Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2011, 09:16   #1

Best Bareboat Sailing Route Around Martinique ?

Hi,

We will be chartering a bareboat sailing vessel (cat or mono) around the Martinique or St. Lucia or thereabouts (just deciding on where to start) In May next year.

What would be a good destination? We are thinking a one-way would be best, opinions? Possibly Martinique to Virgin Islands? Or the other way to Grenada?
I am thinking the prevailing winds would be OK either way.

Our group will be from Germany (Skipper), USA and Canada.

Anyone have experience with chartering around here? (charter company recommendations?)

Thanks,
Larry
LarryNH914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 09:29   #2

Re: Best Bareboat sailing route around Martinique?

id go toward grenada, spend some time in the tobago cays for sure. the virgins are ok, but loaded with boats etc. not sure martinique is my favorite spot, but i didnt spend that much time there. be prepared for winds to 35 in the gaps between the islands and light air in the lee. it'll be great where ever you go! it'll be easier and you'll see more with a one way.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 10:50   #3

Re: Best Bareboat Sailing Route Around Martinique ?

Thanks, Our Skipper will like the winds, he was bored in Greece, he prefers more of a challenge like the North Sea... He got very happy one day when dinner was being prepared and a nice wind came up. He remarked: "I love that noise".

My only preference is to visit Dominica, and my Gal would prefer anywhere there is a hot spring Hey, that's Dominica too!!

Tobago Cay sounds great too.

Now, where to book a charter in the general area?
LarryNH914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 07:49   #4

Boat: Fastback 43

I chartered from Dream Yacht Charters in Martinique this summer. They were very helpful. We stayed around Martinique, so I can't help you with your plans for a destination or path, but I recommend snorkelling in Anse Noire (SW of Fort de France).

Ron
bix85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 09:22   #5

Location: Cruising the Caribbean, Rio Dulce, Guatemala during Hurricane season 2012
Boat: FP Orana 44

If you decide to go toward Grenada, you could also consider chartering from St. Vincent, there are hot springs and advanced hiking tours as well. Dominica is best for hiking, the anchorages are uncomfortable. We have been sailing since December 2010 between BVI and Grenada, most places are wonderful and worth staying for longer, depends what your preferences are. Martinique is just like being in France good to get your provisions. BVI´s is relaxed sailing, perfect anchorages and parties. I liked Antigua with it´s 365 beaches and Mustique, St. Barth´s best. Charter companies are so plentiful and competition keeps the standards up.

Enjoy your trip
Eveline
Aluna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bareboat, Martinique, sailing, martinique