Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-02-2016, 11:11   #31

Boat: temporarily boatless...
Re: Bahamas destinations for 7' draft??

Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Sorry Pete, I guess it's not your day lol.
I sort of like pouring myself.
Kinda funny really. Starting to get a little gun shy, though!

pete33458 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 16:28   #32

Sorry Bud, just Joshin around. I also frequent fishing boards and often crack up when someone talks about hitting the "Mother Load"....

paxfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 03:22   #33

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

We're 7' and we're in White Sound, Green Turtle Cay, at anchor awaiting the blow. Entry through the balls (vs buoys; very small channel) a non-event ~5" above low tide.

We anchored in anticipation of a blow; it's an all-around protection...
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at!
Follow us at
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 20:16   #34

I sailed 4000 nm my first season (last season) in the Bahamas and Caribbean. I have a 6.5' draft and never ran aground, but I was always careful. I passed through the Abaco a couple of times. The first of those I took "long" routes to avoid shallower areas. The second time I took advantage of the tides and was able to cut off a lot of miles.

But the key is to have good charts. In the Abaco I used Dodge's book. I'm now planning 6 months in the Bahamas south of the Abaco where it is even shallower. I'm using the Explorer Charts. Yes, I will not be able to get into many of the ports/marinas, but most places there are anchorages that will give me good access.

If you can't get into marinas or real close in, then you are going to be more susceptible to rolling at anchor. You might even have to move with shifting winds. But it can be done and I'm looking forward to the beaches and snorkeling in the Exuma and elsewhere.

The most important thing that I can stress is that you need good ground tackle that you trust. In a blow, even in a protected location, you can have huge loads on your ground tackle. You should always use a snubber (made of nylon line, not one of those rubber things) and I carry a special one the design of which was recommended by Practical Sailor for very windy conditions.

mlibkind is offline   Reply With Quote

Bahamas, destination, draft

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: