Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2013, 05:25   #1

Boat: Hanse 371
Bareboat charter in St Martin / Sint Maarten ?

Can anyone recommend an excellent bareboat charter service in St Martin / Sint Maarten ?
We are 4 couples from Belgium who want to charter a Lagoon 450
from 13/11/2013 for 2 weeks.
We have in the past worked with Sparkling Charter to explore the islands north and south of Martinique. ( good company )
Now we want to sail from St Martin to the BVI islands.
For us europeans it's easier ( and cheaper ) to get to St martin then to fly to the BVI.

Greetz,

Koen
scarab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 12:15   #2

Boat: PDQ 32 LRC
Re: Bareboat charter in St Martin / Sint Maarten ?

I have bareboat chartered three times out of St Martin using VPM/Bestsail. They have a small operation in Anse Marcel, one of the prettiest bays in St Martin. Their prices are generally much better than Moorings/Sunsail, but the boats may be a little older. Twice, I have had incredible deals chartering one way to Tortola. I like the lack of crowds and more personal service I get from them.

If you want to fly in and out of St Martin, and you want to go to the BVI, it will be a nice easy downhill run to Tortola (about 90 miles) but an uncomfortable beat dead into the wind coming back. This will also involve night sailing and you will need special permission from whatever charter company you choose.

For two weeks out of St Martin, I would rather cruise to St Barts, St Kitts, Nevis, Statia, Antigua. Throw in Saba if the seas are calm, otherwise, its rock and roll.
Jerry Woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 13:55   #3

I have used Sunsail St Martin 4 times, most recently Nov. 2012. Best charter base I have used in the Caribbean. Staff is very professional and accommodating. Consider sailing South to Statia, St. Kitts and Nevis. Wonderful islands.
Ofpssyc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bareboat, charter