Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2011, 13:11   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Best East Coast Location

I want to keep a yacht on the east coast for a few years before I sail it across the pond. I can keep it anywhere from Key West to Newfondland. I am looking for
1.Safety
2. Inexpensive- relatively low taxes and moorings
3. DIY boatyard close by.
4. Access to both public transportation and ocean sailing.

Ideas??
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2011, 13:28   #2
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Re: Best East Coast Location

I stayed at sunset cay on folly Island just south of Charleston Harbor a couple of summers. Surprisingly cheap. I was paying $250 a month and living aboard. Slip fees vary as there are a variety of owners. Meets all your criteria. If your interested pm me and Ill give you the dockmasters name and phone number. Public transportation doesnt run to folly but does to Johns Island across a bridge short bicycle away.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2011, 13:29   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
I want to keep a yacht on the east coast for a few years before I sail it across the pond. I can keep it anywhere from Key West to Newfondland. I am looking for
1.Safety

Ideas??
Oriental NC....Masonboro inlet(Wilmington NC)..Manteo or Wanches NC..Public transport ? you can motor from manteo or Wanches to the William Bonner bridge(Oregon Inlet) and out into the Atlantic and the Gulf stream is as close to the land as you are going to find anywhere along the whole east coast...and not to mention the history and wonder of the place called the Outer Banks of NC....
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2011, 14:25   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I know this is a minor consideration- but what would the taxes be for a documented sailboat? I understand Florida has a classic catagory which my Valiant fits, does NC or SC have that type of break? Just assume that I am going to keep it there for more than 90 days and will register it in the state.
Also- cost of yearly haulout. It is about 400 dollars total here, with me doing the bottom job.
Food costs?
Thanks for all your imput so far- this is a difficult question with many right answers- but an important one for many, like myself, who are passing through but want to stay awhile.
Old 23-12-2011, 14:34   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Best East Coast Location

I'll second Oriental, NC... or New Bern... and Beauforts nice as well...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2011, 14:56   #6

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
I am looking for
1.Safety
Ideas??
Hey Newt, here's a radical thought: consider Thunder Bay, on the inland sea of Lake Superior. We have a DIY club, which makes boat ownership pretty inexpensive. The city is small, but has it all. And we have some amazing sailing up here.

Lake Superior ain't an ocean, but it'll give you all the challenge you want. It's not hard to head over the horizon and say goodbye to the shore. And it's got the big seas and big winds to rival most any you'll find anywhere. Plus, up here on the north shore, we have very few people and even fewer boats. Anchorages are never busy. You get all this, PLUS the joys of sailing on fresh water. The only real downside is that the sailing season is short, and you've got to pull the boat each winter.

Seriously, if you're that flexible, consider Lake Superior.
Mike OReilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2011, 15:18   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
I know this is a minor consideration- but what would the taxes be for a documented sailboat? I understand Florida has a classic catagory which my Valiant fits, does NC or SC have that type of break? Just assume that I am going to keep it there for more than 90 days and will register it in the state.
Also- cost of yearly haulout. It is about 400 dollars total here, with me doing the bottom job.
Food costs?
Thanks for all your imput so far- this is a difficult question with many right answers- but an important one for many, like myself, who are passing through but want to stay awhile.
My Douglas is documented and I have never payed or been asked to pay any kind of special tax...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2011, 15:28   #8

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

South Carolina and Virginia have personal property taxes if the boat is in the state for a period of time. The time depends on what county the boat is in, as to how long. Both states are pretty aggressive in collecting those taxes. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2011, 15:53   #9

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Delta Blues

Why stay in one place for so long? There are so many nice places to keep a boat on the East Coast. If you can, hang out in New England in the summer, the Chesapeake area in the spring and fall and Florida in the winter. By moving around, you can also avoid paying taxes. Monthly rates in many marinas are not much more than annual slip fees.

https://sailingdeltablues.com/
dennisjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2011, 17:51   #10

Boat: 1985 Nonsuch 30 Ultra

not in any particular order:

1.deltaville boatyard on the chesapeake;
2. Bock marine near Beaufort NC;
3. Fort Pearce (Pierce?) Fl.

the advantage to all three is that they are pretty much sheltered from the worst of winter's ravages and they are reasonably economical. Are you going to be on the hard or in the water? All three offer on the hard storage and somewhat in the water.
JimJohnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2011, 18:16   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Florida, no state or property taxes on the boat. No state income tax if you maintain some sort of residency actual or virtual.

If you have owned the boat for more that six months, the boat was in another state and you were not a resident of Florida you will not be liable for sales or use tax in Florida.

You will have to do the state registration annually, even if the boat is USCG documented, but that is only a couple of hundred per year.

Several areas are relatively inexpensive for keeping a boat. Also, Boat US insurance does not charge me the Florida summer hurricane surcharge if I keep the boat in Jacksonville.

Skip
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2011, 18:22   #12

We based ourselves in Northern Florida for 10 years and were very happy. Try Green Cove Springs. Help can be found from the Yachter's remail service "St. Brenden's Isle". Many folks in this area are true southern. If you can clear a 45 foot bridge, a day up the river at 12R is Gibson Dry Dock. This is my favorite spot for boat maintainence. Both places are on the St. Johns River, so not alot of salt. Prior to finding this area we were in New Bern, NC and Oriental. Both very good but colder than Fl in the winter.
jewel114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2011, 18:26   #13

Boat: Hans Christian 33

Boot Key in Marathon.

Relatively inexpensive and you get to live in the Keys!
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2011, 18:32   #14

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

Ditto on Jims post.

Oriental is nice but the airport connections are hard and the area is prone to Hurricanes

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2011, 18:37   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thank you for the replies so far- As far as basing in Ontario- I keep the boat in Bellingham right now and it is too cold for me in the winter. You guys must be hard core! Jacksonville sounds nice as well as NC. How far up the rivers would you guys go to get out of the Salt? Would Savannah do it?
I have been thinking about this for a while- I would probably be willing to pay a bit more for warmer weather during the winter- as that is the time I have off the most.
As for keeping the boat moving: I am still half time employed in Utah, so I have to keep it safe someplace while I am not cruising. I could keep it running up and down the coast, but I would like a home base until I am ready to go to Europe. (full retirement).
My Stick goes up 52 feet, but I bet I can lean her over to get by that 45 foot bridge.
Any ideas of the cost of a boat in NC as opposed to North Florida? Oh- and Boot Key is already high on my list- probably where I will spend some time, but leaving the boat to a hurricane...after all the work that has gone into her...Ouch.

Tags
east coast