Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2007, 06:40   #1

Bermuda Anyone ?

I had hope to see something anywhere here about Bermuda, have I missed something?

When asked about our first big (short) destination, that came to mind. I visted too many years ago and longed to go back, I loved cycling the island and finding the many tidal pools and hidden beaches. Has it changed much? It always felt so safe and is too expensive to visit otherwise!

How would one get from St Augustine to Bermuda and when? How long would it take? Is there a reason no one goes?

Thanks,
Janny
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2007, 12:40   #2
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Janny,

Tons of people still sail to Bermuda each year from the northeastern U.S. It is, however, rarely the sole destination as the prices are indeed sky high. Typically it is used as a waypoint for those crossing the Atlantic west to east, or taking the offhore route from the eastern seaboard to the Caribbean.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2007, 14:07   #3

Boat: C&C, Crusader 40 Yellow Bird
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janny View Post
I had hope to see something anywhere here about Bermuda, have I missed something?

When asked about our first big (short) destination, that came to mind. I visted too many years ago and longed to go back, I loved cycling the island and finding the many tidal pools and hidden beaches. Has it changed much? It always felt so safe and is too expensive to visit otherwise!

How would one get from St Augustine to Bermuda and when? How long would it take? Is there a reason no one goes?

Thanks,
Janny
Janny,
Check with Steve Black, he holds a "Rally" to Bermuda in June called the "Bermuda Cup Rally". Search for it by name on the web, his website has a fair amount of Information on Bermuda and perhaps you'll find something of interest there.
Old 19-12-2007, 03:51   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Hi, Janny.

A lot of east coast sailors choose Bermuda as the destination for their first offshore passage. Steve Black's Bermuda Cup Rally is indeed a good way to go. Lynne and I did it as the first-time offshore venture for our new Island Packet 380 in 2003. It departs from Hampton, Virginia, though. We went in mid-June, returning on July 4th. It took us 4-1/2 days, each way.

I can't help you with first hand info regarding a St Augutine-Bermuda route, but here are a couple of websites that might have some useful info:

The World Cruising Club Welcome to World Cruising Club ARC Europe rally starts in St. Augustine in late May, I believe, and also from Antigua in the West Indies. It's first leg is to Bermuda.

There's an established race from Charleston, SC. They do it in late May.
Charleston to Bermuda Race 2007 | Home

Hope this helps.
Old 26-12-2007, 22:19   #5

Thanks again guys, you're simply super!

After reading parts of the blog regarding her 1st sail there I am indeed having serious thoughts about this whole thing Mata'irea.com ... a boy, a girl, and a boat These are young people worn out! Mata'irea: February 2007 their trip to Bermuda was in November --now I'm getting very cold, in fact...freezing feet.
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bermuda