Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2016, 06:28   #1

Boat: Beneteau OC 41
Bahamas Check-In Ports

Any suggestions as to best check-in port in the Bahamas? Will have dog and plan an extended stay. I've checked out the Explorer Charts site and found a number of recommendations, but thought I'd check with you guys too.
robgrant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2016, 17:24   #2

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Re: Bahamas Check-In Ports

Well, if you're coming from Europe San Salvador might be good.
You may want to give us some more info if that doesn't suit lol.
Old 19-01-2016, 17:30   #3

Boat: C&C 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgrant1 View Post
Any suggestions as to best check-in port in the Bahamas? Will have dog and plan an extended stay. I've checked out the Explorer Charts site and found a number of recommendations, but thought I'd check with you guys too.
Seriously - from the west or east?

John
Paws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2016, 17:45   #4

We checked in at Bimini and they only gave us 30 days. I was kind of annoyed. I talked to several other people who had the same problem. If you are Canadian or American, you can seemingly always get your 8 months, but it is a pain having to be at an office 30 days after arriving.

We got our first extension in Nassau and our second in Georgetown. Had no problems and no wait in Georgetown. In Nassau we went to the cruise terminal first, but they said they do not process renewals there, so we had to go to the main office. There was a long line there, which we skipped, but it probably would have been 2 hours if we did not get hooked up. No problems once we saw the officer there.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2016, 18:14   #5

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
We checked in at Bimini and they only gave us 30 days. I was kind of annoyed. I talked to several other people who had the same problem. If you are Canadian or American, you can seemingly always get your 8 months, but it is a pain having to be at an office 30 days after arriving.

We got our first extension in Nassau and our second in Georgetown. Had no problems and no wait in Georgetown. In Nassau we went to the cruise terminal first, but they said they do not process renewals there, so we had to go to the main office. There was a long line there, which we skipped, but it probably would have been 2 hours if we did not get hooked up. No problems once we saw the officer there.
===

One of our favorite places to clear in is the Nassau Harbour Club Marina. They have a special relationship with customs and immigration. Everyone comes right to your boat and the process is very quick, efficient and friendly in our experience. There is a large shopping center right across the street so it's a good place to provision, and also a good jumping off spot for the northern Exumas. Some security issues have been reported but that is true everywhere in Nassau. Maintain situational awareness and keep things well locked.

We also had a good experience checking in at North Cat Cay south of Bimini. It is a private club so they charged us $100 for docking. It was worth it however since the club has their own customs office right at the head of the dock and we were given a 6 month permit with no issues at all.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 03:53   #6

Thanks RainDog. I think we're leaning towards jumping off at Miami and checking in at West End.
Old 20-01-2016, 04:20   #7

We haven't ruled out Bimini or Cat Cay. Given the dog on board, we're leaning towards checking in closer to FL. and as you say, the stories you hear about Nassau are somewhat off-putting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne.b View Post
===

One of our favorite places to clear in is the Nassau Harbour Club Marina. They have a special relationship with customs and immigration. Everyone comes right to your boat and the process is very quick, efficient and friendly in our experience. There is a large shopping center right across the street so it's a good place to provision, and also a good jumping off spot for the northern Exumas. Some security issues have been reported but that is true everywhere in Nassau. Maintain situational awareness and keep things well locked.

We also had a good experience checking in at North Cat Cay south of Bimini. It is a private club so they charged us $100 for docking. It was worth it however since the club has their own customs office right at the head of the dock and we were given a 6 month permit with no issues at all.
Old 20-01-2016, 05:25   #8

Boat: Saugeen Witch, Colvin design vessel name: Witchcraft

We had a good experience checking in at West End...after three months we received our extension at Govenors Harbour , also a good experience. Many I know clear in at Green Turtle Cay. I have witnessed people clearing in at the marina mentioned in a previous post in Nassau and it seemed a painless process.
witchcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 05:56   #9

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

Cleared in at both Green Turtle (New Plymouth pick up a mooring in Black Sound) and Nassau (Yacht Haven Marina). Both were without issues and no extra fees.
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 06:05   #10

Florida.
Old 20-01-2016, 06:13   #11

Florida, probably Miami.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Well, if you're coming from Europe San Salvador might be good.
You may want to give us some more info if that doesn't suit lol.
Old 20-01-2016, 06:14   #12

West.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paws View Post
Seriously - from the west or east?

John
Old 20-01-2016, 10:11   #13

Boat: Nordhavn 50

Very easy check in at Great Harbour Cay Marina, right at the end of the dock. Bimini is easy, and so is West End, GB. At west end you tie up to the fuel dock and the customs office is 2 steps away. No matter where you go, if your papers are in order and you are friendly, no problems.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Capt.Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 20:10   #14

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

I usually check in at Bimini.

We reward ourselves for actually going someplace with a night at the Big Game Club Marina, which is where Customs is located, and Immigration is right down the street. Or the other way around, I don't remember.

I've also checked in at Cat Cay and Chub Cay, both of which are nice but expensive.
I typically stop in Nassau on the way south for fuel, provisions, etc. and usually stay at Nassau Harbor Club or sometimes Yacht Haven. I've also stayed at Hurricane Hole Marina and at Atlantis. Everything in Nassau is expensive.

Bahamas C&I will come to your boat at both Nassau Harbor Club and Yacht Haven, and probably the other marinas in Nassau. That is for clearing in purposes, not extensions.

Nassau Harbor Club is convenient to a good grocery store, drugstore, booze store, and even a Starbucks complete with wi-fi. And a Dominos Pizza lol.
Yacht Haven is convenient to the Poop Deck restaurant/bar. Yacht Haven gets my award for lowest water pressure in the showers I've ever seen.

Marine supplies/parts are in between the two (1/2 a mile from Nassau Harbor Club to Yacht Haven?)

It's all worth while when you get to Shroud Cay, drop the hook, and decompress.

Have a great time.
Old 21-01-2016, 04:15   #15

Thanks Mike.

Tags
Bahamas, ports