Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 17:54   #16

Boat: O'Day 28
Re: Bad Form On Mooring Etiquette

Sail boaters.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2013, 07:19   #17

Boat: Islander Freport 41

Sounds like a lot of too many boats in too little space. I am in a beautiful protected anchorage in Panama, must be at least a half mile square, two other boats a couple of hundred meters away. $195 a year for a Panama cruiseing permit and hundreds so spots to anchor in the archipelago.
garyosborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 12:08   #18

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
I'd be looking for a space in their parking lot. Not a room.

I know this seems like a simple analogy but here in the islands 99% of the fuel docks (not very many of them at that) are built and paid for by taxpayers like myself and not commercial marinas nor are they like motel parking lots. The fueling portion is done by a commercial concern but I wouldn't be stealing fuel. So I've dealt with docks that are paid for by taxpayers like myself and are sometimes deserted after the gates are locked.

I don't consider myself a thief or even a dishonest person but maybe I am.
1) Ask any hotel how they feel about your sleeping in their parking lot rather than paying for a room.

2) Go down to your local fuel dock during the day and ask the boss how he/she feels about your tying up for the night without paying.
Old 14-12-2013, 14:50   #19

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
1) Ask any hotel how they feel about your sleeping in their parking lot rather than paying for a room.

2) Go down to your local fuel dock during the day and ask the boss how he/she feels about your tying up for the night without paying.
1)I won't go to hotel but I'll go to the local state park where rooms are rented out by a commercial concern and see if its ok to park an RV in their lot to catch a couple hours of rest. WalMart is Ok with it in many localities.

2)I'll do as you suggest except its awfully hard to do if you don't arrive in the port until after their closed and there is no number there to call. If there is a sign prohibiting it I'll go elsewhere.

Really pointless to argue this. Each of us has different experiences and lives in a different place where rules and cultures are different. I'm not trying to steal something. I'm just trying to explain that in some circumstances it is ok. I especially think its ok if its state property and I pay state taxes and boat registration and a state mooring or docking fee.
Old 14-12-2013, 15:09   #20

Boat: 1978 Prout Quest 31

The state taxes don't exactly cover all the frieght,. That is why they charge.
tybee22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 16:44   #21

Boat: catalina 400 MKII

All marinas have expenses. They charge money to pay the bills. They charge for overnight use. This is equally true in public and private marinas. If you're not sure, call on the phone and ask them.
scotty c-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 07:52   #22

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubikoop View Post
I know of a place that the security guard gets paid a "bounty" to lock boats to the dock that come in after hours. That process was the direct result of people trying to avoid paying.
That would irritate me. I often get in overnight on a delivery and tie up to a fuel dock to get some sleep and wait for them to open in the morning so I can buy fuel and water. No one has ever locked a boat I was delivering to the dock. A few places have asked for a nights transient docking (which is fine) but most are happy to see me. Some of the places I go through regularly comp me a few hours in a slip to get everyone rested or do some supplemental provisioning ("Do you have any Grey Poupon?" *grin*).

I would be similarly irritated to learn that the boats on a fuel dock that caused me to anchor out were scamming a free night and disappeared before the staff showed up. That is just rude.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 09:41   #23

And this is why many sailboaters have a stigma called cheap. Many are good but there is always that handful.
C Skip R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 10:03   #24

Boat: islandpacket
Don't just blame sailboaters I see plenty of power boats come in late and leave early without waiting around for staff
Old 15-12-2013, 10:26   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badsanta View Post
Don't just blame sailboaters I see plenty of power boats come in late and leave early without waiting around for staff
Your right although 90% of those people I see on mooring balls are sailboaters. Even had sailboaters come into a Bahama marina late at night to help themselves to fresh water.
C Skip R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 10:31   #26

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
That would irritate me. I often get in overnight on a delivery and tie up to a fuel dock to get some sleep and wait for them to open in the morning so I can buy fuel and water. No one has ever locked a boat I was delivering to the dock. A few places have asked for a nights transient docking (which is fine) but most are happy to see me. Some of the places I go through regularly comp me a few hours in a slip to get everyone rested or do some supplemental provisioning ("Do you have any Grey Poupon?" *grin*).

I would be similarly irritated to learn that the boats on a fuel dock that caused me to anchor out were scamming a free night and disappeared before the staff showed up. That is just rude.
I think you've got it.
Old 15-12-2013, 10:35   #27

Boat: Outbound 44

Mooring seem to serve a few purposes
1. Protect the bottom from anchors
2. Allow for anchoring in areas that are too deep for easy anchoring
3. Make money for the mooring owners

The number 3 type mooring field doesn't get a ton of sympathy from me. Not because I don't like to see a small business successful, but because they often take up all the decent anchoring space, leaving nowhere to anchor for those that prefer. If they don't get paid for every use, oh well.
Old 15-12-2013, 10:41   #28

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Bad Form On Mooring Etiquette

Yepper Paul. No one has a problem with #1. I haven't seen an example of #2 but would welcome it. Alas it's a # 3 world and caused by the few ... but not the proud.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 11:57   #29

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

sounds like a fun place, cant wait to visit. I guess in America you get used to having to pay for everything, who needs generosity anyway. (yeah, yeah, bahamas aint america...blah blah)
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 12:08   #30

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Skip R View Post
Your right although 90% of those people I see on mooring balls are sailboaters.
In reference to those skipping out paying mooring fees, seems to be a frequent practice when mooring in Ayala Cover, Angel Island. (Arrive after and leave before the state park's "open hours.")

Tags
mooring