Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 02-05-2014, 11:27   #1

Bareboat Chartering

Hey I just joined this forum to get a few questions answered so I'm hoping someone can help!

I'm a 20 year old college student and from the Chesapeake Bay area.

I've been sailing since I was eight years old and have crewed and raced mostly J105s since I was 11. I don't have a huge amount of cruising experience (only a few overnight trips around the Chesapeake) but I know my way around a boat, navigations, and how not to kill myself and everyone else on board when sailing.

I'm planning a trip to the BVIs with several friends from college (all around 20/21) to cruise for a week or two. One other guy in my party has some, though not extensive, experience sailing and cruising in Massachusetts, and the rest of the party is completely new to sailing. We were hoping that we could bareboat charter as it is cheaper and I think better than having a skipper just us around for a week.

I was wondering if my and my friends experience would be enough that we would be able to bareboat charter and how we would go about doing that.

Other info: 8-10 in the party, most likely a trip in late may/early june.

Thanks for all of your help!

Old 02-05-2014, 15:33   #2

Re: Bareboat Chartering

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegesailor View Post
Hey I just joined this forum to get a few questions answered so I'm hoping someone can help!

I'm a 20 year old college student and from the Chesapeake Bay area.

I've been sailing since I was eight years old and have crewed and raced mostly J105s since I was 11. I don't have a huge amount of cruising experience (only a few overnight trips around the Chesapeake) but I know my way around a boat, navigations, and how not to kill myself and everyone else on board when sailing.

I'm planning a trip to the BVIs with several friends from college (all around 20/21) to cruise for a week or two. One other guy in my party has some, though not extensive, experience sailing and cruising in Massachusetts, and the rest of the party is completely new to sailing. We were hoping that we could bareboat charter as it is cheaper and I think better than having a skipper just us around for a week.

I was wondering if my and my friends experience would be enough that we would be able to bareboat charter and how we would go about doing that.

Other info: 8-10 in the party, most likely a trip in late may/early june.

Thanks for all of your help!
We are one of the owners in the Sunsail fleet in Tortola.

I'd say that you are not going to have a lot of issues bare-boating there.

The "reputation" is, "as long as you have a Credit Card". I would say that is fairly close to true.

8-10, you are talking one of the larger catamarans (a breeze to sail and maneuver, as well as get off/on after an evening of partying), or one of the larger Mono's.

Have a blast!

Phil

Old 02-05-2014, 15:41   #3

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

There are over a dozen bareboat charter companies in the BVI. If you don't have luck right off the bat, have your friend and yourself both write up a sailing resume and see what sticks at each one. Worst case scenario, you might get stuck with two smaller monohulls and have to divide your group up, but you'll probably be able to get a boat big enough to fit everyone. Some charter companies may insist on a couple hour sea trial so maybe just ask about it up front?
Old 02-05-2014, 16:04   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

I agree with the above. Our first charter trip (we're now owners in Moorings) my largest boat experience was a 27' monohull and power boat. I was qualified on all their boats except their 47' cat. Had a friend who was coming with more experience so we ended up being co-captains on paper, but I still was the captain for the whole trip. Worked out great.

I'd say the biggest part is being confident that you know what your doing which it sounds like you are. Might want to start with Moorings and Sunsail and then go from there. Footloose would also be an option. Some of the other companies are a bit more critical of the resume, but may also let you charter.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:23   #5

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch

I agree with Maytrix. A group of your size and age will have a good chance of chartering there.
Old 30-05-2014, 13:25   #6

pirate Re: Bareboat Chartering

You shouldn't have many problems with the boating aspect, but with 8-10 20 yr olds, alcohol poisoning could be an issue. Most anchorages in BVI's have moorings, but since you don't have a lot experience anchoring, I would suggest getting some practice when you're there. Leave enough scope and check anchor with mask and snorkel.

I captained my first Bareboat at 26 with some bareboat crewing experience and on a 16' prindle. I brought 5 friends with almost no experience. We had a 41 Hunter through TMM and they did check me out for about an hour to make sure I was competent, then let us go.

Besides having engine trouble (alternator belt too big and fried) and having to anchor under sail in the dogs, it was fantastic. In fact, another belt fried on our last day so I had to sail into Road Town harbor with no engine and get towed into the dock. Not they way you want to end the trip, but no worries.

I started racing J105's right after that and have about 16 bareboat trips and 17 years of racing experience since then. Taking my wife and 2 boys to St. Martin in 4 weeks.

Go for it and you'll be hooked.
Old 30-05-2014, 14:14   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Make up a sailing resume extolling your experience. Your friend also.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2014, 14:57   #8

Boat: temporarily boatless...

I've never had to do it but I believe there is a check-out cruise with one of their instructors if there is any doubt, but I honestly think your experience should be enough. Submit a sailing resume at moorings.com

Create Resume - User Resume | The Moorings

and when you get a rating from them you can use that for the other charter companies as well.

I like the BVI. A lot of "serious sailors" deride it, and for sure there are a lot of, let's say, inexperienced sailors there, but it's beautiful, the water is clear and warm, there are moorings everywhere (I always sleep better on a mooring than at anchor, probably naively, but whatever works...), and there's always a destination where you can get a nice West Indian curry and a cold cocktail.

8-10 people? You're gonna need a bigger boat...

pete
Old 12-11-2014, 09:20   #9
Sailbeat | #1 Yacht Charter Portal

Send a message via Skype™ to SailBeat

You'll have no trouble chartering. Check out this site to see all the available options: SAILBEAT - Yacht Listings

Tags
bareboat, charter

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: