Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2012, 07:58   #1

Boat: Tayana FD-12
Any Advice on Provincetown, MA

i am considering spending few days in Provincetown over the labor day. I was wondering if anyone has some advice on anchoring, dinghy landing, etc. etc.
phorvati is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 08:26   #2

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
Re: Any advice on provincetown, MA

Been years since I was there last. I believe anchoring now involves a long dinghy ride. Places where we used to anchor are now filled with moorings. Others will have advanced info.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 08:42   #3
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Any Advice on Provincetown, MA

Provincetown launch has moorings, they are $55/night and includes launch service now. There are showers at the marina for a price. Fuel dock next to the marina launch dock (you can tie your dinghy up there is using the moorings but the launch normally runs 8am-11pm).
Call them on channel 9.

Flyers has mooring also, but I've never used and have heard mixed things about them.

There is water (for a price) and holding tank pump out at the short term dock between the wharfs.

There is a good area to anchor on the other side past the end of the breakwater in about 9-16' of hard pack bottom. Be sure to really set your anchor as I blew across the bay once a couple of years ago when a Gail blew though. If you anchor there there is a dinghy dock on that side of the wharf all the way around from the docks.

You can also anchor out in front of the breakwater area, which is pretty wide open and pretty calm in good weather, just makes a longer dinghy ride.

There is another anchoring area over by the beach next to Longpoint. It is a pretty far dinghy ride in from there of a mile plus. It's nice there though and has a ton of room. Some say there is a 15' foot section to anchor in, but to me that is getting way too close to the beach and I just anchor in the 50-65' area in the nice and safe open area (watch out for the sand bar that uncovers at mid tide and is a great beach and nicer than the real beach as long as you don't go aground on it).

Place is a blast. Maybe I'll see you as I may go depending on the weather etc.
Old 27-08-2012, 10:33   #4

Thanks for the info. I don't mind long dinghy rides. I might even keep the boat at longpoint. Those beaches look pretty cool. I was hoping longpoint would be empty/secluded but I just realized there is a shuttle dropping people to the beach. Are there any quiet, deserted beaches?
Old 27-08-2012, 11:48   #5
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorvati View Post
Thanks for the info. I don't mind long dinghy rides. I might even keep the boat at longpoint. Those beaches look pretty cool. I was hoping longpoint would be empty/secluded but I just realized there is a shuttle dropping people to the beach. Are there any quiet, deserted beaches?

The shuttle only goes to the tip beach area near the lighthouse. If you go further in there wouldn't be anyone who didn't come by boat (and most of the power boaters go to the tip area also).

The Longpoint area could hold a LOT of boats so there will e lots of room.

The best beach is really the sand bar all the way it that uncovers at mid tide. It is a nice soft sand as opposed to the rocky shelly "real" beach (wear shoes etc when landing the dinghy or plan on a cut foot).

If you went into the longpoint anchorage you could land you dinghy and hike across to the cape Cod Bay side that is normally not as crowded.
Old 29-08-2012, 14:13   #6

Provincetown water temperature 66F, Nantucket harbor water temperature 77F. I think i am going to Nantucket after all.