Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2017, 15:24   #46

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Re: Bahamas Crossing At Night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
I love sailing at night and often prefer it. To me it is magical to be out on the water with the moon and the stars, bioluminescence, dolphins, etc. Some of my favorite memories sailing are at night. I saw St Elmo's fire at night once which was amazing.

I suppose I am also younger than most of you guys and not quite so over the hill as it were. I could see where being old and tired could make sailing at night less appealing. If your balance isn't as good as it used to be you might not be so comfortable walking around the boat at night. Maybe eyesight isn't so great anymore. Plus you guys probably have a harder time adjusting your sleep schedules.
Maybe to some degree, but honestly while night sailing can have it's joys, I've never really enjoyed staying up all night. I'm glad I've experienced a few night crossings, but overall, I prefer to sleep at night, rather than stay up all night. One doesn't have to stay up all night to enjoy some after dark sailing.

When I was younger, I had read so much about the benefits of arriving in the morning to ensure one was not arriving after dark, but after I did a few crossings, I realized there was really no need to sail through the night to accomplish this. Also, once I got to know the West End area, I also knew there were places I could comfortably anchor after dark if need be, which I've in fact done. The potential of arriving after dark simply doesn't scare me as it did when was younger, doing my first crossings.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 15:59   #47

As always, everyone's thoughts and opinions appreciated. In the end what worked for us was a leisurely departure from Dinner Key at around 10AM followed by a 24 hour sail that put us arriving at Great Harbor Cay the following morning.

One thing I will say in favor of a day crossing of the Gulf Stream is that I managed to catch a nice Dorado along the way!

Cheers
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 16:36   #48

Boat: 1995 hunter 430

just crossed the gulf stream for the first in january, it was night....think about it, if you sail at night your sails will last longer because of the UV..........
Navicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 17:48   #49
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
As always, everyone's thoughts and opinions appreciated. In the end what worked for us was a leisurely departure from Dinner Key at around 10AM followed by a 24 hour sail that put us arriving at Great Harbor Cay the following morning.
^^^^^^^^^^^

Bingo!
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 21:04   #50

Boat: Lagoon 450, Bavaria Vision 40

Never fail to sail on a favourable wind. And, true as said above, winter weather windows for crossing the stream can be short. Our last crossing we started in the afternoon in order for the waves from the blow to settle. Was a little uncomfortable the first two hours but better then. Got dark middle of the stream, wind still going down so motor sailing. Motored across the bank during the night in total calm to Chubb Cay. From there sailed in the favourable building breeze to Rose Island east of Nassau. Two of us took turns in the night watches.
roetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 03:09   #51

Boat: 1995 hunter 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by roetter View Post
Never fail to sail on a favourable wind. And, true as said above, winter weather windows for crossing the stream can be short. Our last crossing we started in the afternoon in order for the waves from the blow to settle. Was a little uncomfortable the first two hours but better then. Got dark middle of the stream, wind still going down so motor sailing. Motored across the bank during the night in total calm to Chubb Cay. From there sailed in the favourable building breeze to Rose Island east of Nassau. Two of us took turns in the night watches.
Let it be known Chubb cay is CLOSED
Navicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 06:07   #52
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navicula View Post
Let it be known Chubb cay is CLOSED
Now what?
Bankrupt or another re-modeling?
Old 24-02-2017, 10:45   #53
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Now what?
Bankrupt or another re-modeling?
Hurricane Matthew? From Active Captain - The island has reported that due to damage from Hurricane Matthew, the entire island is closed.
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 16:47   #54

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
I will byte:

not over the Hill, but rather on top of it.
Reminds me of the story of the young bull and the old bull standing on a hill together looking down at a bunch of young firm cows in the valley. The young bull says, "Let's run down and fk one of them". The Old Bull says, "How 'bout we walk down and fk all of them."

I'm not sure exactly when I got "old", but it's going pretty good so far despite having to stand up more slowly, needing more light to see and having to have a pair of magnifying glasses around my neck.

We made A LOT of mistakes when we were younger. There's not enough time and money left to recover from young stupid mistakes anymore.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 18:02   #55
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSgtPitt View Post
Reminds me of the story of the young bull and the old bull standing on a hill together looking down at a bunch of young firm cows in the valley. The young bull says, "Let's run down and fk one of them". The Old Bull says, "How 'bout we walk down and fk all of them."

I'm not sure exactly when I got "old", but it's going pretty good so far despite having to stand up more slowly, needing more light to see and having to have a pair of magnifying glasses around my neck.

We made A LOT of mistakes when we were younger. There's not enough time and money left to recover from young stupid mistakes anymore.
Yup, lots of stupid mistakes in my wake too.
Wish I knew then what I know now: I would have worked a lot less and have had other folks work for me.
Been sitting on the couch lately day-trading stock, easy and lucrative. Why did I roll out of bed go to work in the past?
No idea..
Old 02-03-2017, 13:27   #56

Boat: Hunter, 31 (1983)

Have done Fort Lauderdale to Port Lucaya at night. Full moon, Dolphins, Bioluminescence. It was amazing. We did it in three watches of 4 hours, so no one lost too much sleep.
Old 23-03-2017, 16:33   #57

Boat: 1989 Elan 43s

I love sailing at night... My wife and kid love sleeping at night... So we do most of our long passages at night, then in the morning they wake up prepare breakfast, we eat together, then they go play and I go to sleep.
Everybody happy!

Long passages can bore people, so if not effectivelly navigating or piloting, sleepong is the next best thing!
Jellyfish M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 13:48   #58

Boat: Melody 34

Anyone know when Chubb Cay will open?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
strangertides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 15:18   #59

Boat: Boatless

No idea but I did ghost in there ar 4am a few months ago, no moon and cleared the barrier somehow, surreal!

They were not happy with us the next morning :-)

If you find out please post, great stop!

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas