Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2010, 10:31   #1

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Bahamas Clearance Changes

Just in time for the cruising season, the Bahamian government has decided to adjust fees for boaters. The duty for leaving your vessel permanently in the Bahamas has been changed to 10% for all vessels. Previously the fees were 27% for vessels under 30 feet and 6% for vessels over 30 feet. Clearance fees for boaters have also changed. Previously 4 persons were covered under the $150.00 fee (for vessels under 35 feet), or $300 (for vessels over 35 feet), but under the current change, only 3 persons (over the age of 6) will be covered. An additional $20 is due for each additional person, this was $15, and the new departure tax has also been increased to $20, which was also $15. I hope this is not too confusing. A vessel clearing in for the second time in 90 days is subject to a $30 transportation fee each for the Customs and Immigration Officers. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:43   #2

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
I was considering paying duty on my Hunter when I decided to store it in the Bahamas last winter, but that extra 4% changed my mind.

Thanks for the update.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:54   #3
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
When or have they yet started this? I was just there three weeks ago and they never mentioned this. At least not in Bimini where I usually check in.

Just out of curiosity because I don't think it's been discussed on CF before. How many people that go over there for a short visit always check in and really pay the fees? I know the rules and the supposed punishment. But I see, especially amoung power boaters who jus anchor out, those that just don't bother. I think it's far more prevalent in Bimini than else where but I was just curious if anybody would fess up.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:03   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
I was considering paying duty on my Hunter when I decided to store it in the Bahamas last winter, but that extra 4% changed my mind.

Thanks for the update.
I think the duty is for importing the boat and registering it in the Bahamas. If you just want to keep it in the Bahamas for more than one year there's a fee of five hundred dollars per year. You can do this for three years.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:05   #5

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
The new regulations and fees will not change anything for the usual cruising couple. It's still $150 or $300. It'll only cost more if you have four or more people aboard when you enter.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:09   #6

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
When or have they yet started this? I was just there three weeks ago and they never mentioned this. At least not in Bimini where I usually check in.

Just out of curiosity because I don't think it's been discussed on CF before. How many people that go over there for a short visit always check in and really pay the fees? I know the rules and the supposed punishment. But I see, especially amoung power boaters who jus anchor out, those that just don't bother. I think it's far more prevalent in Bimini than else where but I was just curious if anybody would fess up.
More than likely you did not exceed the three person limit so they did not need to tell you. If you go to the Bahamas and not touch shore you do not need to clear in. If you are fishing you must and the fines are heavy and your boat is confiscated if you get caught. We know of no cruisers that go to the Bahamas and don't check in. It is a pretty risky situation. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:25   #7

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post

I'd be curious to see if anyone would admit to doing something illegal on an international forum.
Officals may be dumb but they ain't stupid. They do have computers and they can read.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 13:42   #8

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
I think the duty is for importing the boat and registering it in the Bahamas. If you just want to keep it in the Bahamas for more than one year there's a fee of five hundred dollars per year. You can do this for three years.
Yep, that's my understanding as well. I decided to suck up the $500 annually instead of paying the import duty as a result of the increase.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:53   #9

Re: Bahamas Clearance Changes

what is the best outboard in 9.9 to 15 HP range for all around service in the bahamas
hcharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 13:01   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, hcharles.

OMC’s (Johnson/Evinrude) used to be popular, but Yamaha has taken over in the Bahamas.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 14:09   #11

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcharles View Post
what is the best outboard in 9.9 to 15 HP range for all around service in the bahamas
Gets my vote for best attempted thread highjack of the week!!

Old 03-04-2011, 08:32   #12

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

If you're in the Abacos, there is a Johnson/Evinrude dealer/repair shop on the water in Marsh Harbour. They did some work on my 2.3 in 2009 and I was very pleased with the service. I pulled right up to their dock in my dinghy and handed my outboard to them. There is also a Yamaha outboards dealer in Marsh Harbour, but I don't think they're on the water.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:54   #13

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I wonder how many people pay the departure tax? Last time I was there it seemed like just about everybody leaving for the USA just left, and didn't bother with clearing out.

Tags
Bahamas