Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2008, 09:44   #1

Best books for East Coast and ICW

Hi, myself and partner Cathy are looking to buy a cruising yacht on the east coast in June/July 2009 and then intend to travel down the coast and into the caribbean for January 2010. As can be seen from the time table we are in no rush and want to get full enjoyment out of the 6 months spent travelling down to the South.

My question is what pilot book would you recommend. I have got a copy of the ICW facilities guide, it's ok but really more of a marina guide. In the Greek Islands I have used Rod Heikels guide and find it's lay out very easy to use. Particularly interested in free mooring/anchoring, but also a guide which gives you a flavour of the place.

Would prefer to have fewer comprehensive guides, preferably one or two, if possible, than have large number of books on board.

Many thanks Neil and Cathy
JORDANBASSET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:14   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
You will need more than one or two guides. There is no comprehensive guide for this very large area with many different cruising grounds. For the waterway (ICW) there's the waterway guides, used to be three volumes might be less today.
Waterway Guide
Skipper Bob's book on ICW anchorages is quite helpful.

For the Chesapeake there's two or three different guides. From North Carolina southward Claiborn Young's guides are quite good. Cruisers' Net - Home

There are at least eight guides for the Bahamas (Pavlidis' guides are the best here).
Nautical Books, Nautical Software, Sailing Guides & More at Seaworthy Nautical Store

and many more for the Caribbean, Doyle and now Pavlidis plus many others. Again try
Nautical Books, Nautical Software, Sailing Guides & More at Seaworthy Nautical Store

It must be a little bit disconcerting to see all the different guides. They make good reading but you can get to Florida with just an ICW strip chart and Skipper Bob's anchoring book. I'd start with this and get the others on your trip if you feel it necessary.

Enjoy your cruising.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:19   #3

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Moeller"s Guide to the ICW from Norfolk to Miami, All of Skipper Bob's guides, Van Sant's Passages South and appropriate charts for all of those areas. You will need all of these.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 10:23   #4

Thanks Vasco, appreciate the info and help, am just interested in the east coast at the moment, worry about the Caribbean nearer the time, may pick some books up for this area while in the ICW as you suggest

Same to yourself Chuck, much appreciated - Neil
JORDANBASSET is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
east coast, icw