Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2014, 06:52   #1

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Belize, Environmental Atrocity Planned for Lighthouse Atoll

If you dont already know about it, then do a search on "Puerto Azul Belize". This is a monostorus developmemt project proposed on Lighthouse atoll.

*"GREEN BUILDING - Zero impact architecture" is one of their many laughable catch phrases. Obviously building anything has an impact, and their proposed impact is like bombing the atoll. In order to even start this project the very first thing they must do is to utterly annihilate one of the few mangrove estuaries, and surrounding habitat, on Lighthouse atoll. This alone is an environmental atrocity, but* wait there is more! Even more ostentatiously absurd, and environmentally criminal, is their proposal to build an air strip on top of one of the most pristine reefs in the world.

If they do implement this environmental holocaust then that is just the beginning. Imaging the waste and impact created by their proposed 1,000 high end guests, 2,000 staff, golf course, and other services.

"Zero Impact"? Really? Actions speak much louder than words and Puerto Azul's proposed actions are obscene.

A more realistic catch phrase for Puerto Azul is "Using the illusion of a star studded dream to mask the reality of an environmental nightmare"

The atolls are the environmental crown jewels of Belize and I am deeply sadden that the Government of Belize would even* consider such an obscene project. Not surprised, because certain Ministers will no doubt profit substantially from this, just sad. I encourage all of you to do whatever you can to fight against this potential environmental disaster.

Please distribute this message to anyone you know who cares about the environment of Belize and do anything you can to help protect this spectacular cruising ground.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 07:02   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Belize, Environmental Atrocity Planned for Lighthouse Atoll

These always amaze me.....where does the fresh water come from? Where does the sewage go? Electricity from diesel generators? Staff? shipping for supplies?
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 07:11   #3
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

We've been watching the government and people of the TCI doing the same thing. They'll sell the islands out from under themselves to a developer, with no thought of their future other than what they're going to buy with that money.

The equivalent of pimping your own daughter.
Old 23-11-2014, 07:36   #4

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

If you're trying to locate this on a chart or map, search for lighthouse reef (not atoll)
SailFastTri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 07:38   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Ignore the environment.
It'll go away.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 08:21   #6

Boat: Seafarer36c

There needs to be a Belizean Monkey Wrench Gang.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 08:26   #7
One of Those

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
There needs to be a Belizean Monkey Wrench Gang.
If you can get them together, I can think of several projects in the TCI where they could fine tune their unique plastique techniques.
Old 23-11-2014, 08:41   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
We've been watching the government and people of the TCI doing the same thing. They'll sell the islands out from under themselves to a developer, with no thought of their future other than what they're going to buy with that money.

The equivalent of pimping your own daughter.
Here in Belize, and many other places, the people don't typically get jack out of such develoments, maybe a pitance for their land, but these projects get approved by Ministers on the payola-roll, who legally can't be prosecuted.

Similar things have happened on a smaller scale in Placencia and other places. Like Chabli Mar dredging acres of mangroves to create a new marina. And on Sittee River, and in Sapodilla Lagoon...

Its tragic to watch the unique enviroment here being slowly destroyed by greed and corruption.
Old 23-11-2014, 09:18   #9
One of Those

One very typical scenario here has been the Crown Land swap. This is a British Overseas Territory, and the TCI equivalent of Federal Land is owned by The Crown, England. The Queen appoints a Govenor, who is the UKs guy in charge here. But there are Ministers who run the TCI, etc.
Citizens ( called "Belongers") can apply for permission to purchase land from the Crown. At incredibly good prices, and at incredibly low interest rates. Last time I was looking at it, they had something like two years to either buy the land outright, or start making payments. With some kind of generous purchase option going forward, I think. And I believe the intent of the law is to facilitate all assistance to native born people who want to own land and build a home or business. The people who rightly call these islands home have had a pretty rough time of it through most of their history. So the financial assistance is substantial. An acre of Crown Land on beautiful oceanfront could be purchased by a Belonger for something under $100K. Fair market value for that acre would be up in the 800K and up range. He could buy four adjacent acres with several hundred feet of beach. Access and power. Affordable mortgage.

So developers from overseas come in, with pockets of cash and they pick a likely spot for a hotel on the equivalent of a National Park, and start making inquiries. And somehow Crown Land in pristine locations gets applied for by Belongers and the purchase gets approved by the appropriate minister.....AND the Governor. Of course these Belongers tend to be Government employees, if my observations of ten years are accurate. And have some high powered Uncles. Also in Government. And I'm sure that their intention is to build a home, when they apply for the land.

And a month later said connected and very well dressed Belonger is in a new Escadrille SUV with skinny spokes and high tires and a sound system that rattles adjoining islands, an eighty K vehicle here, on his thirty K government paycheck. And a developer from Eastern Europe or Turkey suddenly has purchased the property outright, and has a title guaranteed by the Crown, and needs only the permits to build. He only needs local ministerial approval for that, and well, you can figure out the rest.
Old 23-11-2014, 09:28   #10

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

So sad to hear. We so much enjoyed our time in Belize and glad we were able to experience these places before the developers move in. Unfortunately, there is much anyone can do, especially in Belize. Money talks and environmental issues are not even considered. There is really no form of protest or pressure that will change the situation. The worst part is when the money runs out and the damage is done, but the development never happens.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 09:34   #11
One of Those

I'm not even going to explore the engineering, bidding, contracting processes I've observed. I'll just say the whole system is different here.

Is Belize like here in that the local people love the development, for the most part? Means more infrastructure and more jobs. They can afford the stuff they see on their new TVs.
Old 23-11-2014, 10:39   #12

Historically, the relationship between Belizeans and those in power, whether the British or Belizean politicians has been very paternalistic..." Don't worry children, we will take care of that...". This has has changed a little, but not much.

When independence came, I think those who orchestrated that event wrote the new laws with corruption in mind. For example, the Priminister's Cabinet meetings are confidetial. They can decide and act as they chose behind closed doors with no public disclosure requirement. Ministers are legally sheltered from prosecution. They can act as they choose with little concern for the consequences.

Most Belizeans are actually concerned about their environment and opposed to projects like this, but realistically are largely politically powerless. The right money goes in the right Minister's pocket and the project happens anyway. Like Crusie Ships coming to Placencia, which the community almost universally opposes.
Old 23-11-2014, 13:56   #13

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

I just sent an email to to the developers......it won't make a difference but I feel better now that I've called them hypocritical asshats and signed my name.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 17:13   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I just sent an email to to the developers......it won't make a difference but I feel better now that I've called them hypocritical asshats and signed my name.
One email might not make a difference, but by taking some action you are headed in the right direction. Join one or more of the organizations that are fighting this project and add your voice to theirs.

One such org is Oceana. Article on their web site about Puerto Azul.

http://oceana.org/en/blog/2014/11/ce...e-hole-at-risk
Old 23-11-2014, 17:59   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

This is not a Belize or TCI problem, this is a world wide problem. Its based on greed and the fact that we, the people, have allowed politicians almost everywhere to be above the law and/or to be able to act in secrecy. If interested, watch the Frontline episodes of Secret America. Its the same thing almost everywhere. Sorry but this is just an observation/rant. I don't have a solution.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Belize, environment, men