Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2012, 04:44   #61

Boat: 2001 Beneteau 411
Re: Bahamas Cruising Areas - Recommendations Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisjay View Post
I don't think that is true in many areas. In Bimini, I had to trek to the airport to clear in, so it didn't matter where the boat was.
Thanks. For future information, I wonder about West End and the Berry's
Pete
prroots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:25   #62

We inquired at Nassau Yacht Haven about using their dock to clear in. Normally they charge $2/foot for an overnight transient slip, but if you dock just for clearing in and then depart the cost is $20. Thought that may be of interest.
Pet
Old 06-04-2012, 18:07   #63

Boat: Mainship 34, Flying Scot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisjay View Post
I don't think that is true in many areas. In Bimini, I had to trek to the airport to clear in, so it didn't matter where the boat was.
That hasn't been my experience, I've cleared in at Bimini 3 times('06, '07, '11), and all 3 times I tied up at Weeches, which is just south of the gov't dock, and walked next door to the customs & immigration offices to check in. If you want to spend the night at Weeches, it's pretty reasonable at .85/ft.
micksbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 13:41   #64

Try the Berry Islands, a lot are uninhabited. Just there stopped at the Berry Islands Club for food and drink. Great place, just call ahead for food, great conch chowder, channel 16.
suters01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:15   #65

I just checked Hurricane Hole Marina. They want $60 to tie up for clearing customs & immigration.
Pete
Old 11-04-2012, 03:17   #66

We head to the Exumas today with our second guest. She only has 5 days (not counting air travel days) so we probably won't get any further than Warderick Wells. Hope to do Allens and Shroud also. What is there to do at Highborne besides eat at their restaurant? Is there anything at Normans that would be more interesting than Shroud? We think she likes laying on the beach and soaking up the sun; not sure about snorkeling or hiking.
Pete
Old 11-04-2012, 03:59   #67
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by micksbuddy View Post
That hasn't been my experience, I've cleared in at Bimini 3 times('06, '07, '11), and all 3 times I tied up at Weeches, which is just south of the gov't dock, and walked next door to the customs & immigration offices to check in. If you want to spend the night at Weeches, it's pretty reasonable at .85/ft.
I was just in Bimini last week and also stayed at Weeches and walked over and cleared in next door- so thats still happening- there rebuilding the Goverment docks now and will have a ferry service to Ft. Laud. starting this summer---still.85 a foot
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:10   #68

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Keep in mind that Bahamas Customs and Immigration is on strike, although it hasn't really affected much more than some delays at the major airports...so far.
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:31   #69

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

About checking in to a marina before clearing customs -- we cleared in at Bimini after simply anchoring off the little beach near the seawall just south of the Customs building. We have a shallow-draft boat and we just put the nose right on the beach. No one cared, and none of the customs guys asked if we were at a marina. We were in and out in about an hour. I assume anyone as cheap as us, but with deeper draft, could simply anchor across the channel and dinghy in.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:28   #70

Boat: Cape Dory

I need to bring some repair parts in with me (boat is already there). I understand that they are now duty free so long as you show your cruising permit. Unfortunately, the CP is on the boat . . . anyone have any sense for how Bahamian C&I will handle this? I assume they'll either let me go (its not that much stuff - a sail, some line and a pump) or make me leave it at the airport until I come back with the permit. Any experiences with this?
TIA
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:58   #71

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch

Just have your permit scanned and emailed to you to print. This is a good idea wherever you go, scan it and email it to yourself for this type of situation
waterworldly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:12   #72

Boat: Hunter 430

It seems that every other customs facility outside of Nassau is way more laid back than in Nassau itself. Bimini is quite easy....so is West End. Spanish Cay charges $50, but is perhaps the most laid back in regards to customs. Pete, if you are going to be in the Bahamas for an extended period, perhaps swing over to Great Harbor and check in again, or somewhere down the Exumas.

The restaurant at Highbourne Cay has a beautiful view. Usually plenty of sharks around the marina, which are fun to look at. We walked to the ocean side and had a gorgeous beach all to ourselves. If the wind is up from the east, the beach right below the restaurant is quite lovely as well and protected from the wind. We didn't think that we would like Highbourne, and did.

Tell Karen we said hi! - K
hogfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 17:45   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo
I need to bring some repair parts in with me (boat is already there). I understand that they are now duty free so long as you show your cruising permit. Unfortunately, the CP is on the boat . . . anyone have any sense for how Bahamian C&I will handle this? I assume they'll either let me go (its not that much stuff - a sail, some line and a pump) or make me leave it at the airport until I come back with the permit. Any experiences with this?
TIA
You are looking for trouble from C & I if you come back to the Bahamas without a copy of your CP, especially if you don't have a return ticket home. Sometimes immigration will give us all the time we request and never ask for the CP but most of the time they want to see it...............the parts could be the least of your problems.
Pmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 17:58   #74

Boat: Cape Dory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmary View Post
You are looking for trouble from C & I if you come back to the Bahamas without a copy of your CP, especially if you don't have a return ticket home. Sometimes immigration will give us all the time we request and never ask for the CP but most of the time they want to see it...............the parts could be the least of your problems.
Thanks for the heads-up. I knew better but we left in a hurry and I guess I had a brain cramp. I don't think I will be able to get a copy of the CP before I return. Any thoughts on how best to handle this? Maybe I should call the office where I cleared in and request a copy or other record?
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 18:42   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo

Thanks for the heads-up. I knew better but we left in a hurry and I guess I had a brain cramp. I don't think I will be able to get a copy of the CP before I return. Any thoughts on how best to handle this? Maybe I should call the office where I cleared in and request a copy or other record?
If you absolutely can't get a copy of the permit maybe you can get the permit number, my bet is that if you have the number are very contrite they will cut you some slack.......good luck.
Pmary is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, cruising, bahamas