Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2017, 07:25   #16

Boat: Tartan 37
Re: Bahamas Cruising Recommendations

We have good luck with squid and feather lures (pink or green) and excellence luck with red/white cedar plugs. On the East Coast, have very good luck with Pet Spoons. Don't use too big of leader, I use 100lb mono. Check it daily for nicks and cut them out. Get a gaff, to help bring in all the fish. I've also used a long pole spear.

If you have android device, go to PlayStore and download MX Mariner app and then download the free NOAA charts and play around with that. Then setup an Active Capt account, so you can load that very valuable information and become part of that community. Once you got that down, get the Bahamas Charts downloaded.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2017, 08:27   #17

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

If you are using Navionics in the Bahamas be very careful and watch the water all the time. Navionics will run you over islands. Do a search on this site and you will learn how terrible Navionics is. Buy some Explorer paper charts or electronic charts that use Explorer data, C Map or Garmin. Unfortunately if you can only use Navionics you're out of luck and do not rely on them.
Old 13-12-2017, 08:28   #18

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

For under 30 bucks you can get Garmin on an I pad.
Old 13-12-2017, 17:50   #19

Boat: 50 Bene

Sorry you have had trouble with Navionics, we on the other hand have been very pleased with them. Only charts we use and trust them going on five years Maine to Bahamas and back a few times. Depth shown is pretty accurate and we feel very safe using them. Only time we touched bottom was between Allan's and leaf Cay and only because our windlass stopped working and accidentally drifted on to the bar. As always use your head and look at the water. Rarely did we ever see less than 8 or 9 feet, and then only for a short time. Move on the outside and fish then anchor inside. Highbourne is nice and deep Cambridge is awesome Wadrick Wells same Staniel is nice. You can anchor at Cambridge, Ruddercut and tons of other places not to mention Georgetown. Enjoy and ballyhoo with a skirt and you will be giving away fish at the cruisers beach. Oh and don't pass up Shroud Cay and Hawksbill both goergous and quiet.

Cheerio
Will
Old 14-12-2017, 02:14   #20

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
For under 30 bucks you can get Garmin on an I pad.
Are you talking about Blue chart? I think it's been discontinued. Do thread search.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 13:06   #21

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 54DS

Thanks a lot for the fishing recs. I have had such spotty luck. Baby mahis and then a 3m blue marlin lol.

Does active captain have charts as well or is it just a community forum?
jhill82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 14:51   #22

If you want a marina, I'd go to Great Harbor Cay in the Berry's. Very good monthly rate. Friendly place. Lots of sail. Will have some good Christmas and New Year's events. Your draft will be no problem. Some people make Great Harbor Cay a first stop and never go any farther. Very protected in Dec-Feb northerlies -which can be pretty brutal (30 knots) and go on for 2-3 days.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 14:55   #23

Boat: Tartan 37

Active Capt is the active community that feeds the data, need to join. Then you need a navigation device and program/software that has AC community data on it. I've use MX Mariner, and the Bahamas Charts cost $20 for each north & south. Those are very good and you can load them on multiple devices. My Garmin chart plotters don't have the AC data, but they are some of the best electronic charts for the Bahamas. Need to check, but up to last year many of the Garmin plotters came with the Bahamas pre-loaded and they are based on the Explorer Chartbooks. I don't think that they are preloaded anymore. And Garmin doesn't have any electronic navigation charts for $30 with the Bahamas. If someone finds them please post. With a deep draft boat you need all the info you can get.

Got to love Garmin wins an award and next year kills the software.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/114005
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2018, 12:24   #24

We cruise the Bahamas yearly. We started using Elliot to share points of interest and courses with friends. Give it a try, it’s free. You can find it under “Elliot Marine Navigation” on the google play store. Not sure if iOS is out yet but they said coming soon. Hope it helps!
Lagoontpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2018, 03:35   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Lagoontpi.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, cruising, men