Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2006, 20:16   #1

Bermuda Sailing During Late Fall

I am planning on sailing my 43' Bruce Roberts to Bermuda next fall, most likely during late October or early November. I'm aware that the majority of boats that sail to Bermuda from the east coast cross during the summer months, but I would ideally like to anchor our boat over the winter in Bermuda then be back on the east coast for summer.

I'm prepared for strong winds and some patches of storm remnants, but how bad of weather should I really expect? Would this be a wise choice sailing during this time??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
silver1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 01:24   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Check the Pilot Charts for your proposed months:
http://www.nga.mil/portal/site/marit...ID=detail_view

Crew plucked to safety after 24-hour ordeal ~ By Matthew Taylor
http://www.theroyalgazette.com/apps/.../NEWS/11110015
Crew aboard three stricken yachts bound for Bermuda were picked up in separate rescue missions (November 9/06) as 30-foot waves battered the vulnerable craft.

The “Magique” was only one of several boats experiencing difficulties in the area.
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1735870/posts

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 08:36   #3

Best check the forecasts and pilot charts. I have done the NE to Bermuda trip many times and have had all sorts of weather from dead calm for days and days to full in gales in the stream. Try to log on with Herb at SouthboundII and use his advice.. he's pretty damn good for this run. There are usually a whole slew of yachts heading down from NE stopping at Bermuda on the way to the Caribbean.

The fall run in late fall usually has strong winds from the north west or north east as I recall. Last year it was pretty brutal and lots of boats sustained damage.

You may be able to find a mooring in St Georges, but the Bermudians don't cotton to people hanging around their island. Best check out their regs on leaving a yacht for 6 months.

Jef
sv Shiva
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 11:31   #4

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)
5-Day Forecast

Don't leave until Herb Hilgenberg says you should, gives you a 5-day forecast, and then check in with him each day for a new waypoint. If your boat stays in good working order, Herb will get you there.

See his website: "Southbound II", for details and frequencies.

Not the only way, but that is my advice.
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bermuda