Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2019, 10:11   #1

BAHAMAS CRUISING PERMIT - PROPOSED CHANGES

Recent discussion with boaters suggests that the Bahamas is changing the cruising permit costs starting on January 1, 2020. The only available information I can find states it will be between $150 and $4000 depending on length of stay and length of vessel. Has anyone seen the full proposal from the Ministry of Finance?
MV Woosah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 10:20   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34
Re: BAHAMAS CRUISING PERMIT - PROPOSED CHANGES

http://www.tribune242.com/news/2019/...-back-awaited/

Cruising Permit Rise 'Push Back' Awaited
As of Thursday, May 30, 2019

#By Neil Hartnell and Natario McKenzie

#Tribune Business Staff

#The Ministry of Finance’s top official yesterday said the government “feels comfortable” that the boating industry can absorb increased cruising permit rates despite marina concerns.

#Marlon Johnson, the acting financial secretary, told Tribune Business that the government had conducted benchmarking studies on similar fees in rival Caribbean jurisdictions before unveiling the new structure in yesterday’s 2019-2020 budget.

#“We feel comfortable the market can absorb it,” he said. “We anticipate push back from some of the players in the market, but we feel with rates elsewhere in the region the market can absorb the increase.”

#KP Turnquest, deputy prime minister, yesterday revealed that “government will increase cruising permit fees from $150 on boats up to 34 feet, and $300 on boats 35 feet and over, to a set of rates based on size and length of stay ranging from $150 per three months to $4,000 per year. These rates will become effective January 1, 2020, so as to allow a transition period for the boating industry”.

#THE Association of Bahamas Marinas (ABM) said yesterday that while it supports the government’s need to increase revenue, it remains “deeply concerned” that proposed fee increases on the boating sector are being announced in an environment where there has been no improvement in important aspects of the industry’s infrastructure.

#Peter Maury, the association’s president, in a statement said: “The Association of Bahamas Marinas is supportive of the government’s need to increase revenue, and are happy to see the maritime sector play its part.

#“The increases presented by the deputy prime minister and minister of finance in today’s budget communication will contribute to this. The proposed increases have yet to be debated. After that takes place, we will immediately inform the industry.”

#Mr Maury added: “We warmly welcome the imminent introduction of the ‘single window’ online collection portal for processing marine traffic, but remain deeply concerned that these fees are being announced in an environment in which there has been no improvement in important aspects of the industry’s infrastructure, with aids to navigation being of particular concern. For example, the NW channel light, a light of significant importance, remains non-functional after 28 years
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 10:34   #3

So they're announcing in advance so that the industry can adjust, but they don't know what the fees will be?
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 10:50   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

The article indicates the rate will be based on the length of the boat and the length of the stay.

It already costs me $300 for a 42' boat regardless of how long I stay. Don't have any plans to spend more that a month or so max and if the cost for that goes up to much more that $300 I'm going to think about plan B.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 11:13   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and belated welcome aboard the CF, Woosah.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 11:45   #6

Boat: Sailboat

source: https://www.bahamas.com/faq/enteringexiting-policies

Quote:
Updated fees effective Jan. 1, 2020 are as follows:
Up to 34’: $150 for 3 months; $300 annually
35’ – 100’: $300 for 3 months; $600 annually
100’ – 150’: $500 for 3 months; $1,000 annually
150’ – 200’: $800 for 3 months; $2,000 annually
Over 200’: $1,000 for 3 months; $2,000 annually

The fees will cover:
1) Cruising Permit
2) Fishing Permit
3) Departure Tax for up to three (3) persons. Each additional person above three will be charged a $20 departure tax. This fee is good for a second re-entry within a 90-day period.
If you plan to stay longer than 12 months, special arrangements must be made with Bahamas Customs and Immigration. Bahamas Customs and Immigration office hours are from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays. Officers are on call during holidays and weekends.
There is no overtime charge.
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 07:37   #7
cruiser

Boat: Living the dream - New Gunboat 55

With the exception of the central and southern Exuma Islands the Bahamas have become a cesspool of corruption and crime. Their government is a mess and the narco cartels have all but taken over through bribery and intimidation. Not even the high traffic tourist areas are secure anymore.

As the U.S. and global economies begin to crash (and they will) local officials and governments at large will try to find ways to take as much money as possible from anyone and everyone.

Please mark my words this is only the beginning, watch Europe carefully as it is beginning to crash the U.S. and the world at large will follow.

SeaQuest OE II
TigerPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 08:00   #8

Boat: Pearson 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaws View Post
With the exception of the central and southern Exuma Islands the Bahamas have become a cesspool of corruption and crime. Their government is a mess and the narco cartels have all but taken over through bribery and intimidation. Not even the high traffic tourist areas are secure anymore.
I've never experienced anything approaching that in the Abacos, that's still a part of the Bahamas right?
Quote:

As the U.S. and global economies begin to crash (and they will) local officials and governments at large will try to find ways to take as much money as possible from anyone and everyone.

Please mark my words this is only the beginning, watch Europe carefully as it is beginning to crash the U.S. and the world at large will follow.

SeaQuest OE II
Wow, I might as well end it now based on that prediction. BTW what is your prediction accuracy percentage?
mjscottinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 08:09   #9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjscottinnc View Post
I've never experienced anything approaching that in the Abacos, that's still a part of the Bahamas right?
Wow, I might as well end it now based on that prediction. BTW what is your prediction accuracy percentage?
Perhaps if you would like to further engage in this conversation we could start another thread under an appropriate topic and I will prove beyond any doubt my point, if you are willing to listen?

SeaQuest OE II
Old 15-08-2019, 08:17   #10

Boat: Pearson 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaws View Post
Perhaps if you would like to further engage in this conversation we could start another thread under an appropriate topic and I will prove beyond any doubt my point, if you are willing to listen?

SeaQuest OE II
Well there were 8 posts in this thread and I read all of them before I replied. Your points were clearly stated as were mine. Additional explanations I fear will only provide a forum for the circular conversation and justifications that are all too common now-a-days.

I'll respectfully decline. Cheers.
mjscottinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 08:20   #11
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjscottinnc View Post
Well there were 8 posts in this thread and I read all of them before I replied. Your points were clearly stated as were mine. Additional explanations I fear will only provide a forum for the circular conversation and justifications that are all too common now-a-days.

I'll respectfully decline. Cheers.
I understand.

SeaQuest OE II
Old 15-08-2019, 08:42   #12

The Bahamas increasing their cruising fees won't mean that cruisers will increase their cruising budget. It just means that money that was being spent in local businesses and marinas, will simply be re-directed to government coffers in Nassau.

On our last trip to the Bahamas, we probably spend $2000 in marinas and another $1500 to $2500 in local restaurants and shops. That is where the cruising fee will come from when we go next time. We'll just anchor out more, and cook more of our own food. The locals will suffer, but hey, it's their government.
Old 15-08-2019, 08:51   #13

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

What’s that they say? oh yeah, that tourists find what the brought with them,
We have not had any negative interactions with the citizens of the Bahamas. Currently on the way back again. That and it’s not our country, they can do whatever they want to, if you don’t like what the Bahamians are doing, don’t go to their country.

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 08:53   #14
CLOD

Boat: none

$300 for me for 3 months as compared to $200/mo for a live aboard fee plus the regular slip price in the US

It all works out in the end that you are going to pay to play.
Old 15-08-2019, 09:04   #15

The magnitude of the increases don't seem unreasonable - but for an annual fee it would seem more reasonable to allow multiple exits/entries. And, the annual cost in combination with this restriction would be a consideration in deciding whether to keep a boat there for a couple of seasons or a year. Not that the government is likely to listen....
wcapital is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, cruising, permit