Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2007, 19:27   #16
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
but I have been to Anagada BVI which seems the same to me.
Aye, Anegada: A paradise for treasure hunters. Plenty of old wrecks in them shallow waters.
Also, no airport on Anegada, nice and quiet, no Las Vegas.

Don't know much about Bora Bora, don't think I have been there. (Short memory, lots of travel, 80+ countires at last count some years ago)

Good luck in Bora.
Old 14-01-2007, 19:46   #17

Boat: Passport 51 - Matsu
Bahamas Guide

We got given the "The Bahamas Cruising Guide" by Wilson which seems to have lots of info, but IMHO doesn't really cover the most important questions for me in a yacht being draft and good anchorages. I think it's more aimed at power boats, although not having been to the Bahamas you have to take that with a pinsh of salt.

We are picking up our "new" boat in April in Fort Lauderdale and would love to see some of the Abacos, before heading north to avoid hurricane season, but we draw just under 7'6" would love your feedback on whether we will spend all our time running aground or worrying about running aground or if we can actually enjoy ourselves and find some good anchorages.
SydneyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2007, 20:25   #18
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
but we draw just under 7'6" would love your feedback on whether we will spend all our time running aground or worrying about running aground or if we can actually enjoy ourselves and find some good anchorages.
7'6" in the Bahamas could cause a problem indeed.
Anything over 6' requires a bit of planning.
Over 7 feet draft could be a head-ace, but doable, somehow...

I draw 5'5" and have run aground many, many times.
Most of it because of lack of planning on my part.

Ya can cross the banks and do Nassau and the Yellow Banks and all that, but uh, no shortcuts, no fancy stuff and ya anchor way out.
Old 14-01-2007, 21:47   #19

Boat: MacGregor 26M Lynx
SyndeyTim - A froward Sonar would help you from running aground so much. Don't count the charts being that good in the Bahamas and Florida. They will help.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2007, 06:39   #20

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Lynx,

In the Bahamas the best depth sounder is your eyes.
Old 15-01-2007, 12:31   #21

Boat: Passport 51 - Matsu
Bahamas Cruising Guide

I'm not too bothered about knowing how deep it is when I'm there, I have spent many a year cruising in reefs etc in Oz so know most of the tricks for that.

I guess my point is does having a draft that deep preclude me from most of the good anchorages and therefore make going to all the hassles of navigating in shallow water not worth it?
SydneyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2007, 13:14   #22

Sydney Tim,

I see that you intend to go to the Abacos. With 7'6" you're going to have problems anchoring in many of the more popular spots, especially south of Whale Cay. You will need the tide to get into Treasure Cay and Hopetown. You will have problems anchoring in Marsh Harbour . These are the most "popular" spots. If you want quiet anchorages there are many to be found north of Whale Cay but well sheltered spots might be a problem. I should state that I have not been in the Abacos for four years or so and my information might be a bit dated. Wilson's guide is more of a route planner than a detailed guide. For depths and spots to anchor you're better off with Pavlidis or Dodge or Explorer Charts.

If I might suggest, going to the Berries and the Exumas might be better. Your draft will be less of a problem in the Exumas as there are lots of cuts out to the sound and quite a few anchorages with more than 8 ft. You will still have to anchor a bit further out in some anchorages but for the most part it shouldn't be much of a problem.
Old 15-01-2007, 14:14   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
What Vasco (Rick I.) said.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2007, 15:01   #24

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
I would never go to the Bahamas under any circumstances. On any given time in the last 5 or 6 times we have been there we hated it The anchorages are terrible, the beaches are atrocious and the people are scary We will be there again but only to warn all of the other cruisers that for their own sake they should probably head for home as soon as possible It will be a major sacrifice for us be we feel compelled to help others as much as possible as responsible cruisers. I think the rest of the Caribbean would be a much better choice as well as the South Pacific Have fun and please stay away from this terrible place.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2007, 15:33   #25

Chuck,

I thought of a reply along your lines but thought it futile as they just keep coming anyway, no matter how terrible it is!! Everyone bitched when the cruising permit went up to $300 but the traffic is just as heavy.
Old 16-01-2007, 04:57   #26

Best Depth sounder??? Well, I am going to have a forward sonar put in. I may go with the cheepest single transducer or the most expensive 2 transducer.

But to answer your question, The depth sounder reads where you have been. Most are about the same. From all the reviews I have seen, I am sure some will differ. Keeping the transducer clean is a factor. Although the most reliable is a lead line in a dinghy.
Old 16-01-2007, 09:14   #27

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Lynx, Correct me if I am wrong but with the board up I believe your boat draws 12 inches. You really shouldn't have much of a depth issue no matter where you go. Lucky you.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2007, 21:01   #28

Yes, that is true, Boards and MOTOR up I draw 12 inches, not much of a problem, with the motor down 18 inches min. But I am going on a search in the Bahamas for the perfect uncharted Island in badly charted waters.
Old 17-01-2007, 04:41   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx
But I am going on a search in the Bahamas for the perfect uncharted Island in badly charted waters.
Lynx,

In that case you might do better and head off to Bora Bora with Limpet because in the last 15 years the Bahamas waters have become quite well charted. The charts have changed from the 16th century to the 21st all in a relatively short span. Good luck in your quest.
Old 17-01-2007, 06:12   #30

Thanks for letting me know, I had heard that South and west of Andros is/was still not to well charted. Bora Bora is to far for my coastal cruiser.

Like everything else, I may have to down size as well.

Tags
Bahamas, cruising guides