Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2009, 17:17   #1

Boat: Lagoon 37
Bahamas Amends Rule on Parts Duty

Bahamas - Good News if Importing Spare Parts

Created by sue. Last modified on 2009-06-18 16:48:58
Countries: Bahamas

As reported on Sail-World.com
From BahamasExplorer Yahoo Group
Posted by Sara Lewis

Today, June 16, 2009, I spoke with the Chief Customs Officer, Mr. Ralph Munroe, who explained the current status of duty on spare parts for cruising boaters.
An amendment was recently passed to the Tariff Act stating that those cruising visitors with a valid Bahamas Temporary Cruising Permit are allowed to import boat repair/replacement parts DUTY FREE.
In addition, the original exemption on printed matter and original artwork has been reinstated.
Mr. Munroe stated that all local Customs Officers have been informed of this. If you find anything to the contrary, call Bahamas Entry Checking in Nassau at 242-302-3509 to get assistance."
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:13   #2

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
That is wonderful news. Now instead of paying 400% for your part you only pay 200%. Normally, except in major Bahamas boat harbors like Nassau or Marsh Harbor, you have to have the part flown in from Florida with the cost of air freight, taxi to the airport to get the part and fees for clearing in your part added to the cost of the part. They may have eliminated the "duty" on the "part" - but even countries with "Boat in Transit" allowance still charge "duty" on the cost of transportation to get the part to you.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 08:23   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I had parts brought into Georgetowm with my brother. He had a copy of my cruiser's permit with him, and they just shuttled him though. That was in 06........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 20:20   #4

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Actually all over the Caribbean and Central/South America that is the preferred and easiest way to reliably get parts delivered - have a relative or friend or somebody pack them in their suitcases and bring them down. When I was in the Dominican Republic many years ago I needed a new heat exchanger (US$400+) and it was cheaper and more reliable to purchase a ticket for a friend and have him pack it down in his suitcase. Airport officials are more lenient and even conducive to minor "tips" to allow you to bring in just about anything. And the best part is the part does not get lost in the mail/shipping system or get lost in the storage room of the customs house. You will find that experienced cruisers generally fly home with a single backpack of clothes, etc. and magically return to their boats with a full 6 pieces set of luggage with the same amount of clothes and the rest of the space filled with boat parts. It happens so often it is a "standing joke".
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas