Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2011, 16:56   #1

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Armed Robbery in Tyrrel bay Carriacou

Bad news.. Hope this couple is ok!!
Noonsite: Caribbean, Carriacou: Armed Robbery in Tyrrel Bay
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2011, 17:55   #2

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Re: Armed Robbery in Tyrrel bay Carriacou

It will be interesting to hear if the local constables do anything, they do not have a very good record. I had a brand new 15hp outboard (under 10 hours) stolen there on the same night that 3 others had their outboard motors stolen. The local officials were not interested in doing anything and even resisted allowing a report to be filed.
- - The Caribbean Security Net's motto of "Lock it or lose it" as to dinghy theft is a wise recommendation everywhere in the Caribbean.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2011, 18:42   #3
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Gee, that used to be our hang out spot. The worst that could happen then was the Turtle Dove running out of ansjovis for my pizza!

If they start robbing cruisers like this, cruisers will start reporting their smuggling activities I reckon....

cheers,
Nick.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2011, 19:23   #4

I think you mean the "Lazy Turtle" which is my favorite in Tyrrel Bay. Especially their "lobster pizza." Lazy Turtle Pizzeria, Tyrrel Bay, Carriacou - Who we are
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lt_19.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	34811  
Old 16-12-2011, 05:14   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail
I think you mean the "Lazy Turtle" which is my favorite in Tyrrel Bay. Especially their "lobster pizza." Lazy Turtle Pizzeria, Tyrrel Bay, Carriacou - Who we are
No, I think we were there a couple years before... the Turtle Dove we knew was run by two Italian girls so the real thing :-)

Google still finds some refs: http://www.google.com/search?q=turtle+dove+carriacou
We used to bring our own ansjovis

ciao!
Nick.

Old 17-12-2011, 18:48   #6

I noticed the Turtle Dove listings but do not remember ever personally seeing an active operation in the last couple of years.
- - Things in and around Tyrrel Bay are pretty sparse compared to 6 years ago. There are several really small "local's" eateries but few if any customers. With the down trend in boats arriving and staying the anchorage is nice and you can get some choice spots that years ago were almost always permanently taken.
- - Even downtown Hillsborough is getting sparse with many shops and restaurants closed down.
- - If the world economy ever rebounds hopefully more places will re-open.
Old 18-12-2011, 05:18   #7

I would like to provide you with an update on this incident, the reaction of the local community and the response of the local police in the hope of reassuring cruisers about the beautiful and peaceful island of Carriacou.

On Friday the police arrested and charged 4 persons with this incident. These persons are currently being held in the cells in Hillsborough Police Station awaiting due process. The police have dealt with this incident in a most serious and professional manner. They fully understand the concerns of not only the visiting cruisers but also the local community in Tyrell Bay and the rest of Carriacou. The police in Carriacou take their job to serve and protect everyone on the island, whether local or visitor, very seriously and work tirelessly with the local community to ensure that Carriacou remains peaceful and free of crime. Those few isolated incidents which happen and which could have a potentially devastating effect are dealt with swiftly and seriously.

The local community is shocked and saddened at this crime. Carriacou is known for it's friendly people and everyone who has visited knows that the local community welcomes all visitors with open arms. They would also know that the incident which happened is very unusual and out of character for Carriacou. It is mainly thanks to the attitude of the local community that many cruisers return to Carriacou year after year and some even choose to leave their boats and move to land here.

The Grenada Board of Tourism is currently working on increasing tourism to the island and yachting is a main focus of the new strategy. This incident is being taken so seriously that the Director of Tourism took time out of his busy schedule to attend a recent meeting about this incident. The meeting was held on Saturday 17 December in Tyrell Bay between visiting cruisers and other visitors, the community, the police (including the Inspector of Police and several Sergeants) and the Director of Tourism. The meeting was to update the community and reassure visitors that the incident is being addressed and show support to those who may, understandably, be feeling nervous.

Carriacou is and will always remain unspoilt, peaceful, beautiful and I not only speak about the island but her people also. The incident that happened is the equivalent of the one bad apple in the sack. That has now being removed and the rest of the apples remain for all to enjoy.

I hope this is useful information for all who read.
kasjojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 05:41   #8
TEE

Angry Re: Armed Robbery in Tyrrel bay Carriacou

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
I noticed the Turtle Dove listings but do not remember ever personally seeing an active operation in the last couple of years.
- - Things in and around Tyrrel Bay are pretty sparse compared to 6 years ago. There are several really small "local's" eateries but few if any customers. With the down trend in boats arriving and staying the anchorage is nice and you can get some choice spots that years ago were almost always permanently taken.
- - Even downtown Hillsborough is getting sparse with many shops and restaurants closed down.
- - If the world economy ever rebounds hopefully more places will re-open.
On the other hand if they continue mugging cruisers, it is going to get more sparse, maybe empty. They had a break out of crime a few years ago down in the region and I thought they were getting it under control. I am always baffled by countries that depend heavily on tourism as a profit center and don't do anything to protect their income.
TEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 06:04   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasjojo
I hope this is useful information for all who read.
Some of it is and some of it shows you have an interest in visiting cruisers or on how Carriacou is perceived. I love the island like so many others, just like you describe, but I also know that your description of the local police is different from reality. Anyhow, it doesn't really matter what or who pushed them into action; it's the results that count, so well done!

cheers,
Nick.

Old 18-12-2011, 06:16   #10

Kasjojo - - A very "glowing" advertisement for one of my favorite anchorages/islands - but unfortunately a bit too sugar coated and divorced from reality.

- - Virtually all the Caribbean islands and specifically the eastern islands are either getting increasingly dangerous to you and your possessions - or - the reporting systems are getting better. I would go with the former as the world economic collapse has left a lot of local islands without jobs and the means to feed their families. So logically the incidents of petty and more major crimes rises.

- - Carriacou and specifically Tyrrell Bay has been notorious for periodic petty and major thefts of dinghy motors and other stuff cruisers do not adequately lock or store away. Bequia is worse, but Tyrrell Bay is holding its own in the ranks of thievery from visiting cruisers. See: WINDWARDISLANDS and for Bequia: most recent

- - The last major Grenada physical attack against visiting cruisers was in Mt Hartman Bay, Grenada (Carriacou is part of Grenada). See: Noonsite: Caribbean: Grenada, Mt. Hartman Bay - Attack & Robbery 2009 - Update

- - It took a year and a half to catch and convict - one of the attackers. And it took multiple trips from Europe to Grenada by the victims - at their own expense - to assist in getting a conviction of the person.

- - Almost if not all of the eastern islands use the "western" system of justice and getting a conviction requires the presence and testimony of the victim at each and every court appearance. It is an old legal tactic to get "continuances" by the defense until the victim gives up or cannot afford to pursue the matter further. Then the accused goes free due to lack of witnesses/complainant. Fact of life in most everywhere in the western world.

- - Specifically to cruising foreign countries, hanging around for years to see "justice" done in your particular theft/case is not realistic. The cruiser(s) simply leave and write off the loss. The local law enforcement officials usually are not interested in pursuing crimes against cruisers as without a complaintant/witness they cannot get a conviction.

- - In physical assaults the officials are more interested as there is a direct correlation to the loss of business due to cruisers avoiding the area. So you will see all sorts of political figures posturing and professing "action" but beyond the "P.R." little is actually done unless the cruiser victim "pushes" the system.

- - Bottom line: There are some "rotten apples" in the barrel of idyllic island paradises. The percentage is, maybe, increasing due to economic conditions. And most importantly, it is extremely important that cruisers recognize the limitations of the criminal justice system in the islands. So each cruising boat needs to take reasonable and effective counter-measures to secure their boats and possessions (non-lethal counter-measures) now more than ever.
Old 19-12-2011, 10:08   #11

the lazy turtle is the old turtle dove it change 6 years ago ....
Lazy Turtle Pizzeria, Restaurant, Internet Cafe - Tyrrel Bay, Carriacou
lazy-turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 11:29   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy-turtle
the lazy turtle is the old turtle dove it change 6 years ago ....
Lazy Turtle Pizzeria, Restaurant, Internet Cafe - Tyrrel Bay, Carriacou
Ah great, I see my favorite meal is still on the menu: pizza, half marinara and half callaloo !

ciao!
Nick.

Tags
Carriacou