Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2013, 12:23   #31

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Bad Form On Mooring Etiquette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Yepper Paul. No one has a problem with #1. I haven't seen an example of #2 but would welcome it. Alas it's a # 3 world and caused by the few ... but not the proud.
Well, one example of #2 is Port Vila, Vanuatu, where the preferred anchorage (between Irririki (sp?) Island and the town ranges around 100-125 feet in depth. ONe of the few places where we will pay for a mooring.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 16-12-2013, 07:00   #32

Boat: Tayana 47
Re: Bad Form On Mooring Etiquette

I completely agree with the OP about people using moorings they haven't paid for, it's sleazy and basically stealing IMHO.

I prefer to anchor out rather than use a strange mooring here in Maine, but don't share that same concern in the Bahamas where the water is warm enough to swim, very clear, and usually (much) less than 20' deep. It's pretty easy to ascertain the condition of a mooring and chain if you have any doubts, unless of course you arrive after nightfall.

I've spent the night at fuel docks countless times and while it's nice to save a little time not having to up-anchor and drive into the dock first thing in the morning, it's not because I'm trying to be a cheapskate. Usually it's during a delivery when I know I'll be late arriving at a harbor so I call ahead to tell them I might not make it by closing time and they almost always tell me to just tie up to the fuel dock and they'll get me first thing in the mooring. Another circumstance where I occasionally stay overnight at the dock is in my local harbor (where I pay to keep my dinghy and park my car and use the fuel/water/pumpout dock) because I know they are busy during the day with tran$ient$ so I wait until after closing so I can take my time and fill up with water and wash off the salt without occupying the space when a paying customer might use it. Then, when the dock boy arrives in the morning, he can top off my fuel tanks and I'm off the dock without delaying anyone else who might want to use it. I do this as a courtesy to other boaters and to the marina owners and they have told me they appreciate me waiting until after normal business hours to use the dock. If people are really using the fuel dock to avoid paying for a slip, then I do agree that is wrong, but sometimes things are not quite as they appear....
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mooring