Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2004, 17:43   #1

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)
Bermuda's Rules

According to the excellent data provided at:

www.onpassage.com

Bermuda has a "no dumping" rule; i.e. holding tanks are a must. I am hoping to head there in a matter of a few months, and am having trouble rigging a tank to my satisfaction, and even having trouble getting that chore on the must-do list in the first place.

Can anybody who has been there tell me how tough they are with small boats regarding that particular rule?
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2004, 20:10   #2

Noonsite.com contains this passage...

"All yachts should be fitted with either holding tanks to contain sewage for discharge in waters outside the outer reef edge or have U.S. Coast Guard-approved marine sanitation devices aboard. However, wherever possible, onshore sanitation facilities should be utilized. The discharge overboard of sewage, or any other pollutant within the 12 mile Bermuda Territorial Limit, is an offence, and offenders will be prosecuted."

Consider a camping style chemical toilet for your time in Bermuda. Or, you could possibly install one of the new composting toilets.
exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2004, 05:13   #3

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Porta Potty

Thanks, Exposure. I am certainly considering a camping-style toilet. The plumbing is easy, and the extra weight is not significant. I have large volumes for storage forward, and could stow an empty porta-pottie there.

Still, I am curious as to whether the rules are for small cruisers or for the big boats. My understanding is that the island's on-land wastewater treatment isn't exactly "state-of-the-art", making me think they might only focus on the big boats.
Old 24-07-2004, 02:59   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
As in the US a boat is a boat.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2004, 04:38   #5

Okay, okay

The tank is installed. Only 13 gallons, however. I was lucky enough to get it above the exit fitting, so that I can handpump from the toilet into it, and empty it through the normal fitting, or have it vacuumed out.

I do not have a holding tank for greywater, however. I could run the sinks to pails in a pinch, I guess.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:47   #6

So, Pump-Outs?

I am back. There were no pump-outs in Bermuda, nor anywhere else that I saw, between there and Trinidad. True, in many places it would have been reasonable to lift anchor and go to deep water to empty the holding tank, but often it was not. Inside Bermuda's St. Georges Harbour, for example was not a place where one would sail out into the North Atlantic each time the holding tank was full.

Still, there were locations where the holding tank certainly should be used. An excellent example is Marigot Bay in St. Lucia. I doubt that many of those who frequent the Bay have them, however.

Tags
Bermuda