Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 26-12-2014, 15:02   #1

Atlanta??

Does anyone live in Atlanta and have a sailboat on the ocean? If so, where? Hilton Head, Savannah??

What is the drive like in the summer?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 26-12-2014, 18:31   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Re: Atlanta??

When I used to live on St. Simons Island there were a number of folk from Atlanta who kept their boats at Golden Isles Marina.
A newer option is Brunswick Landing Marina in Brunswick.
Can't remember the driving time, but we used to take off from St. Simons and drive to "Hotlanta" for Friday night and Saturday night and return on Sunday afternoon. Maybe 6 hours +/- one way.

Old 29-12-2014, 10:53   #3

Boat: Beneteau 473 TraSea

I live in Atlanta and keep my Beneteau 473 in Pensacola Fl. We looked at multiple places on the Georgia/SouthCarolina coast. From a travel time perspective as well as marina cost and sailing. We find the Gulf Coast better.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 29-12-2014, 11:25   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

The drive from hotlanta to Savannah on I-16 is the second most boring drive in the country. I've done it way too many times. Only topped by the lovely Loooong drive through Kansas.

I would seriously consider traveling to the gulf coast, if I had to live in Atlanta.
Old 29-12-2014, 18:09   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
The drive from hotlanta to Savannah on I-16 is the second most boring drive in the country. I've done it way too many times. Only topped by the lovely Loooong drive through Kansas.
----
Lol. I'll have to take your word for it about Kansas, but I-16 is seriously boring.
Old 29-12-2014, 18:33   #6
sitting on the dock of the bay

Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

yes I-16 is boring but easy. I-75 on the other hand can be white knuckle. and there is at least one trap along that route too. we got a ticket for not pulling over when a cop was parked on the side of the road while we were being blocked by trucks .. 500 bucks. i like the gulf side for sailing and ease of access.
Old 29-12-2014, 18:38   #7

Boat: Island Packet 32 Cbreeze

All things being equal the tide range would for me be a serious tie breaker. SC, GA many feet, GC measured in inches.

Few 50 ft fixed ICW bridges around here so keeps the 2ft itis under control if you are into ICW operations.
Old 29-12-2014, 18:42   #8

Boat: Allied Seawind II #103
Send a message via Skype™ to stevec195

There is always Apalachicola. Some constraints on depth for a quick shot to the gulf. But something to consider. Lovely place to drop out.

Old 03-01-2015, 19:15   #9

Boat: Seawind - 1160

I would consider Charleston, SC. It is only a 5 a 51/2 hour drive and more scenic. Plus Charleston is a great town with many Marina options. Tide there is only about 3 feet.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 06-01-2015, 17:52   #10

Charleston is great but Marina prices are steep. The Gulf Coast is about the same drive with more sailing opportunities.

Old 18-01-2015, 08:57   #11

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015
Atlanta??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayzach View Post
I live in Atlanta and keep my Beneteau 473 in Pensacola Fl. We looked at multiple places on the Georgia/SouthCarolina coast. From a travel time perspective as well as marina cost and sailing. We find the Gulf Coast better.

Destin is a good place. Proximity to Santa Rosa Sound where you enjoy protected water sailing around Gulf Islands National Seashore.

But it's six hours to the coast...

Reconsider Lake Lanier in Atlanta's backyard. It's not an ocean but it's big and accessible.
Old 19-01-2015, 12:28   #12

Destin is great as long as your mast is shorter than 50 feet. Ours is 62. The Destin pass bridge is 50 at best. The next bridge west in the ICW is Navarre at 50 feet also. Therefore to get into the gulf you have to go to Panama City.

Old 19-01-2015, 13:18   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

From the sailing perspective PC is better, but it is not nearly as upscale as Destin if that was what you wanted, PC is cheaper though and the bridge makes Destin un-doable for me. I have 50' mast and have been told don't even try, not even at low tide.

Course if your shorter than 50' then no problem
Old 19-01-2015, 13:53   #14

Boat: 50' sloop

Hi NYC Sailor,

We began our search with Charleston, but eliminated it, due to its indirect travel route from Atlanta. I think (this was 14 years ago :0 ) it was seven hour drive, which was a deal breaker. The Gulf was never considered as our goals were Atlantic coastal cruising and Bahamas/Caribbean exploring.

We kept our boat in Savannah for two years on the Wilmington River. The drive from Atlanta was four hours (including fuel stop/meal ). Easy drive - primarily interstate and fuel/food convenient. We actually enjoyed the easy drive across I-16 year round. Our boat has 6.5 draft, motoring to/from ocean required that we "time our activities with the tides" which became restrictive after a time.

We again traveled SC, GA, and northern FL coast to find a more suitable location.

We eventually added another an hour to our drive for an easier exit to the Atlantic at St. Simons Island, GA. Golden Isles Marina is convenient and provides professional knowledgeable staff. West Marine is an easy drive while St. Simons Island offers numerous restaurants and hardware stores. The small airports (Brunswick and St. Simons Island) plus Jacksonville's larger airport 50 miles south were nice attributes.

Thus, from north side of Atlanta (south end of 400 to Golden Isles Marina)-305 miles) five hours of easy travel when timed well for traffic leaving - arriving Atlanta. (includes fuel/meal stop)

It really depends on your preferences. Recommend investing time to drive to/from each city under consideration to best determine what would work for you.

Best wishes, Sailing Mermaid
Old 19-01-2015, 16:08   #15

Boat: Island Packet 32 Cbreeze

Normally 49' will not clear in Destin, 50' will probably clear Brooks Bridge in Ft Walton (if you miss the nav lights), and 50'+ at Navarre if you go two spans to the south of center and keep close to the support. The bottom of the center span really is lower.

I sailed these waters a lot of years with a 49' mast and the VHF antenna caught hell on the bridge girders. Fractional rig, so I mounted my wind instrument on the front of the mast 2' from the tip.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: