Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2009, 14:29   #1

Atlantic Crossing in January: Feasible? (Cape Verde to Caribbean)

Hi all!

I am coordinating a sailing expedition and we have been reconsidering our schedule for the atlantic crossing from Cape Verde to the Caribbean (Barbados or thereabouts)

From what I have been reading, people "usualy" try to leave mid-October to mid-November for such a crossing. However, I wonder if the beginning of January would still be OK? We've checked the Atlantic Pilot Atlas (by J.Clarke) and winds, currents still look good.

Do you see any major problems to cross in January 2010? This will be on a reinforced and well equipped 42ft Bavaria sailing yacht.

All advice welcome!

Tom
tomw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2009, 15:47   #2

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Hi tomw , i delivery last year a brand new lagoon 38 from Sables d olone to Martinique in december january, no problem from Cape Verde in January, maybe you find the trades a litle bit stronger , my be not, anyway , no problem at all. Cheers.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2009, 16:43   #3

Boat: Oyster 485
Send a message via Skype™ to sobriyah
Hi Tom, some people consider this the best time to cross. The trades will usually be well established by then, and there is less chance of running into a late storm.
sobriyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2009, 15:22   #4

Thanks all for the advice, reassuring words and general positive vibes :-).

Cheers,
Tom
tomw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2009, 05:19   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Atlas of Pilot Charts - North Atlantic Ocean

January ➥
http://www.nga.mil/MSISiteContent/St...106/106jan.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2009, 17:36   #6

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomw View Post

From what I have been reading, people "usualy" try to leave mid-October to mid-November for such a crossing. However, I wonder if the beginning of January would still be OK? We've checked the Atlantic Pilot Atlas (by J.Clarke) and winds, currents still look good.
Hi, this is a common misunderstanding caused by (the ARC?).

Actually, the later you go the better your chances for good trade winds.

January is perfectly OK, and my own pick would be March to June (which, off course, makes your hurricane-trouble-free stay in the West Indies considerably shorter).

If you want more info, you can contact me by a private msg.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:56   #7

Boat: Atlantic Rowing Racer
Morrocan Coast

Hei Guys
I intend to row the Atlantic - Starting from Gibraltar and finishing in Antigua.
My departure is tentatively planned for the last week in January, beginning of February (second day after a levante winds starts blowing).
One of my concerns is my route down the Moroccan coast: I’m not sure how far, near I should track. I understand that the lee shore winds can be quite strong. I also understand that there is a Southerly current I could benefit at around 10nm from the shore. I haven’t planned on taking a sea anchor only my para-anchor and drogue, but maybe it may be a good idea to a marine anchor and if so what weight?
Thank you

Sig
GibViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:57   #8

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GibViking View Post
Hei Guys
I intend to row the Atlantic - Starting from Gibraltar and finishing in Antigua.
My departure is tentatively planned for the last week in January, beginning of February (second day after a levante winds starts blowing).
One of my concerns is my route down the Moroccan coast: I’m not sure how far, near I should track. I understand that the lee shore winds can be quite strong. I also understand that there is a Southerly current I could benefit at around 10nm from the shore. I haven’t planned on taking a sea anchor only my para-anchor and drogue, but maybe it may be a good idea to a marine anchor and if so what weight?
Thank you

Sig
Hi, Gib, Just wacht the weather carefully , if i remember , in one of my last trips from Almeria to Las Palmas ,whe cacht a strong south westerly close to the Moroccan coast , and is not a nice lee shore, my advice is stay a bit far , Cheers.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:01   #9
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
or you could cruise the coast and see the sights as you go until your ready to cross
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:54   #10

Boat: Atlantic Rowing Racer
thanks for your replies.
any ideas on the size of the anchor I'd have to use. I was thinking of a 5Kg fluke with 5m of chain and 20m of rode
has anyone sailed out of the straits of Gibraltar. what was your experience?
cheers
Sig
GibViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:19   #11

Boat: Oyster 485
Send a message via Skype™ to sobriyah
Have you looked up : Home - Ocean Rowing - Woodvale-Challenge Rowing the Atlantic and Indian Oceans They organise biennial Atlantic rowing races and must have a wealth of information. I was in Antigua 2007/2008 when some of the rowers finished. They all looked glad to have made it.
sobriyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 13:24   #12

Re: Atlantic Crossing in January: Feasible? (Cape Verde to Caribbean)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomw View Post
Hi all!

I am coordinating a sailing expedition and we have been reconsidering our schedule for the atlantic crossing from Cape Verde to the Caribbean (Barbados or thereabouts)

Do you see any major problems to cross in January 2010? This will be on a reinforced and well equipped 42ft Bavaria sailing yacht.

All advice welcome!

Tom
Hi Tom, I may be a crew member that is delivering a sail boat 44 ft Baviaria from the Europe to Cape Verde sometime in Nov/Dec 2011.. AND I will be looking for a way back to the USA. IF you need crew, please let me know. Andrea you can contact me directly at cowgirlcapital@att.net.
amcgilvray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 14:06   #13

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft
Re: Atlantic Crossing in January: Feasible? (Cape Verde to Caribbean)

I think this post is a couple years old...

However, since you revived it, did you make your crossing, Tom?
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atlantic crossing, Cape Verde, Caribbean