Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2008, 12:38   #1

Antigua to Barbuda

If I and my family were in Antigua for vacation and wanted to find a ride from there to Barbuda for a couple of days how hard would that be..Are there charters to do that kinda thing, or should we hang around the docks and see if a private sail would take us?
Also, does anyone know a place to stay in Antigua and Barbuda that would be fairly nice, but not an all-inclusive resort. I am thinking about taking my family there when my daughters graduate as a surprise..but, I do not have 10 grend to spend.
We are fairly low-key people, but I still want it to be enjoyable and fun for all..
Any info anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
scgilligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 13:16   #2

Are looking to go sailing or do you just want to get there? There's a 90 min. ferry:

The Barbuda Express
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 13:35   #3

Mostly want to get there, but would like to do it on a sailboat if possible..
scgilligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 12:15   #4

SCG: Humm that's a hard one. I did a 10 day charter in May '07 plus lots of on-line research beforehand. I did not see any sailboat rides between the two islands. Plenty around Antigua & into fun areas like Great Bird island or Nonsuch Bay.

You could try to approach a charter company like Horizon & try to arrange for a Captain + crew to do the trip. Given the distance (30+nm depending on departure point) & open waters (hope the family likes bumpy waters) it would require an overnight to spend anytime on Barbuda to see the sights.

Here are a couple of forums where you can inquire further & also get more local info including hotels to fit your needs:
Topics - Antigua and Barbuda Newsgroup

Antigua and Barbuda Forums - TripAdvisor

If You wanted to hitch a ride or make a deal with a private owner, Jolly Harbour or English/Falmouth harbours would be good starting points.
Good Luck
Chuteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 02:43   #5

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Can't provide advice about best way to sail twix the islands, but not all resorts on Antigua will cost you 10K! Right now so much development underway the older places are virtually empty and we found happy to 'negotiate' on price.

We're booked into one on Freemans Bay, English Harbour - called Galleon Beach Resort - cost US$160 for double roomed cottage right on the beach. Could have got it lower if we'd been staying longer than a single night.

Cheers
JOHN
Old 11-01-2008, 09:49   #6

Agree with SM..............There are plenty of hotel/resort/house rentals at all price points. Of course, the winter & sail week are more competitive but just a little shopping will get You a reasonable deal.
Here's another link to help on that
Antigua and Barbuda Hotels: Read Antigua and Barbuda Hotel Reviews and Compare Prices - TripAdvisor
Chuteman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Antigua, Antigua and Barbuda