Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2007, 19:19   #16

Boat: Macgregor 25 FIBERGLASS VENGEANCE
I dunno man. I think children are a menace and should be wiped out. I usually will just start spraying pepperspray at anyone who comes withing a hundred yards of me just on principle though, but if I see a kid around trying to sell me a banana or something I usually brain 'em with a lead pipe. That'll learn 'em, those fruit selling fruit sellers.
livingstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2007, 20:20   #17

Two words, Livingstone, NUCLEAR WEAPONS. Lead pipe's cool though.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2007, 00:11   #18

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Heck Yeah, I hate kids I think they are smug, especially ones that aren't American...sooo needy, God! Can't we build them a shoe factory or something.

Not good stuff.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2007, 11:01   #19

finally, some people who get what i'm sayin!
danedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2007, 22:22   #20

Oh really and I thought they were taking the piss.
chris_gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2007, 07:59   #21

Boat: Looking for a new boat
I think the piss is flying
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2007, 08:18   #22
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
I think that it is time to either get back on topic or try another thread.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2007, 19:34   #23

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
I think this is a great discussion. Kuapa'a (John) knows too well how some folks come from "America" with an extremely hostile, demeaning and haughty attitude. I have not walked in his shoes but can almost imagine. Although Hawaii is the 50th State and has been since June of '59 I don't consider myself in America. The reason is that we live on islands more than 2000 miles from the continent and attitudes and cultures are very different here. I'm proud to have adopted Hawaii as my home and I like the friendliness and aloha spirit here. I'm not Hawaiian but am a Hawaii State resident. Hawaiians are US citizens but not really Americans as you might think of the general run of the mill American.
Tourists who come here are about 90 percent pretty good but there are those who are truly "ugly Americans" that make a really bad name for all folks coming from the mainland. When visiting other countries and territorial islands it would be wise to learn a bit about their culture and especially their economic situation before judging their means of making a living.
Americans truly are wealthy. Nowhere else would a husband sit in a car in the parking lot with the engine of their SUV running to keep the A/C on while their wife shops in Macy's (ex-Liberty House). I've seen teenagers throw change on the ground in parking lots because they didn't want to overload their pockets. People drink bottled water when tap water is even better tasting and safer in my point of view. The American wealth is incredible.
Cultural awareness can't hurt.
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 16:35   #24

This thread should be merged into the firearms thread. Same principal - "If they ain't like us, kill 'em"
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 18:42   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
This thread should be merged into the firearms thread. Same principal - "If they ain't like us, kill 'em"
I hate to agree with you but I'm inclined to do so. It is easy to be critical when in fact the whole point of cruising is about as 180 degrees from this attitude. If you expect to cruise to other places you can't believe in only one thing or you are sure to be disappointed if not disgusted and never know how totally wrong you are. Then world can't be measured by how different they are from you.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 21:30   #26
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I fail to see the problem, you folks are simply way too pessimistic and you won't gain any karma points by failing to help the young man out.

Obviously the kid didn't come to steal, he came to apply for an apprenticeship as boat crew. We had the same thing in the colonial US, kids were sold into apprenticeship, given a palce to sleep in the barn while they learned the craft, and set free after learning the trade. In some years, without much if any pay.

Such a waste to turn the kid over to the police and make someone pay all those incarceration fees and such, when you can just shackle 'im in the lazarette and bring him up in the finest of traditions as an apprentice/dragoon at sea.

Stop in China, sell his spare kidney, invest half for his food costs and the other half for his college fund, and you've given the kid a real future.

A win-win situation for everyone, isn't that?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 08:11   #27

Bill... that story about your experience in Grenada is just great to hear.

Thanks.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 18:29   #28

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
My best experience with the Boat Boys was simple. First come First serve. In the right area, tell them you want a couple of Lobsters or fish or whatever. Let them know how big you want it (them) and how much. Go low on the price, negotiate with them and you wil always have fresh food. Also tell them the time you want them so they are not knoching on your hull a 6am. Always worked for us...
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2007, 08:25   #29
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
I've spent a couple of years cruising the Lesser Antilles, and have never had any problems with boat vendors. I think the major reason for that is "respect". I always take the time to greet them and chat a bit; maybe compliment their boat or whatever. If I don't want or need anything they're offering, I just say so, and say "maybe next time". Most often I get a "no problem, mon" in return, but never anger or arguments.

Some of them can be quite intimidating looking with dreadlocks, etc., especially on St. Lucia, but I've usually found those guys to be the friendliest and most gentle, after they realize you're willing to accept them on their own terms. As others have said, they're just trying to make a living in a tough situation.
Old 26-09-2007, 06:34   #30

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
Boat Boys

I know this is an old thread but hope you will find my story as amusing as I did dispite the cost.

Boat boys are also present on land and often referred to as urchins. I stopped in Honduras and rented a jeep for a few days. Stopping for a long dinner I paid an urchin 50 cents US to watch my jeep as I have done before. Beig homeless these youth will sleep in the vehicle.

To my surprise the top and frame were gone when I came out a few hours later. I was mad but when I woke the lad up he was furious. His street integrity was threatened. If I had the time I think he would have gotten my top back. Lesson learned... Leave the top at the rental place!

Will Heyer

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote