Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2008, 07:14   #16

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
The cheapest way to call home I've found is to buy a pre-paid Batelco phone card once over there which will work at most public phones.

Very few folks get the Batelco cards anymore. It seems Batelco has stopped maintaining the public phones as they seem to be going to an all cell phone network. If you do manage to find a call box it'll most likely be out of service. Best way to call home is Skype. Wifi, especially in the Abacos, is readily available .
Old 25-08-2008, 07:28   #17
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Bill -- although you didn't ask, I'll mention it anyway: When you check in at the Bahamas you will need to get a cruising permit/fishing license (they're combined). $300 for a year -- and it must be in cash!

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 07:52   #18

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Bill,

The good news is that you only have to pay $150 as your boat is under 35 feet.
Old 25-08-2008, 10:59   #19

Boat: S/V Pooka Com-Pac 27
Great info folks, thanks. As far as calling home that's not an issue. Maybe just check e-mail once in awhile. I'm assuming you can pick a wifi spot here and there.

Good info on the cruising permit. Note to self, bring some extra cash.
Old 25-08-2008, 12:59   #20

OK, so considering the $300 cruising permit (what size boat is that for, by the way?) it would seem that one would want to try to maximize Bahamas cruising in a year. Does the $300 allow as many trips as one wants in a year or is that for a limited number of entries and exits?

Also would anyone care to estimate some budget figures for a couple for a month of cruising for food, water, fuel, dockage.... assuming say two dinners ashore per week and zero beginning provisions inventory to simplify the estimate, dockage once a week or so? Sort of a middle of the road level of spending?
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 13:11   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedoo View Post
OK, so considering the $300 cruising permit (what size boat is that for, by the way?) it would seem that one would want to try to maximize Bahamas cruising in a year. Does the $300 allow as many trips as one wants in a year or is that for a limited number of entries and exits?
My understanding is that the cruising permit, $300 for boats over 35', is good for the boat for one year. But, you can only clear in, clear out, and clear back in once, and only in the first 90 days.

Impossible to guess what your costs will be, partly because how heavily you provision originally in the states will determine to a large extent how long you can last on X dollars in the Bahamas. If you're only buying the occasional fresh veggies and fresh meat, you can go a pretty long time on little money. If you run out of beer and have to buy it over there, you're in for a wallet woopin!
Old 25-08-2008, 14:06   #22

Boat: Cal 34 & Pearson 424
For cost estimates...

Search the older threads; there have been past conversations regarding costs to provision, etc.
s/v Breakaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 14:17   #23

Sure, I'll search.

Just thought some might want to offer new thoughts in this thread.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 16:55   #24

Cost for a 27' Compac will be $150 not $300.
Lots of good advice above but I haven't seen mentioned the way we cross over so I'll add it.
Stage in West Palm Beach just south of the lake worth inlet.
Leave at night...around 9pm would be fine for a 27 footer. The inlet is wide and safe and well lit. Set your waypoint for the Memory Rock waypoint and you will arrive on the Bahama Banks in Daylight where you can push on to Great Sale Cay and arrive in mid afternoon and anchor. No worries about depths, and no need to check in and pay the dock rates at Old Bahama Bay or cope with the no-see-ums.
Next day...leave Great Sale and head to Spanish Cay or Green Turtle Cay for customs check in and you are IN the Abacos.
Good luck it is a WONDERFUL place!

camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas