Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2011, 11:35   #1

Anything New in St. Kitts ?

I heard about a year ago that they had broken ground on a new marina, village, golf course etc. around Great Salt Pond on St Kits. It's supposed to be called Christophe Harbour. I was wondering if anyone has seen any development happening there. Or heard anything about it. I am sure that the sailing purists will be horrified by all the modern building but I, for one, think this will be a welcome new destination on what is (and will still be) a beautiful island. Sometimes it's nice to get back on the beaten track and enjoy a few mod cons.
luv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2011, 13:30   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Re: Anything New in St. Kitts ?

I don't get over to St Kitts very often (like it just fine here on Nevis!), but my impression is that the development process is proceeding, albeit slowly. They seemed to be focused on marketing and building out the Sandy Bank Bay residential villa area, which is on the Atlantic side. They've built a beach club and some villas there.

I haven't seen anything going on in the Great Salt Pond marina development area for quite a while, and I've heard a "rumor" that work on the golf course has stopped.

This is all anecdotal information, as I haven't really been following it closely.
Old 14-10-2011, 00:29   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Re: Anything New in St. Kitts ?

I anchored off White House Bay and walked/drove around the area. They are dredging the salt pond for the entrance channel for the future megayachts. As Hud mentioned, the villas and beach club on the east side exist and more houses are in the process of being built. The rest is still mainly preparatory construction and road preparation / grading. In March when I was there the only big activity was the 24x7 dredging (I gather you can't just stop a dredge or the pipeline contents solidify and block up) but even that was a bit anemic and the operators we spoke with stated that they were getting a bigger one in the future. Overall the project wasn't quite stalled but not moving along with high speed.