Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2010, 22:04   #1

Boat: Pearson 281
Belize

Any recent cruising news from wonderful Belize? Just heard some govt. corruption bogeyman story from some guy who says he nearly lost his boat down there in '09... not buyin it

Thanks
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 05:21   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Perhaps you’ll find some of these earlier CF discussions helpful:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ing-16541.html
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ize-45781.html
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...nts-43431.html
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ees-41968.html

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 14:51   #3

pirate Increase crime in Belize (per San Pedro Daily)

I would like to continue.... actually start a dialogue on the increase in murders and armed thefts in Belize.

The San Pedro Daily states "Crime and violence has reached civil war proportions in our country, with an average of one murder every three days to September 2010. Since the year 2000, the murder rate has more than doubled. On average over the most recent five year span (’06 – Sept ’10), Belize lost ninety-seven (97) people every year to murder or eight people per month. In addition, there appears to be an increasing tolerance for criminal activity and criminals within the wider society. As well, the rule of law is at risk of collapse, since the unacceptably high and escalating murder rates coupled with the unacceptably low conviction rates have conspired to result in widespread disrespect for the rule of law, the devaluation of human life, and the perception that some persons are above the law."

We have a charter arranged for the the month of December 2010 with Moorings/Sunsail and might be rearranging our plans due to this latest info.
Would like to hear from those who live or have RECENTLY spent time in Belize. I realize there is an increase in crime everywhere but I am not familar with Belize as this is my first time and I am responsible for 5 other people in addition to myself.
NWCouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 13:06   #4

Is last March (2010) recent enough? Sailed a Moorings Cat out of Placencia. Their new base is north of the airfield and across from LaruBeya and Roberts Grove resorts. We stayed at LaruBeya a couple of days before and after the charter. We made arrangements with their chef to provide fresh baked bread and tortillas for the charter and they helped arrange for Gregory to stop by the Moorings base with fresh produce and meats. He's a truck farmer that brings in the fresh foods for the local restaurants.
Placencia is much smaller and lower keyed than San Pedro, where most of the tourists go. The sailing and destinations in the southern half of the country are much more scenic with wonderful snorkling, swimming and lay about beaches. Very underdeveloped, with few resources on the reef isles. Water and ice are a premium.
We broke up our charter, going north for the first half, Tabacco, Carrie Bow South Water, and Queen Cayes. Then spent one night back at the Mooring Base to water and ice up, long showers and a cooks night off. Then went out and did Rendevous, Soppadillas, Laughing Bird Cayes.
The world recession has had it's impact with closed shops and restaurants in Placencia but never felt threatened or endangered. We took normal precautions and had a wonderful experience. In fact, my crew has decided to book another charter for March 2011 and go out on their own.
My next charter is Tahiti next summer, so we aren't going back to Belize this year. But it is high on my "do over" list.
I hope this helps, if you have further questions let me know.
firepilot46n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 13:52   #5

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
Belize just took a heavy hit from hurricaine Richard. Lots of damage. You might want to check on the boats.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 20:32   #6

That is reasurring, appreciate the reply. How does one get a hold of Gregory to place an order for fresh produce and meats? That sounds like the way to go.
Old 29-10-2010, 17:08   #7

Boat: Leopard 42 - JAMU
My wife and I sailed the entire coast of Belize in March/April of this year as part of our cruise from the Bay Islands of Honduras to Isla Mujeres, Mexico. We generally anchor out on the cayes along the reef, but did spend time in Placencia, Caye Caulker and Ambergris Caye. We're very familiar with the southern cayes, having had our Leopard 42 JAMU in charter in Placencia for five years. From South Water Caye northward was new territory for us. We did not stop in Belize City, it's just too dangerous and holds no particular attraction. There was one yacht robbery incident at Caye Caulker just after we sailed from there to Ambergris Caye. Sailing Belize is beautiful and exciting - excellent snorkeling, diving and fishing in a very lightly used cruising area, and one should be just fine with exercise of reasonable caution. Belize is not particularly 'tourist friendly'. Certainly there are pleasant people to be found, but there is also a general attitude of 'stick it to the tourist'. For a first time charter in Belize, I would recommend sticking to the itinerary recommended by The Moorings. You want to be within VHF range of the base. If you want to supplement your provisioning, there is Wallen's Market and the Chinese Grocery along the main road. I would urge all charterers to use the installed moorings wherever possible, to avoid damaging the reef. Anchoring in this area is a challenge due to the thin layer of sand over hard coral - you'll be more secure on a mooring. We generally found them to be in good condition, but of course one should dive on any mooring to make sure it isn't damaged. Have a great charter!
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 11:54   #8

Appreciate the reply JamuJoe. Regarding the yacht robbery at Caye Caulker...were the owners gone at the time of the robbery?
When anchored or moored at a designated "national park" caye....were you regularly, consistantly approached for the daily fee? Can you remember and list the "national park" cayes? I haven't been able to find a listing (yet) of them. I have marked the Marine parks but not the national park cayes.
Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Old 30-10-2010, 12:04   #9

Boat: Skookum 53'
My Wife and I spent a month on the Sittee river and had a rental car, and drove all through out Belize, and never once had any trouble, this included driving through Belize City, we found the place to be warm and welcoming, and we are looking at it to be our home away from home. This was in December/January, 2009. I also spent a month there in 1995 in Placencia and found it to be a wonderful place. We spotted several cruisers anchored up off the different cays and did not hear of any trouble with regards to their security. Like any place in the world sometimes bad things happen in good places. One needs to keep an eye open. I have felt less secure in New Orleans or Miami, than most places in other countries.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:43   #10

Boat: Leopard 42 - JAMU
NYC,
Yes the owners were ashore when that robbery occurred. I have heard of no armed robberies in Belize involving owners on board. Boat theft is usually a matter of convenience.

A list of the Marine Reserves can be found at https://www.belizeportal.com/content...l=0&link_id=16
We like the Sapodilla Marine Reserve - Lime, Hunting, Franks and Nicholas Cayes - which is within reach of Placencia for charterers. The ranger should come to you for the fee, which I believe was $15 per boat per stay. We've never been bothered there by fraudulent fee-takers. Queen Cayes Reserve was just the opposite, and we will not return there. The fee was $10 per person per day, and we were harassed by a un-uniformed bully who demanded the fees but would produce no identification. You should certainly get the latest information on Reserves as well as any safety and security issues from your charter briefing.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:19   #11

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCouple View Post
Appreciate the reply JamuJoe. Regarding the yacht robbery at Caye Caulker...were the owners gone at the time of the robbery?
When anchored or moored at a designated "national park" caye....were you regularly, consistantly approached for the daily fee? Can you remember and list the "national park" cayes? I haven't been able to find a listing (yet) of them. I have marked the Marine parks but not the national park cayes.
Any info would be greatly appreciated!
We have a map posted on our Sea Trek Site that shows the Marine Parks and National Parks, http://tinyurl.com/39darkz , Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Belize