Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2009, 16:07   #1

Bareboat FL Keys - First Time

Hi Everyone,

New user here! First Post.

I am planning on taking my first bareboat charter in July. My idea is to do it around the Florida keys, since I have heard its relatively easy for a novice bareboater. I am hoping for a 4-5 trip.

I have some sailing experience, mostly from the lake, and some sailing on the ocean but not far from shore. I am planning on going with a few friends, one of whom has a little experience as well. The plan is to have 4 people on a 30-35' boat.

I wanted to get some opinions from all of you as to whether the keys are a good destination for a first time bareboater, and what sort of things I need to do to prepare for such a trip. Also, any recommendations for charter companies in the area would be helpful.

If the Keys are not considered to be a beginner friendly desitnation, are there any other suggestions? Preferebly within USA territory.

Thanks!
tintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2009, 18:18   #2

Boat: Endeavour40 - MOBETAH
Although not in the USA ..... the Abacos in the Bahamas would be my first choice for a first charter (beautiful water, great sailing destinations within a few miles, resturants, bars ........damn, I want to go!) but would it require an airplane ride to get there. try: The Moorings (Abaco) - Yacht Charter Company Reviews - CharterExpert

Don't know where you are but the Apostile Islands in Wisconsin would be a good choice. nearby sailing destinations, resturants, bars, etc...... Although it is fresh, COLD water. try: Superior Charters :: Sail Lake Superior's Apostle Islands - Bayfield, WI

Good Luck & have fun wherever you go Bill A.
mobetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2009, 19:49   #3

The Keys is great for many things but as a sailing location for a first time bare boater, it's not that great IMO. Bahamas or Virgin Islands in the Carib are much better.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2009, 22:01   #4

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
I agree to make the jump to the Bahamas or BVIs. I prefer the Bahamas, but the BVIs are exceptionally easy sailing.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 04:40   #5

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
I stopped sailing the Fla Keys after they have instituted all sorts of restrictions and regulations with up to US$50,000 fines for violating some of them. And they do not accept an excuse for "I just didn't know". With all the environmental and reef and grass protection regulations and anchoring restrictions there is very little fun left as you are always worrying or terrified of making a mistake.
That is why the Bahamas are a much better choice for a novice as others have mentioned above. At the closest you are only 45 nm from Miami to the Bahamas. The northern area of the Abacos are especially good for new cruisers as there are lots of wonderful islands to swim, snorkel and explore. The southern Bahamas are further away and require a much longer period of time to get to them and back. But they are also unique and have fantastic island experiences available.
But be sure if you choose the Bahamas to get the chartbooks called "The Explorer Charts". These books are available in most large chandleries or nautical book stores. They contain up to date charts and local information that is a "must" to have before venturing out.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 04:48   #6
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
charlotte harbor in southwest florida has the clear water and sand beaches without the rock reefs. there are some nice islands and you can find blue water in the gulf. be sure to stop by cabbage key across from useppa island. also check out pelican bay at cayo costa.
gonesail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2009, 15:06   #7

Thanks for the replies everyone! It seems like the general consensus is to stay away from the FL keys as a novice destination.

I just spoke to a co-worker who said that Catalina Island on the west coast is a good cruising destination for beginners. Anyone has any suggestions about this? I checked it out in google maps and it looks very nice, and easy sailing as far as I can tell.

I know there is a section for the pacific coast on the forum, shall I post there about Catalina Island?

I am in Austin, TX so I am pretty much open to any destination because I have to fly no matter what. I was thinking the Keys because I used to live in ft. lauderdale.
Old 28-05-2009, 16:32   #8

I dont think Catalina would compare with the diversity of things to do in the Bahamas at all.....
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2009, 15:36   #9

Boat: temporarily boatless...
Let me start by saying I sail FL and specifically the upper/middle keys regularly, and despite the fact that any post about sailing the keys is immediately inundated with suggestions to go to the Bahamas instead, it's a great place to sail and we're lucky to have it.

Having said that, for a relative novice with no particular preference for location, there is no question in my mind that the BVI is the place to go. Sailing-oriented, lots of deep water everywhere, lots of moorings and anchorages, a great variety of destinations, consistent and predictable winds, and getting help in case of a problem is, well, no problem at all. In the Bahamas, you'll find lots of very shallow water and some very poorly marked waterways, so you really have to be careful at all times. It's also an excellent destination, but in your case I think the BVI are the way to go. pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2009, 16:03   #10

So.... how does one know where you can drop an anchor in the keys....? I'm thinking of going down there about the first of the year....
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2009, 16:25   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
So.... how does one know where you can drop an anchor in the keys....? I'm thinking of going down there about the first of the year....
If you're looking for a cruising guide, there are three that I know of, but none are as good, IMO as the guides for the Bahamas and Carib.

I guess I'd suggest this one by Young, since it is more substantial that the others.. far more pages:

Amazon.com: Cruising The Florida Keys: Claiborne S. Young, Morgan Stinemetz: Books
Old 29-05-2009, 17:39   #12

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete33458 View Post
despite the fact that any post about sailing the keys is immediately inundated with suggestions to go to the Bahamas instead, it's a great place to sail and we're lucky to have it.
Agreed... now, tell him where to find a good bareboat in the Keys. Thats the real problem.

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2009, 21:11   #13

Thanks for the advice, Pete.

I have been looking online for charter companies in the keys, and I have been been a hard time finding a lot of information. I have also read a lot of bad publicity for companies in the keys. Not sure if it is true or not, but it is what I have seen. If anyone has any suggestions with a positive experience I would love to hear them!

Thanks!
Old 29-05-2009, 22:34   #14

tintin, there is something about the Keys that attracts some really great people. Unfortunately there is also something about the Keys that attracts a few really bad people. I've had two very bad experiences there... one with a small charter outfit in Islamorada many years ago, and another with a marina, I won't say where, that ended up costing me thousands of $ in attorney fees and mucho time and aggravation.

The moral: don't do business with anyone in the Keys that you suspect is potentially a problem. Don't charter from anyone in the Keys unless you have solid recommendations.

I still love the Keys... it's like nowhere else in the USA, maybe in the world. Get yourself on a flight to Miami sometime (or better yet Key West), rent a car and head down to the Keys to explore. It's great fun.
Old 30-05-2009, 01:29   #15

Boat: temporarily boatless...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
Agreed... now, tell him where to find a good bareboat in the Keys. Thats the real problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin View Post
Thanks for the advice, Pete.

I have been looking online for charter companies in the keys, and I have been been a hard time finding a lot of information. I have also read a lot of bad publicity for companies in the keys. Not sure if it is true or not, but it is what I have seen. If anyone has any suggestions with a positive experience I would love to hear them!

Thanks!
Finding a bareboat charter IN the keys is probably not easy. However, Florida Yacht Charters in Miami Beach Marina (just inside Government Cut) has great boats for good rates. I know the people there quite well. From Miami, it is a day sail to Port Largo (Key Largo), and on from there. pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bareboat