Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2008, 18:23   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cruising
Boat: Passport 40
Posts: 60
Beaufort NC to Charleston in the next two weeks?

I'm sitting at a shrimping dock in Hobucken, NC, and we're contemplating our next week or two. The plan tomorrow is to go to Beaufort NC and anchor in Taylor Creek, or perhaps spend one night at a marina and then anchor. (Any thoughts on Taylor Creek? Everything I read says to drop two hooks).

More importantly though, I'm getting somewhat sick of doing 40-50 mile days, constantly watching my depth finder and staying inside channels, and this is after less than a week! I'm considering waiting in Beaufort for a week or two for an appropriate window to do a "direct" run down to Charleston with Masonboro Inlet or Cape Fear/Southport as potential duck in points. I'm showing about 220nm door to door, so 2 full days (48 hours) is what I would plan for.

I'm assuming that during the right time of the year this is fully doable. Of course, we're in winter now. What kind of winds, waves and weather should I be looking for? Is it even reasonable to expect an appropriate weather window to open up this time of year? I don't want to sit at Beaufort for 2 weeks, just to find that we never have a window and have to do the ICW anyway.



s/v/ Pelican
s/v Pelican - Following A Dream

Labatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2008, 18:35   #2
Registered User
jrd22's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: San Juan Islands, WA
Boat: 1988 Brewer Three Seas 40' Pilothouse
Posts: 252
Labatt- you are about 4 days behind my son, they are anchored south of Savannah tonight. I think they anchored in Taylor Creek a few days ago and if you PM me I can give you a cell # for him. They went out for a 24 sail from Cape Fear and fought headwinds and 4' chop all the way and needed 24 hrs to recuperate. At least the weather has warmed up some back there. Their boat is called Wind Bourne (36' Bayfield) and I think he gets on the SSB net at 0830EST (sorry, don't know the freq.).


John Davidson
S/V Laurie Anne
1988 40' Brewer Pilothouse
jrd22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2008, 18:47   #3
Marine Service Provider
AnchorageGuy's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Wherever the boat is!
Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Posts: 4,619
Chris, it certainly is doable but you really need to watch the weather. Wait for a mild front to pass and leave as soon as the seas lay down. The winds will be out of the north so you will have a downwind run. Stay close to the coast out of the big seas and any north flowing current. Not that we have a lot of faith in the NWS forecasts but with internet access you can follow the forecast weather for your passage at East Marine Text Forecasts by Zone and it looks like you would be sitting until Tuesday or Wednesday for decent weather. Now how far along would you be on the ICW as opposed to sitting where you are and waiting, and then it still might not come to pass for a few days after that.
Chesapeake Bay, ICW Hampton Roads To Key West, The Gulf Coast, The Bahamas

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2008, 18:39   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cruising
Boat: Passport 40
Posts: 60
We're going to stay in Beaufort through Christmas, and then look for a window immediately after. Anything with a north in the direction and seas 4ft or under for at least two days will make us happy, unless it's immediately followed by an unsettled air mass. If we can't find a window within 2-3 days, we're going to just head down the ICW.
Labatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2008, 19:00   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Virginia
Boat: Reuel Parker's Munroe Egret 31.5 Yawl
Posts: 50
You can also see a visually dramatic forecast (wind, pressure & waves) at:
PassageWeather - Wind, Wave and Weather Forecasts for Sailors and Adventurers

Navigate to the zone in question, then click "animate" to see a stunning rendition of the 7 day forecast.
Pathfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2008, 19:16   #6

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Tampa to New York
Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Posts: 1,594
If its any help little river could be another possible jump in point. I navigated the pass this summer and it was better marked than indicated on my charts. Theres a large casino boat that leaves the pass twice daily. 2 places to drop hook not too far inside, crossroads of calabash indicated in skipper bobs, or on north side of bird island ,where locals bunch up on weekends.

forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Free for 2 weeks... CharlesFCook Crew Archives 0 10-10-2008 11:35
Panama Canal Delay Down to Two Weeks ! MarkJ Atlantic & the Caribbean 8 30-05-2008 12:12
Three weeks inthe boatyard Roy M Multihull Sailboats 8 02-08-2007 07:59
Three weeks in the Windwards SanSailer Atlantic & the Caribbean 9 01-08-2007 14:01
1st few weeks of boat ownership mpk Multihull Sailboats 17 14-05-2004 09:23

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 17:55.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.