Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2015, 13:21   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Bahamas Meltdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Actually, they have a thriving banking and financial services industry.

Though this industry is a lot smaller now than back in the 70's and 80's there is still some import/export of agricultural products from certain Latin American countries.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 13:57   #32

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

There are places in the U.S. I would fear for my well being much more than Freeport or Nassau. That said, they are just two towns on two islands among many in the Bahamas and easy enough to avoid, which is my preference. I sailed through the Bahamas bottom to top a couple years ago and didn't stop at either.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 14:33   #33

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
So I guess the problem with ISIS is a lack of Jobs and opportunity? I see a job at the US State Department in your future.

So if poverty and the evil of Income Inequality is the father of violence, rape and murder, why is it that so many villages of dirt poor people have lower crime rates than some wealthy “1st world” Cities? No, evil and bad people are the cause of crime and you find those in poor, middle class and rich communities in equal proportions around the world. We are not talking here about starving people stealing a loaf of bread to feed his children. We are talking rapes, murders, violent crimes.

We can't blame the evil/bad apples not just in the culture of the Islands but on the streets of Chicago, Wall street or Pennsylvania Ave. The smart educated position is to explain why the downtrodden have to resort to a life of crime. Na...it's not their fault or lack of morals...who's morals...who are you to judge right from wrong these days? You can't expect a poor man to have the same view of robbery/rape as a rich man....you bigot, you racist...you white privileged ass you...see where this not wanting to speak the truth to evil has gotten us. We can't even call a Thug a Thug anymore or you are a racist or risk offending the Thug!

There isn't a meltdown in the Bahamas, anymore than there is a meltdown in Ferguson, Baltimore, Chicago, and you pick the US or world big city where daddy Government is raising generations of people who's very livelihoods and existence is from a government handout rather from themselves. You can't judge and call out this failure. All you are allowed to do is call the masters that dole out the free stuff the smarter, more caring, more loving amongst us. To call them the slave masters they really are these days is to not be sensitive, politically correct or makes you a hater, bla bla bla burp. The emperor has no clothes folks and to even say it in this culture of decay makes you the bad guy. Just because the truth makes you uncomfortable to deal with, doesn't mean it isn't the truth.

Well that's enough for today...I better put on my suit of armor for the arrows coming my way, but I'm just sick and tired of seeing Evil explained and excused away. In 1994 100 Million dollars was given in a grant to the City of Baltimore to fix things...of course you know it didn't fix anything, but it made those handing out other people's money feel better about themselves and smile for the camera and news articles about how compassionate they were and how enlightened, and how loving and caring. But meanwhile back in realityville...that 100 million didn't change a thing in the lives of the people it was intended to help. The next 100 million won't just as the Trillions spent on the fake "War on Poverty" hasn't decreased poverty.

Go ahead...slam away...I can take it...
Parapgraph One:You're comparing apples and oranges when you compare the actions of a revolutionary political/religious group with the world's poor. The former's goal is country/world domination . . . the latter is pure survival.
Paragraph Two: I find the logic in this paragraph difficult to follow but I believe you're saying that some small villages somewhere in the world have lower rates of crime than some big cities. So? We're not talking about some isolated villages but rather Nassau and the South and West Side of Chicago where violent crime is a direct result of poverty, poor education, lack of personal ethics and a culture of welfare. Racist? Hardly . . . this is Realism based upon well documented statistics.
Paragraph Three: I am perfectly capable of judging ethics/morals as a thinking rational being based upon my knowledge of 5,000 years of recorded human history and how people lived in successful civilizations versus those who lived in failed civilizations. And . . . this "racist" term you like to use in describing me is a failure on your part to intellectually defend your soggy, wandering opinions. Name calling is a sad ploy when the intellect fails. (See my above comment).
Paragraph Four: There is no apparent logic here denying a meltdown based upon the facts we are confronted with every day in rapes, murders, and robberies that are a daily regimen in these areas. You must, undoubtedly, wear your ethics on your sleeves--have you ever lived in a ghetto or in close proximity to one? It's really not necessary since by analyzing the daily facts, you would have to be totally blind not to understand that it is quite more than a meltdown . . . it is anarchy and the antithesis of Civilization. Just ask the unfortunate souls that must live in those areas.
Paragraph Five: By explaining this as "Evil," you must be referring to some biblical interpretation rather than one based in Sociology. I'm not certain that the devil is to blame but perhaps the conditions I mentioned initially: lack of education, culture of welfare dependence, non existence of personal or community ethics, etc. The error in your thinking, as I see it, is that money or ability to administrate is the answer. If that were the case, we would not have an 18 trillion dollar national debt and 70 years of a failed social welfare system that merely stuck a bandaid on a gaping wound. There is a culture of failure and a culture of success. How long do we keep deluding ourselves under the blanket of political correctness? I hope this explains my position. Good luck and good sailing and we sing Kumbaya, Kumbaya.
Old 21-05-2015, 14:35   #34

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
So I guess the problem with ISIS is a lack of Jobs and opportunity? I see a job at the US State Department in your future.

So if poverty and the evil of Income Inequality is the father of violence, rape and murder, why is it that so many villages of dirt poor people have lower crime rates than some wealthy “1st world” Cities? No, evil and bad people are the cause of crime and you find those in poor, middle class and rich communities in equal proportions around the world. We are not talking here about starving people stealing a loaf of bread to feed his children. We are talking rapes, murders, violent crimes.

We can't blame the evil/bad apples not just in the culture of the Islands but on the streets of Chicago, Wall street or Pennsylvania Ave. The smart educated position is to explain why the downtrodden have to resort to a life of crime. Na...it's not their fault or lack of morals...who's morals...who are you to judge right from wrong these days? You can't expect a poor man to have the same view of robbery/rape as a rich man....you bigot, you racist...you white privileged ass you...see where this not wanting to speak the truth to evil has gotten us. We can't even call a Thug a Thug anymore or you are a racist or risk offending the Thug!

There isn't a meltdown in the Bahamas, anymore than there is a meltdown in Ferguson, Baltimore, Chicago, and you pick the US or world big city where daddy Government is raising generations of people who's very livelihoods and existence is from a government handout rather from themselves. You can't judge and call out this failure. All you are allowed to do is call the masters that dole out the free stuff the smarter, more caring, more loving amongst us. To call them the slave masters they really are these days is to not be sensitive, politically correct or makes you a hater, bla bla bla burp. The emperor has no clothes folks and to even say it in this culture of decay makes you the bad guy. Just because the truth makes you uncomfortable to deal with, doesn't mean it isn't the truth.

Well that's enough for today...I better put on my suit of armor for the arrows coming my way, but I'm just sick and tired of seeing Evil explained and excused away. In 1994 100 Million dollars was given in a grant to the City of Baltimore to fix things...of course you know it didn't fix anything, but it made those handing out other people's money feel better about themselves and smile for the camera and news articles about how compassionate they were and how enlightened, and how loving and caring. But meanwhile back in realityville...that 100 million didn't change a thing in the lives of the people it was intended to help. The next 100 million won't just as the Trillions spent on the fake "War on Poverty" hasn't decreased poverty.

Go ahead...slam away...I can take it...
Rich, please do tell, was it 3 buck Chuck or something better you were drinking when you wrote this??? :big grin:

Actually, I can't disagree with what you wrote, just curious what what got your dress up over your head??
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 14:49   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
There are places in the U.S. I would fear for my well being much more than Freeport or Nassau. That said, they are just two towns on two islands among many in the Bahamas and easy enough to avoid, which is my preference. I sailed through the Bahamas bottom to top a couple years ago and didn't stop at either.
I live 70 miles from New Orleans. Compared to it, Nassau and the rest of the Bahamas are Disneyworld.
Old 21-05-2015, 15:27   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Actually, they have a thriving banking and financial services industry.

Almost forgot the BORCO refinery on Grand Bahama. Not sure of their current operations but I think they still operate a very large oil and gas shipping terminal.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 16:00   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
I'm not speaking so much about the recent burglaries and murders in Nassau but for many other such as rape and assault where no financial motive was indicated you can trace the root cause to the lack of mental care.
Castration is fairly cheap, and would prevent future rapes as well as procreation and the passing of flawed genes to future children.
sailnow2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 16:04   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
Rich, please do tell, was it 3 buck Chuck or something better you were drinking when you wrote this??? :big grin:

Actually, I can't disagree with what you wrote, just curious what what got your dress up over your head??

I won't speak for Rich but I'd guess he's tired of all the political correctness and the disastrous consequences because of it.

The Romantics are wired different than people like us and we are a minority amongst sailors for sure.

Back in 2006 I spent over 2 weeks on St. John, got to meet all the "ex pats" living on island thanks to my host.

Fine folks, a bit out there, but friendly for sure.

That changed when I mentioned that I was considering taking a position in law enforcement when I returned to the U.S. You would have thought I slapped someone's baby.

I have some friends in the FBI and they tell absolute horror stories about Puerto Rico and the rest of the islands they serve.

Anyway, when I head out, the Bahamas are where I will begin my journey.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2015, 09:56   #39
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
just curious what what got your dress up over your head??
Oh that's easy....

We all get so comfortable in the world we construct in our heads and feel/display pride in figuring it all out, that every once in a while you need to toss a flash-bang into the room to stir some thought. Oh sure...some people get it while others wrongly assert you are calling them racist, which goes to help make my point perfectly, even if they didn't realize it. An observed reading of my comments, specifically the term "racist", was not calling those that disagree with ME "racists" but rather was illustrating how people respond to hearing the truth about evil and bad apples!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
The error in your thinking, as I see it, is that money or ability to administrate is the answer.
If this is what you say I'm thinking or implying...ah....I get it now...you didn't actually READ what I wrote so that explains your confusion of the term racist also, so I'm being pranked....Good one.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2015, 13:24   #40

Boat: Bristol 41.1

As the OP, I am sad to see this thread go off the rails
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2015, 13:28   #41
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsky49 View Post
As the OP, I am sad to see this thread go off the rails
I'm not sure how answering your question with different points of view is considered going off the rails, I guess next time we won't try to discuss why the problem exists and just rant about the problem...
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2015, 14:09   #42
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsky49 View Post
So sad to hear of running gun battles with the gangs, murders and rape. I can never recall so many security alerts issued for the Bahamas before, or at least in the last 20 years
What are your sources (just asking)? How many of these reports involved cruisers? Besides my 2 recent cruises through the Bahamas with no issues, and following friends and many others on FB and blogs, I haven't heard mention of problems (other than Vasco).

Really, considering About two-thirds of the population lives on New Providence Island (the location of Nassau), and about half of the remaining one-third lives on Grand Bahama (the location of Freeport), it's a safe bet that's where the most crime would occur.

You need to sail a bit farther to find the meltdown (cruising related) - https://www.safetyandsecuritynet.com/recent_incidents/

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas