Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2010, 19:30   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
Atlantic Sea Mounts

How do you locate the Atlantic seamounts. It seems to me it would be valuable to know where they are so that if you get caught in a storm you would be able to avoid them because of breaking waves etc.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 19:33   #2

Charts?
dpons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 19:44   #3

If you're caught in them, it's kind of too late.
Old 14-09-2010, 19:56   #4

Boat: Sceptre 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpons View Post
Charts?
Do they have charts that have enough detail for each section of the ocean. I guess they do but I don't know that I could afford them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healer52 View Post
If you're caught in them, it's kind of too late.
The idea would be to avoid them. Hard to do that if you don't know where they are.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 20:22   #5
Eternal Member

Boat: CS36T, 36'
Try:

Atlantic Seamounts

Has some Lat/Long info.

Margo

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Groucho Marx
flysci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 20:31   #6

The small scale (1:3,500,000 for example) planning charts a designed to show everything shoal, no matter how small, with at least a dot of ink. At least that's what I understood from somewhere. So no need for the large scale charts in many cases.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 20:36   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Do we have a geologist around here to tell us how often things change? I hear the big earthquake in Sumatra changed some of the depth for seamounts...
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 20:47   #8

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
The main danger sea mounts is not the ones you know are there, since you can avoid them, but the ones that have never been charted.
Old 14-09-2010, 23:12   #10
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
How do you locate the Atlantic seamounts. It seems to me it would be valuable to know where they are so that if you get caught in a storm you would be able to avoid them because of breaking waves etc.
I've just pulled out imray north atlantic passage chart and basically there aren't many. The biggest ones are above the water - Azores, bermuda and canarys A few SSW of Azores, they seem all to be on the chart and have names. The rest looks like over 4000m of water under the keel. But the logic is probably sound, I would avoid them even in calm weather.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 23:36   #11

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
Quote:
Do we have a geologist around here to tell us how often things change? I hear the big earthquake in Sumatra changed some of the depth for seamounts...
Usually with a sea mount, if an major earthquake strikes near one, the most usual change in depth would be caused by the collapse of one side or slope to the mount and this could cause a reduction in the height of the sea mount. It would also tend to spawn a tsunami.

Most sea mounts are in relatively deep water and it is unlikely that a yacht would actually run onto one, though not entirely impossible. There have been several vessels damaged by striking a shallow, uncharted sea mount, including the USS San Francisco (2005) and the SS Muirfield (1973).

There are an estimated 100,000 sea mounts, and only a fraction of them have been charted--about 13,000. Being volcanoes for the most part, sea mounts can grow, eventually some of them becoming proper islands.
Old 15-09-2010, 01:08   #12

Boat: Shuttleworth 31
interesting paper

Check this out:

www.tos.org/oceanography/issues/issue_archive/issue_pdfs/23_1/23-1_sandwell.pdf

"more than 50% of the seafloor lies more than 9.5 km from the nearest ship sounding"
elhix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 04:03   #13

Quote:
Do they have charts that have enough detail for each section of the ocean. I guess they do but I don't know that I could afford them all

The idea would be to avoid them. Hard to do that if you don't know where they are.
Sailing is a very fulfilling activity with some risks. If you don't use charts, you increase the risk. Yet even if you use them, you can't eliminate all risks.

Even if you had a map with all the idiots in your town, you'll be taking some risks crossing a street.

The pic is of a very small island in the middle of the Atlantic, Peter and Paul Rocks. Note the absence of mega waves.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	peterandpaul.png
Views:	537
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	19238  
dpons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 05:13   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Google Earth might be another way to get a start. It would let you find the significant features in your area of interest pretty quickly.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 05:24   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
How do you locate the Atlantic seamounts.
The 'normal tool' is a small scale (eg whole ocean) B&W chart - does not cost much and shows the sea mount detail you need.

The most 'dangerous' Atlantic seamount is in the South Atlantic, right on the direct route beteen CApe Town and St. Helena. It's worth detoyring around - comes to within about 20m of the surface if I remember correctly (on the 'walvis ridge')

There is a neat tool at http://seamounts.sdsc.edu/ where you can locate seamounts by ocean and depth.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote