Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2011, 07:38   #1

Bareboat Sailing - December

I have sailed on a charter In BVI a number of times. I like the area as the distances are short and sailing is easy. We have basic sailing experience and do not like long passages. We would like to try a different area for sailing. Does anyone have advice on where to charter next Christmas either in Caribbean or elsewhere. Thanks.
Tom-the-sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 07:51   #2

Boat: Nothing large at the moment
Re: Bareboat sailing December

Abaco, Bahamas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 08:35   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Re: Bareboat Sailing - December

The weather's better in The Grenadines that time of year. Several charter companies at Blue Lagoon on St Vincent, and the Moorings on Canouan. Google it.
Old 31-08-2011, 09:29   #4

Boat: temporarily boatless...

The Abacos DO satisfy the short distance requirements, but it can get pretty chilly when the regular (weekly) cold fronts roll through...

Anywhere that is formally within the Caribbean basin will be warmer, but if you like short distance, easy sailing you're going to have a hard time finding a better location (with excellent weather in Dec/Jan) than the BVI...

imho. pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:04   #5

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

I've sailed the Abacos the last 6 winters and a few before that. It's a good choice if you want some quaint towns, fewer moorings, and even some unpopulated islands. I second what Pete said above: The winter weather can be a bit hit and miss and is sometimes nippy for swimming. Other times it's fine. While it can be windier, the sea of Abaco is also very protected.

I've chartered from St. Martin a few times. I actually prefer the geography of the BVIs more, but it offers a nice cultural difference.

Another option to consider it to charter out of the BVIs, but head to the Spanish Virgin Islands. Few charters go there.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 14:00   #6

Boat: Hunter 50 CC

Chrisrmas is just as sweet in the Spanish and US Virgin Islands. Depending on where you want to go and what you want to do when you get there the Spanish Virgin Islands can be awesome. Although I'll admit that we frequently sail throughout all three when we have the time.

Full disclosure: our boat is in charter in Fajardo Puerto Rico.

But it's not going to be available this Christmas ;-) They do have others though.
Lucky Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 14:32   #7

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

First off there is the US Virgins and Spanish Virgins which are very close and very easy to get to and from.
- - Then besides the Grenadines there is Grenada where The Moorings and Horizon Yacht Charters both have bases.
- - For the more adventurous there a half a dozen charter outfits operating out of Blue Lagoon, St Vincent on the north end of the Grenadines.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bareboat, sailing