Hi, we're hoping to sail to Bermuda
and back from New York
this June/July. Given hurricane
season, does anyone think this is not sound?
We have a Valiant 40. We'd be leaving about June 20, budgeting say a 6 day passage
. Staying in Bermuda
a week or 10 days, then heading back. With delays at sea or on land, I could foresee the return trip as late as July 7 to 15.
That would put us firmly in official hurricane
season, even if they appear to be rare up there until quite a bit later. The Newport-Bermuda race
leaves on June 15, so they must think it's a safe enough time. Does a week or so make much difference? We'd be leaving and returning a good week after the race
Ultimately the main question must be whether the seven-day forecasts tracking storms to the south are reliable enough?
Related question for those who have done this passage
, what are the sites you recommend for studying the gulf stream
thanks very much in advance. Not that the boat is anywhere near being ready to launch, but it's fun at least to start thinking of things other than maintenance!