at the moment but am considering a move to NC

To the OP: Virginia get's up near 100 degrees and higher, with 90% humidity in midsummer. You will suffer greatly.

Eric
Old 18-03-2012, 16:46   #22

You can find slips in New Bern, Oriental, Morehead City, and Beaufort for around $100 and up. There's a yacht / sailing club that if you join your membership and slip fees total less than $100 a month. There are tons of slips available here. Probably the biggest challenge will be to find a slip with enough water at low tide if you have a deep keel. But even those aren't that hard to find.

I've been here just under 5 years and don't recall the temps ever getting much over 90, except on vary rare occasions. This winter was very mild, only dipped into the 30's a few times. Last winter, we got a total of 12 inches of snow. That was one of the worst winters anyone here can remember. If you don't need to work for income, this place is pretty close to ideal. And the fishing is fantastic.
Old 18-03-2012, 17:04   #23

If you're living on the boat that moderates your cost of living a lot, making southern New England pretty nice for six months of the year. Wages are good in the Massachusetts/Rhode Island area and there are lots of marinas, boatyards, boatbuilders, repair yards, etc. The sailing in Buzzards Bay and around Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket, and Cape Cod is the best on the East Coast in the summer. Maine is beautiful, but there isn't much wind once you get in off the ocean. There are a fair number of builders and boatyards, but pay is lower than further south. Winters are definitely cold anywhere north of North Carolina, and some friends sent me photos of a few years ago with a foot of snow on deck in New Bern. We saw snow in South Carolina when I lived down there on the coast. Summers are brutally hot, windless, and humid anywhere south of Block Island, IMHO. The Chesapeake is wonderful for boating, has lots of marine businesses that pay well, has cheaper dockage than further north, but is very hot and sticky in the summer, plus you've got serious thunderstorms and often tornadoes to deal with all the time. The best way to do it is either liveaboard six months in New England and then move ashore for the winter, or go north and south with the snowbirds, but that is tougher on the job front.
Old 18-03-2012, 17:15   #24

Here on the banks, we typically get thermals that kick in nearly every summer afternoon. So although it does get hot and humid, by noon or so the wind will typically pick up to 20+ mph which helps a lot.
Old 18-03-2012, 18:03   #25

Boat: Cal 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof_mariner View Post
You can find slips in New Bern, Oriental, Morehead City, and Beaufort for around $100 and up. There's a yacht / sailing club that if you join your membership and slip fees total less than $100 a month. There are tons of slips available here. Probably the biggest challenge will be to find a slip with enough water at low tide if you have a deep keel. But even those aren't that hard to find.

. If you don't need to work for income, this place is pretty close to ideal. And the fishing is fantastic.
Be advised that there may well be a $100 slip in Beaufort or Morehead City but there can't be many. I'm hauled out here and have been here far too long. I'd agree the SOL is lower than a bigger place but not that much.

The cheapest place I know of near Beaufort is $6/ft per month (pretty cheap!) but is maybe an hour up river. Town Docks is something like $300/mo in the winter (no snowbirds and/or travelers) but astronomical now. Town Creek has always been highest dollar, and is full of really nice boats that will become a ghost fleet soon. Very few leave the dock. The tiki bar, however has dollar draft beer. Discovery Diving Docks where I'm connected is $300 + for a 4' + deep slip. That's all there is in Beaufort.

I'm guessing Morehead is more. That cheap local sailing club is one I'm not aware of but would love the #. Very few real jobs here. You'd be better off in Wilmington. Much more to offer.

Edit: typically 20+?
Old 18-03-2012, 18:53   #26

Boat: Will be a 50' Cat

SFO is going to be your best bet for the weather you are looking for.... I can tell you Georgia is Hot as H... in the summer and D... cold in the winter (although this winter was not too bad... just a few days when it reached the teens)... As for Cheasapeake I would think it is a good place but I did a charter there a couple of years ago over the 4th... it was 105F.. broke records...

I like south Florida myself... yes it's hot but you really do get use to it and if you live on the coast you get an evening shower that cools things off... The Winters are beautiful...perfect really...

Cheers
Old 18-03-2012, 21:04   #27
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

bob & sharon-
You'll probably have some serious compromising to do. Every one of the eastern states is a very different place on the water. Taxes, often very different. Dockage...killer in sailing towns. Climate-wise, Georgia or the Carolinas probably would suite you best, bet then again...the sailing it very different from the Northeast, where you get deep water fast and lots of places to go to, without going up and down a ditch or shoals. And take a look at hurricane tracks, norther may be more peaceful.

Yes, winter can be a bitch and in recent years there have been some really mild winters, people tend to forget where ice used to be normal. But when you have seasons and winter, you really get to appreciate spring and summer coming, and fall!

If you can find a marina group that has locations up and down the coast, you might do well seasonally, i.e. work on Florida's beautiful west coast during high season (december to april?) and then flee up north to Cape Cod and points beyond before August. Because ever as far north as New York and LI Sound....August can be brutal. That's why the NYS capitol got moved from NYC up inland to Albany, to escape the summer heat and humidity. And the 2-knot breezes don't make for great sailing.

Annapolis? The Chesapeake? Could be a good compromise, but it won't be cheap.

Almost sounds like you'd want to take a run up and down the Atlantic Intracoastal in a small trawler, to really check it out up close and personal from end to end. (Or maybe borrow the cruising guides from a library, and read the longer version of what's where.)
Old 18-03-2012, 21:51   #28

Boat: Current wishlist: Boreal 44, Hylas 46, or Passport 470
We would move back to New Bern,NC in a heartbeat!
Old 18-03-2012, 22:45   #29

Boat: Westsail 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrambo316 View Post
We would move back to New Bern,NC in a heartbeat!
What did you like about New Bern?
Old 19-03-2012, 01:10   #30

Quote:
That cheap local sailing club is one I'm not aware of but would love the #
Blackbeard Sailing Club (need to know a member in order to apply and they have a waiting list).

If you're looking for work in the marine industry, wouldn't SFO be the first place to check? Isn't SFO hosting the America's Cup? Not sure how that might effect slip availability.

Tags
sailing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: