Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2013, 10:07   #31

Re: Bahamas entry fee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Keep in mind that $US300 buys you a year in the Bahamas if you get extensions which are easy to get. You can also leave and come back. For lots of sports fishermen out of Miami it amounts to a very small charge.
Not true. You can come back once in the first 90 days, and that's it.

People should be aware of the fishing regulations as well. What is posted online is often different than what is written on the back of the cruising permit. Online the official Bahamas website, as well as our own FWC, post that the Demersal (bottom fish) limit is 60 pounds per vessel, but many people have reported and I've seen pictures of the license that says 20# of demersal fish per vessel. That would make one decent grouper illegal.
Fishing Regulations - Bahamas | The Bahamas
So be careful what you take, post online, and brag about back at the dock.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:41   #32

Boat: Nordhavn 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
It's really too bad they charge such a ridiculous fee--doesn't make any sense for many of us who used to pop over for a few weeks some winters. Heck, I used to check in on my way north just to break up the trip--no more, now I suggest bypassing the Bahamas unless you're planning on spending some time there.

With Turks and Caicos no better at $100 for a 7 days stays and $300 for a 90 days cruising permit, it is going to be longer bypasses...

Michel
siroismi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 13:24   #33

Boat: Victory V35 - Beach Cruiser

I cleared in at Green Turtle in December and was charged $300.00. I am 35' and was always charged $150.00 in the past. Over 30' be prepared to pay $300.00.
Old 05-02-2013, 13:28   #34

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishspearit View Post

Not true. You can come back once in the first 90 days, and that's it.

People should be aware of the fishing regulations as well. What is posted online is often different than what is written on the back of the cruising permit. Online the official Bahamas website, as well as our own FWC, post that the Demersal (bottom fish) limit is 60 pounds per vessel, but many people have reported and I've seen pictures of the license that says 20# of demersal fish per vessel. That would make one decent grouper illegal.
Fishing Regulations - Bahamas | The Bahamas
So be careful what you take, post online, and brag about back at the dock.
I thin its 20 demersal fislh per vessel or 60 lbs. Not 20 lbs of fish.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 14:09   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Yikes! Talk about hosing the locals or frequent visitors!

That would mean- if you run over to Bimini for a few days- $300. If the next trip to The Abacos is May-June or for race week, that is another $300. If the next trip is in the fall after Hurrican Season quiets down another $300. It isn't the $300 bite, it is the repeated blood-letting.

Hmmm FLA Keys are looking better.

Bill
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 14:49   #36

Boat: Finnsailer 38

It will be interesting to see if pricing changes when Cuba opens up fully some day. It's only 90 some odd miles from Key West.
Old 05-02-2013, 15:13   #37

Boat: Haida 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
It will be interesting to see if pricing changes when Cuba opens up fully some day. It's only 90 some odd miles from Key West.
I think it's time to lift the embargo on Cuba, where's the threat.... I would really like to spend some time there. I've been to Guantanamo Bay in the late sixty's, beautiful place... Michael...

Not the base........
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 15:37   #38

Boat: 35' Canadian Northern

I am heading to PR and wasn't planning to stop in the Bahamas on the way down. Can one "yellow flag" it through the islands or must one check in and pay the fees anyway?
misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 15:54   #39

Boat: Mac 26X
Quote:
Originally Posted by misty
I am heading to PR and wasn't planning to stop in the Bahamas on the way down. Can one "yellow flag" it through the islands or must one check in and pay the fees anyway?
I read multiple places people say you can pass through without paying. But I'm assuming that means you're not stopping anywhere. If I was the Bahamas I would expect you to pay if you drop an anchor
Old 13-02-2013, 16:30   #40

Boat: Bristol 34

Straight from the BMoT:

Entry Fees:

All boaters entering The Bahamas are required to pay an entry fee.

a) For boats up to 35', the fee is $150.00

b) For boats over 35', the fee is $300.00

THE FEES WILL COVER:

1) Cruising Permit

2) Fishing Permit

3) Departure Tax for up to three (3) persons. Each additional person above three will be charged a $25 departure tax (from Grand Bahama Island this tax is $28 for each additional person above three departing). This fee is good for a second re-entry within a 90-day period.

If you plan to stay longer than 12 months, special arrangements must be made with Bahamas Customs and Immigration. Bahamas Customs and Immigration office hours are from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays. Officers are on call during holidays and weekends. There is no overtime charge.
rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 00:00   #41
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 37' Oyster Heritage

Quote:
Originally Posted by misty View Post
Yes. I've done it twice. I wasn't furtive about it; Q flag and courtesy flag flying. The relevant UN regulations are: Convention on the Territorial Sea and the Contiguous Zone 1958 and United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea. Bit of googling brings them up.

As far as I see, there is no problem with seeking shelter and even refueling without clearing in.
sestina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 06:57   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by sestina View Post
As far as I see, there is no problem with seeking shelter and even refueling without clearing in.
Ah very interesting! I'll have to look into that more, I always assumed "Q-ing through" was a matter of just passing through the territorial waters, without stopping.
Old 14-02-2013, 07:02   #43
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover88 View Post
Straight from the BMoT:

Entry Fees:

All boaters entering The Bahamas are required to pay an entry fee.

a) For boats up to 35', the fee is $150.00

b) For boats over 35', the fee is $300.00

THE FEES WILL COVER:

1) Cruising Permit

2) Fishing Permit

3) Departure Tax for up to three (3) persons. Each additional person above three will be charged a $25 departure tax (from Grand Bahama Island this tax is $28 for each additional person above three departing). This fee is good for a second re-entry within a 90-day period.

If you plan to stay longer than 12 months, special arrangements must be made with Bahamas Customs and Immigration. Bahamas Customs and Immigration office hours are from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays. Officers are on call during holidays and weekends. There is no overtime charge.
I am confused there was a post about these fees being dramatically increased. Are you saying that is not true??
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2013, 07:08   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
I am confused there was a post about these fees being dramatically increased. Are you saying that is not true??
I'm not sure why Rover posted this info, It's the same as has been said, it's been dealt with over and over. There are Gov't web sites with this info and the new info, so no, one site isn't gonna settle the issue.
Old 14-02-2013, 10:58   #45

Boat: 35' Canadian Northern

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGatoGordo View Post
Ah very interesting! I'll have to look into that more, I always assumed "Q-ing through" was a matter of just passing through the territorial waters, without stopping.
I have been told that one can and cant Q flag it through the bah's, but I would like to know for sure as I am single handing this trip.

Perhaps someone there that reads this forum can find out.

The reason that I need to know is because I am disabeled and need to fill my Rx via CVS pharmacy. In the Spanish VI's this would be no problem. I don't think the the Bahamas have CVS.

Skip A.

sestina... are you saying that you have done a Q flag deal thru the islands... am I reading you right?
misty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas