Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2014, 09:50   #1
cruiser

Boat: 2007 Beneteau 393 Cyclades
Belize Chartering

We have extensive chartering experience in the Virgin Islands and sailed our own boat through the Bahamas and Caribbean but never made it to Belize. We are considering going to Belize this year to charter a catamaran.
Any favorite places? Favorite charter companies? Favorite charts/nav products for the area?

hogHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 11:51   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Belize Chartering

I used to live in Belize and worked in the charter industry there for many years (still cover a few charters). Over the years I put together a collection of notes meant to be supplental to Freya Raucher's excellent cruising guide. These notes should answer most of your questions and I'm happy to answer the rest.

Send me a PM with your email and I will send you a copy (can't attach PDF here via mobile app).

Re nav/charts. Freya's guide is hands down the best nav info for Belize...get a copy of it first thing. Navionics charts are pretty good. C-MAP is a bad joke. But be aware that most survey data in Belize is very old and so any electronic charts, all of which are based on that data, should be used cautiously. The best nav info in Belize is to have an older local fisherman aboard...I learn something new every time I go out with these guys.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 12:40   #3

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

best nav equipment in belize is a good pair of polarized sunglasses. chartplotter will get within a half mile or so of where you want to be. then its time to look at capt. freya's chartlets and waypoints. they were all spot on when i was there
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 13:37   #4
cruiser

Thank you belizesailor! I'll pm you with my email address.
Since you're very familiar with Belize sailing, what is your favorite spot? It seems like there's so much to choose from and I will probably only have about a week.

As for the navigation, we used Navionics throughout the Caribbean and Bahamas and use it here in Florida as well. That's great if you've found that Navionics is good in Belize as well. I love adding interesting spots to the maps to the maps along the way using the Community Edits feature.
Old 10-04-2014, 16:30   #5

Re favorite place. So many great spots in Belize its hard to choose, but generally I like the atolls, particularly Glovers (in good weather). My notes have some recommended routes/stops depending upon where you depart from. Charter companies are based in San Pedro (TMM), Belize City (Belize Sailing Vacations), and Placencia (Moorings/Sunsail).

Re Navionics. I've done a few test runs in Belize using Navionics on my Samsung tablet and found it to be pretty good.

Also have Navionics on PC running Fugawi. Same good charts, lot more software features...be nice when the tablet based software catches up.

I've added a few community edits on Navionics in Belize.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1397172720229.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	79116  
Old 11-04-2014, 06:17   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogHunter View Post
Thanks for the info!
What features do you use on your PC with Navionics/Fugawi that you don't have on the tablet? I've always just used the tablet...
Way too many to list. FUGAWI is very full featured. Most tablet apps are currently really basic. Just a few examples: FUGAWI can geo-reference scanned chart images, overlay GRIB data, supports AIS, overlay Google Earth images, and much more. Screen shot of FUGAWI display showing Atlantic approach to Panama Canal with AIS overlay active.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1397222177691.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	79146  
Old 11-04-2014, 06:36   #7

Re Navionics community edits. I try to add only local knowledge which is not as likely to be added by others. See for example: Sittee River bar, Tobacco Range anchorage, Orange Point anchorage, Punta Ycacos alternate route. Same user ID as here on CF.
Old 20-04-2014, 00:48   #8
cruiser

Thinking of chartering Honduras possibly because of cost of flights is much cheaper than to Belize. Any insights into Honduras?

Thanks!
Old 20-04-2014, 05:47   #9

Don't know of any bareboat charter operations in Honduras. Only know of a few one man shows that do local tourist charters (day sails).

Not sure why, I think Roatan would be a great charter venue. Sure do enjoy crusing there. Friends with businesses on Roatan tell me its a PITA but then again so is Belize.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:32   #10
Sailbeat | #1 Yacht Charter Portal

Send a message via Skype™ to SailBeat

Have a look here to find the best yachts available in Belize SAILBEAT - Yacht Listings
Old 12-11-2014, 20:06   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailBeat View Post
Have a look here to find the best yachts available in Belize SAILBEAT - Yacht Listings
Or you could just contact TMM Belize who manages these boats, book them directly, and deal with staff actually based in Belize who know these boats and the country.

Sent from aboard a charter boat, managed by a company actually based in Belize, anchored off St George's Caye.
Old 20-11-2014, 13:54   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
I used to live in Belize and worked in the charter industry there for many years (still cover a few charters). Over the years I put together a collection of notes meant to be supplental to Freya Raucher's excellent cruising guide. These notes should answer most of your questions and I'm happy to answer the rest.

Send me a PM with your email and I will send you a copy (can't attach PDF here via mobile app).

Re nav/charts. Freya's guide is hands down the best nav info for Belize...get a copy of it first thing. Navionics charts are pretty good. C-MAP is a bad joke. But be aware that most survey data in Belize is very old and so any electronic charts, all of which are based on that data, should be used cautiously. The best nav info in Belize is to have an older local fisherman aboard...I learn something new every time I go out with these guys.

Hello - I'm also researching a first visit to Belize would you mind if I pm you too?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Hemrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 17:36   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemrite View Post
Hello - I'm also researching a first visit to Belize would you mind if I pm you too?

Sure, PM me your email and I will send my notes.

I also encourage you to ask your questions here on the forum so all can benefit from, and contribute to, them.
Old 21-11-2014, 09:09   #14

Quote:
Sure, PM me your email and I will send my notes.

I also encourage you to ask your questions here on the forum so all can benefit from, and contribute to, them.

Many Thanks for the notes, hope to put them to practical use next year.

Hemrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2014, 09:43   #15

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
There is a rumor that the entrance to Cucumber Marina is shallow. What is it really?
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Belize, charter